Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government donates 1 million to Hurricane Disaster

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

kippy wrote:
    Where is the argument?
    The money is already gone and theres nothing you can do about it(thankfully)
    I have better things to do with my time than "argue" with a politically obsessed anti US government and inhumane person.
    Regards,
    Kippy

It would help if you knew how to construct an argument without contradicting yourself and throwing a hissy fit when things aren't going your way. To say that I am inhumane is quite ridiculous when I have already stated that I believe that all offers of asistance should have been gratefully received on behalf of those suffering. If you think politics doesn't come into this then you are deluding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I Don't see the big deal to be honest. Its a token gesture, and the US know if it needed more support it would get it. Its not upsetting taxpayers considering its only 25c per person.

Ireland as part of the EU also opened up its oil reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont think I am throwing a hissy fit.
    I am basicilly admitting that I wont win an "argument" about a subject such as this with a person of your views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

kippy wrote:
    I dont think I am throwing a hissy fit.
    I am basicilly admitting that I wont win an "argument" about a subject such as this with a person of your views.

The funny thing about this is that through contradicting yourself it has become clear that our positions are really not far apart. We both want to see the people who need help receive the help that they need because that is what is really important. Where the aid comes from shouldn't be an issue but unfortunately for those caught up the whole terrible mess, it has become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,725 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Personally, I wouldn't begrudge America the money seeing as it has pumped millions of dollars our way over the years and it has set up many buisiness's as well. Plus we have a very strong relationship with the US and always will, however money given to the US is so so silly really. They have more damn money than sense to be honest. Resources and manpower fair enough, but cash is not the problem in the US. I was disgusted by GOAL'S John O'Shea and his berating of the government for giving it. Fair enough, he may not agree...but isn't he meant to be a genuine merciful person, yet he's begrudging this offer of cash to those in need. Then he's on about giving more to the corrupt regimes in Africa. Something tells me that he is more concerned about his own charity missing out on another windfall......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Irish Government sending 1 million of our money to the richest country in the world,

:rolleyes:

Yes, why are we sending money to Luxembourg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ladypawpaw

Tsunami was different, Africa too. They are not wealthy Governments, we were right to help and I hope we will continue to do so. US is different.

How is it different? Indonesia and the vast majority of african countries are not wealthy BECAUSE they spend millions upon millions on weapons and don't bother with looking after their poor, infrastructure etc.

If you have such a begrudging attitude at least apply it to all nations equally.
    How did such a terrible hurricane occur. Was it Global warming, who would not sign the Kyoto agreement, who was at a republican fund raising dinner the day after the hurricane?

Shocking news - Hurricanes happened long before global warming.

Ladypawpaw, I agree totally. At least money donated to the US govt has a damn better chance of reaching those in need than money squandered to Africa and Asia. Since the Tsunami, all the Irish aid agencies have been doing is thanking the Irish for their generosity, yet they haven't actually told us just how much they all received and where the money has gone and what it was spent on. The lack of traceability and accountability is worrying to be quite honest. If the truth be known, I'd say a lot of money went into the pockets of people not even affected by Tsunami in Asia and Famine in Africa. Where ever there is vast amounts of cash being given for relief, there will be people robbing and defrauding.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ladypawpaw

walshb wrote:
    Ladypawpaw, I agree totally. At least money donated to the US govt has a damn better chance of reaching those in need than money squandered to Africa and Asia.

Actually, the Irish government did not donate a single penny to the US govt. They donated to the Red Cross and other organisations, all of which are accountable.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0905/katrinaaid.html

walshb wrote:
    Since the Tsunami, all the Irish aid agencies have been doing is thanking the Irish for their generosity, yet they haven't actually told us just how much they all received and where the money has gone and what it was spent on. The lack of traceability and accountability is worrying to be quite honest. If the truth be known, I'd say a lot of money went into the pockets of people not even affected by Tsunami in Asia and Famine in Africa..

All the decent Irish charities publish their accounts.
    walshb wrote:
    Where ever there is vast amounts of cash being given for relief, there will be people robbing and defrauding.....

Yes indeed. There have been loads of dodgy donation websites springing up since Katrina.

Ladypaw, can you name any of these decent Irish charities and just because they publish accounts, which they are obliged to do by law, does this automatically make them decent???.....The fact of the matter is that Irish money being given to these charities to be used in India and Africa is not so easy to trace

• Advertisement

Despatch wrote:
    I'm not punishing the poor - their government are doing a fine job of that already.

I'm not saying 'f*uck em' - just that a dose of the realities that millions, possibly billions of people around the world have to face every day will do them no harm in the long run. I would hope that America may have a more humanitarian approach worldwide as a result of this instead of just looking out for No. 1 all the time.

Buddy, the States have donated more money to Africa and Asia and any other poor region in the world than any other country. They have donated Billions of dollars to poor countries and what thanks do they get.....Then the money is squandered and robbed and used to buy weapons. These poor countries of the world will always remain poor, because people are making millions on the backs of the poor. It's terrible, but it is reality. So all this charity we hear of, I'd be ver wary. As far as I'm concerned, where there are poor people, there will be plenty of people ready to make a quick Buck, masquerading as saviours of the poor. That goes to all these so called Africa charities set up in the Western world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Arabel wrote:
    From reading some of these posts it just seems that some people think "f*ck 'em. Their government cant help them enough why should we?"

Is that your attitude?

No. Their government CAN help them. There are lots of deserving people suffering in the world and none of them are in the US. The country is stinking rich and absolutely does NOT need our help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

SofaKing wrote:
    Global warming has been happening for years, well before Kyoto, and besides it hasn't been proved that global warming is causing more hurricane storms.

Kyoto has nothing to do with Katrina. Huricanes have been striking that area since time began. But hurricanes are created by sea temperature and as the sea gets hotter from global warming hurricanes will become more frequent and more violent.

I prefer the Judgement of Allah theory myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

We gave money to aid a relief effort. This country has been doing that for years.

Why bemoan that?

US Foriegn Direct Investment has given many in this country jobs.

The government gave the money to the Red Cross to aid the relief effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Despatch wrote:
    Well it would pay for a few hospital beds for a start wouldn't it?
    We need to have hospital beds here!! Not on another continent!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cronus333 wrote:
    We need to have hospital beds here!! Not on another continent!!
    Aren't hospital beds needed both here and there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Billions of euros are being spent on the health system.

Never has there been more money being spent on health.

Spending more money on health does not get rid of bed blockers or make the system more efficent. It does make people to cop on that eating in burger joints is bad for them or drinking like fish is not grat for ther health.

It is not about putting prefabs outside our hospitals.

This thread is about giving € 1 million to aid the relief effort in New Orleans.

Should Bertie not have comitted 0.7% by 2012?

At what point, should we then to give aid to others?

I don't say that Bertie should not have committed to the .7%, but taxpayers in Ireland have to realise that the target date can never really be set in stone. Things change, economies change. Who's to say that in 2-3 yrs, Ireland could be in dire straits as far as our economy is concerned. Then the target date would be unrealistic.....we as a country give a hell of a lot of money to foreign countries to try help out, yet there are still the so called 'do gooders' are still calling for more and more....Why I ask??...is it really to help alleviate poverty or are they merely on their pedestals trying to make a name for themselves.............

Advertisement