Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v France + scores

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Well knowing the way the football gods work if we all went to the bathroom or all go get a drink at the same time we just might score! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Ireland look crap, never seen duff or kilbane all day, we deserved to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

God I hate one footed players. Andy reid beat the defender and was clean through inside, then cut back accross him to put the ball on his left foot,bloody terrible to see from a professional.

Ah well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

game over, didn't deserve to win, we're a three man team. and that's it.

btw, well done to northern Ireland, I had a tenner on them @ 25/1.

Little consolation mind you.

Lads 3 missing in cyprus, we won't even win there.

slate me if you want, I'm just sick of the attitude of the commentators, saying it's not over, we can still beat the two left to play and hope for a draw with france and the swiss. That's shti. We won't beat the swiss either.

Very disappointed. 2010 maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Dont think we deserved to loose but we definately didnt deserve to win.

One moment of brilliance from Henry from a lucky break of the ball. Typical.

France looked ****e going forward.

Right so we need france to beat/draw the swis and for us to beat cyprus and the swis we can do it

We can't do it.

Let me explain something to you lads
    We have 13 points
    The best we can do is get to the QUALIFIERS
    We are depending on other people to get results, and you just can't do that. That's utter SHTI.
    We won't beat the swiss.
    We played absolutely crap tonight, we played great in the first half, don't get me wrong, but we were terrible in the second half. You just can't do that. We never looked like scoring after half time. We got tired, we got lazy, our concentration laxed. We were like some poxy team from the eircom league.

O'Shea is unbelievibly sh!te, I watched him in particularly from 75 minutes inwards, he gave away EVERY BALL he got. Ireland deserved to loose lads. I'm sorry, but we have to face the truth. Well done to France, I hope you finish top of the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

While neither team played well tonight, I think its fair to say that the French were far more comfortable both on and off the ball tonight. Ireland never really threatened, and didnt really deserve anyhting out of the game.

Back to the drawing board I guess :(

France are a very poor side. Its just shows how feable this Irish side is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

bizmark wrote:
    Right so we need france to beat/draw the swis and for us to beat cyprus and the swis we can do it

Easier said than done,ah $hite on it anyway.

sjones wrote:

We were like some poxy team from the eircom league.

And you are a regular at eL games I suppose? :rolleyes:

At least with an EL team you will see some battling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bugger.

France didn't deserve to win but it was a great goal by Henry who did nothing else in the game.

Our defense was excellent. Given made one of the best saves I have seen this year, Dunne bar his early errors got better, Cunningham was solid as usual, O'Shea had a workmanlike game. Well all except Carr, it mistifys me how he gets in ahead of Finnian who is a much better player.

Our midfield bar Keane were lightweight. Kilbane has turned back into a donkey, Reid was a headless chicken and Duff bar one run in the first half was just making up numbers. They seemed to want to hold back, I wonder did Kerr tell them to hang back.

Because of this our forwards had really scraps to work off. And then to cap it all he put Doherty on ffs Kerr next time just spit in my face...

gimmick wrote:
    And you are a regular at eL games I suppose? :rolleyes:

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

sjones wrote:
    We were like some poxy team from the eircom league.

Go take a ****ing jump.

^ But if its poxy why bother? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

sjones wrote:
    Yes.

obviously not at any of cork citys european ties! :D (or most league games for that matter). flair and creativity matched by a defensive solidity i have never seen of an EL team before.... ;)

we're all disappointed, but no need to knock the el for no reason whatsoever...

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Go take a ****ing jump.

I don't mean to offend. Really I don't. I don't mean to drag the talent of the Eircom league into this. But we played absolutely terrible in the second half.

How are we going to deal with the suspensions?
    How are we going to beat the Swiss?
    How are France and the Swiss going to draw?

Please lads, don't go making personal attacks against me, I.E the quote at the start of this post. My opinions are my opinions only. We did not play up to standard, if you feel differently, please defend yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

in fairness Kilbane - had a 'Kilbane' game... good then bad.

in the second half - ireland (kerr) didnt have a clue what to do..

why did he doherty for morrison?

on another note - Robbie Keane/Duff hasnt played a good game for ireland since McCarthy left...

flair and creativity matched by a defensive solidity i have never seen of an EL team before.... ;)
    You been eating Richardsons notes ya? :D

we're all disappointed, but no need to knock the el for no reason whatsoever...

Good point

How we are going to beat Cyprus is a mystery to me. Only a bolt of lightening that kills half their team from god, will save us. Then we have the choclate makers in lansdowne in a must win game (remember last time we played them in a must win game). Oh dear, we have just reached a new Pre Jack Charlton era low. THe north winning and us losing.

Kerr looks like a man who tries to do too much. Jackie and Micko always kept it simple and it wasnt the prettiest but it was darned effective. WHo ever heard of trying to sit back giving the french possesion and then trying to win eh??

Then there is the problem that half our team isnt even getting first team football. Thats the problem when you dont even have a properly developed league. Reid hasnt the athletic ability, Robbie had too many beers and was unfit, Clint isnt getting enough football yet and is playing at a low level, Josh isnt getting enough games, Kilbane was never seen, Doc was ineffective up front for a long time so why bring him on??

Whats the odds of the choclate makers pipping us for second position. Bye Bye Germany:D

sjones wrote:

bring in elliot/finnan/kavanagh
    sjones wrote:

1-0, r. keane on 32 mins
    sjones wrote:

they won't. france to win 2-0 and we'll get playoff.

less of the negativity please!

why did he doherty for morrison?

I reckon it was because Morrison was wrecked. He got well tired just before he was taken off, he got clumsy and starting hanging off of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

jubbly wrote:
    How we are going to beat Cyprus is a mystery to me. Only a bolt of lightening that kills half their team from god, will save us.

Match would be abandoned if that happened

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    I don't mean to offend. Really I don't. I don't mean to drag the talent of the Eircom league into this. But we played absolutely terrible in the second half.

Please lads, don't go making personal attacks against me, I.E the quote at the start of this post. My opinions are my opinions only. We did not play up to standard, if you feel differently, please defend yourself.

Leave the Eircom League clubs out of this. The fact that we dont have a proper league developed is part of the problem with Irish football

^^^ Comments like that wont help. Properly developed? How about using the term 'devoloping' rather than play into the palms of the EPL/SPL snipers (not accusing anyone here of anything mind you!)

Apart from Roy Keane tonight, I felt only Richard Dunne can feel happy with his performance (Given had nothing to do, apart from that great save,a nd a finish he could do nada about, thats why Im leaving him out).

Big rebuilding job needed.

less of the negativity please!

I'm not being negative, I'm speaking from the facts. Are you saying we are going to qualify? We are in forth place.

I'm sorry, I love my country, and I love the team, but I'm just speaking from facts, and from the performances that we all have seen tonight, and in previous games.

Face the facts lads, and please get off those clouds.

Andy Reid is no loss anyway. Sure he has a sweet left peg but he doesnt have the fitness to match. Needs to do some serious work on the fitness side of things.

Hopefully Elliott can inject some needed enthusium up front.

Kananagh is solid, he is just our man.

No lightening ?? well I dont know how we will beat cyprus though ?????? well maybe its high time we contacted Nutsy and begged him to release the best Eircom League squad ever assembled to pick up the peices for the country.

^ thats the team who are in 3rd in the eL at the moment ya??? :p

Andy Reid is not unfit. He just isnt the slimmest of players, but hey, nor was Maradonna in his heyday.

Kavanagh, while I agree he is a good player, he should not be first choice. Fine, slot in for Keane if Matt Holland is still injured, but not otherwise.

• Advertisement

not sure if i was watching the right game, :p but i thought andy reid got through the most work for ireland tonight....

Thats right gimmick, the team that bankrupted Split and lost out to a facist steaua team this year. We'll catch derry yet;)

I dont want to be unpatrotic but this Ireland side is muck. Its crap. I think we have built it up to be something that it clearly isnt but we have defintely taken a step back since the likes of Niall Quinn retired.

^ The mighty Split team who lost to FC Thun?

Meh, this is for another thread :p

we bankrupted their club.. they had to sell everyone and had a nightmare of a season this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

****socks.

Just back from the pub and into work smelling of beer. Payed $20 to watch that ****e. Bloody henry.

I know we still have a chance of a playoff place but I'm doubting things will go our way.

No, mismanagement bankrupted. Shels knocked them out of the CL last year.

As for their nightmare season, well they won their Croatian League, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I've been saying it for the alst year and I'll say it again, Brian Kerr is not good enough for this job.

Seriously WTF was that? Absolutley nothing from Ireland tonight. Yet antoher damb squib and lackluster performance to rank alongside Switzerland 2003/2004, Faroe Islands 2004/2005, Croatia 2004, Israel 2005x2, China 2005, Italy 2005.

I have to acknowledge Kerr's tactical genius with his clever double substitution with 15 minutes to save the game...... yes folks Ian Harte and Gary Doherty are really gonna pull soemthing out of the bag aren't they! :rolleyes:

Kerr has to go pronto.

and got hammered in europe. this is for another thread but we did well last season

I've been saying it for the alst year and I'll say it again, Brian Kerr is not good enough for this job.

Ok, Who would do a better job? What would you have done differently with the squad we have that would have made a change to the second half performance of Ireland?
    Seriously WTF was that? Absolutley nothing from Ireland tonight.

That has nothing to do with the squad Kerr selected. It has to do with the individuals, and the opposition we were playing.
    Kerr has to go pronto.

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

just home from the game, not even my usual pint in the local before i hit the sack i'm soo disappointed...

first of all, Kerr hadnt a clue what to do when we went one down, not a clue. where was elliot or ANY other forward, should have pumped them on for the last 15.

secondy, keano had a great game, as did dunne, kenny and the two full backs, but maybe they could have gotten furthur more.

midfield - keano was good, killer was very inconsistant, duff was shyte, couldnt do anything with the ball and reid had his worst performance in an irish shirt.

forward - clint as usual ran his socks off but did nothing... robbie - i'm not gonna even bother to comment,

the french goal was brilliant, only needed 1 chance and took it. crowd were class except for the fat racist in the East Terrace Row 5 seat 71, he quietened his mokey noises and racist chants after we turned on him... how do scumbags like this get a ticket.

i cant even talk really, lost for words, just a cup of tea and bed is in order...

• Advertisement

VinnyL wrote:

the fat racist in the East Terrace Row 5 seat 71, he quietened his mokey noises and racist chants after we turned on him... how do scumbags like this get a ticket.

Are tickets traceable and can this idiot be reported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

sjones wrote:
    Ok, Who would do a better job? What would you have done differently with the squad we have that would have made a change to the second half performance of Ireland?

I said that Kerr should go. I never mentioned who should take over WHEN he leaves. The 2nd half showed the tactical flaws tonight. Nothing created, no flair, no continuity. Trying to get 0-0 draws by playing non-existent football against world class opposition won't qualify you for world cups my friend.

sjones wrote:
    That has nothing to do with the squad Kerr selected. It has to do with the individuals, and the opposition we were playing.

Yes some players were AWOL tonight (Duffer, Robbie) but he's the guy in charge and he hasn't done it the job. No coincidence the performances and results have dissapeared since he has taken charge. Also letting players go out on Friday night boozing days before the biggest game is year isn't going to help things is it?
    sjones wrote:
    Rubbish.

Yes we are playing such great football with Kerr in charge and getting fabulous results, yeah he's totally the right man for the job. :rolleyes:

Kerr to go now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

gimmick wrote:
    Are tickets traceable and can this idiot be reported?

i'd love to report him, there was 4 of us, me dad and our 2 mates. he started calling them **** and monkey chanting henry and them when they came to the touchline to take a throw, we turned around and told him to shut the f*uck up, and he did. for the whole game. sickens me to hear people like this. didnt sing 1 irish song either.

i'm so disappointed right now though, everything went tits up on us tonight. the crowd were great, robbie keane doesnt deserve us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Its not often you'll see me saying this sentence, but I thought Roy Keane had a magnificent game tonight. Himself and Shay Given really stood out for me as the top-class performers. Unfortunately, going forward we had absolutely nothing to show except for the odd long ball to Clinto, and even that petered out in the second half.

I find it hard to criticise when France, with all their star names, weren't really any better apart from one moment of magic from Henry. Zidane was ineffectual, Wiltord and Henry were very quiet, and Boumsong was crap in the first half. For players getting first team football at the very highest level, they certainly didn't embarrass the Irish team in any way, which I think negates the point of the Irish team requiring more players to be playing regularly at a higher level.

I think France will be very very happy to go away with 3 points and watch the Swiss struggle when they visit Dublin. The major downer for me though is that the only teams below us in the group at the moment are Cyprus and the Faroe Islands. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

VinnyL wrote:
    the french goal was brilliant, only needed 1 chance and took it. crowd were class except for the fat racist in the East Terrace Row 5 seat 71, he quietened his mokey noises and racist chants after we turned on him... how do scumbags like this get a ticket.

i cant even talk really, lost for words, just a cup of tea and bed is in order...

I love Shay Given, but I thought he should have saved the goal. He got over in time for the shot but tried to swipe ball away and missed it.

I think he'll be disappointed..... I notice none oif the commentators said it, but it's my opinion on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I thought we were desperately unlucky tonite not to get at least a draw,the bas*ard referee done us no favours whatsover,im too drunk right now to go into players ratings,but overall we definetly deserved at least a draw out of this game and it's very disapointing but all is not lost we're still in with a shout... :)

The French ahve been very poor since winning the EC. Henry does nothing outside the premiership, which is sad for a player of such class. For me that separates him and Bergkamp. Bergkamp was class at all levels. Boumsong is a shambles. Cacked himself whenever the ball came near him.

jonny68 wrote:
    I thought we were desperately unlucky tonite not to get at least a draw,the bas*ard referee done us no favours whatsover,im too drunk right now to go into players ratings,but overall we definetly deserved at least a draw out of this game and it's very disapointing but all is not lost we're still in with a shout... :)

Youd be alone there. The French were terrible, which just makes us look all the worse. Just as well they didnt paly as well as the Italians, could have been embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

We carried very little attack wise in that second half but things could have been so much different . Had A.Reid's pass found Robbie Keane and he had put it in the net we could be celebrating a 1-0 without even remebering how poor we were offensively , the scoreline changes how you think about a game completely .

I would have wanted Finnan to start ahead of Carr and I would have brought on Stephen Elliot not Doherty and Harte . I have shown fate in Kerr but im starting to find him very predictable and I mean that in a bad way . If we qualify he should keep his job if we don't......................

• Advertisement

Culchie wrote:
    I love Shay Given, but I thought he should have saved the goal. He got over in time for the shot but tried to swipe ball away and missed it..

I was going to criticise him a bit for it, but reckoned I'd get slated. I reckon he was a bit far out. If you look at it too he seems to come forward as the ball gets closer and gets caught under the arc of the ball, whereas if he stayed where he was and just moved sideways or even back-tracked slightly he might have got a touch.

Advertisement