Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Malkmus

• 05-09-2005 5:39pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The mans a genius. Having listened to all 3 albums constantly I think Pig Lib slightly edges it. There is alot of good music out there these days but I don't honestly think there is anything to match this refreshingly quirky rock. Anyone know if he is paying us a visit any time soon. I was privileged to see Pavement long ago in the Music Centre and I would heartily savour seeing this man in action once more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

malkmus's gig in the village last year was amazing. played most of pig lib crowd wasnt really into it but i tought it was quality. Glad i went to see him.

His first album (self titled) is my favourite album. I personally think teaming up with the jicks just make the music seem less rustic and almost as if they are thinking too much about it (if that makes any sense). He seems to turn it around again in the third album. I think not being able to ditch "that ex-singer from pavement" tag has stopped him doing more tours in this neck of the woods. He has said in interviews that he gets turned off by people in the crowd shouting out for pavement songs.

One song to beg/steel/borrow/download Black Book from self titled "stephen malkmus"

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

time flies - the village gig was two years ago! i never got to see pavement, but sm was class that night. gotta say pig lib edges it for me.

"see you in europe sept 16" <--- on official site. fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Fingers crossed indeed. The pavement gig is one of the best gigs I've had the pleasure of witnessing. They were a great band. I can understand Malkmus' annoyance at being asked to play their songs but he was Pavement so it's hardly surprising and the music has similarities. Anyway forgot to mention the great acoustic set+interview he did for kcrw which is available on their site for your viewing pleasure:- http://www.kcrw.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show_code=mb&air_date=6/27/05&tmplt_type=show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

eoinf wrote:
    I personally think teaming up with the jicks just make the music seem less rustic and almost as if they are thinking too much about it (if that makes any sense).

The Jicks were his band for the first record too, but I know what you mean. The first one feels like a solo record and the second sounds like he's trying to be in a band. I really like them both, though, and I haven't heard the third yet. I'd love to see him live.

Advertisement