Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA Course?

Options
  • 05-09-2005 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place, but anyway.....

Just wondering if anyone has done this? As i have a few questions;

What kind of Network experience would you need going into this course? Is it mainly for experienced workers looking to further their career??

What are the realistic job opportunities after completing the course and passing the exams?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Starts off basic enough i have the course SW and builds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Thanks for the reply

Do you think someone with very basic Network knowledge would struggle? I'm pritty computer savvy, just not very well up on networking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

It's aimed at complete newbies so you'll be ok. Did 3/4 of it before in college and it's not rocket science. If you can read, you can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Where can you do these courses? Im thinking of doing something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

hi,

I did the CCNA course in BCT on Fitzwilliam street (www.bct.ie)...it was about 12/13 weeks long. Passed the CCNA at the end of it (you have to arrange and pay for exam separately (126 euro). Course costs 850 euro. Try to get your work to pay for it if you can.

One bad point was that a few of the students didn't really take it seriously, and so the instructor ended up teaching the same things every week (connecting routers with X-over, setting up telnet access assigning IP addresses etc.). This slowed things up quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Ive looked around and all the course's are too far away. Ive looked online and found you do it online by e learning. Ive always thought doing a course online would not have any weight. Would a ccna qualification from e learning be the same as a college? This is the first time Ive looked into e learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

A cert is a cert no matter where you get it from (maybe except mail order certificates. :D ) Everyone does the same standard of CCNA testing. And I'd never put where I got my qualifications on my CV, the fact is I have them and here is the cert to prove it.

If I was interviewing you and saw you did it by e-learning I'd think to myself that s/he can learn independinantly without any teacher driven instruction. It would be a bonus for me.

Although I'm not a HR manager and my views have been know to conflict with common word... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Im in the same boat as bush, i finished my IT degree in may and im working in a factory to raise money to a masters in a yr/two. And im thinking about doing the CCNA through the fas e-college. I checked out the local I.T. and u can do the course there over 2 years at about 800 euros per year plus exam fee which seems a rip off. So im looking to start the course online soon but since I wont have access to routers etc will this be a major problem?. Any info would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

u can do the course there over 2 years

Two years is an awful long time to do the CCNA over. I'd say 6 months is a more realistic timeframe (I did mine in under 4 months but studied extremely hard)

This might be a stupid question but if I was to go the e learning route would it have to be an Irish e learning site or from any country, is the cert still the same no matter what country it comes from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Also thinking of doing this. Do you do the elearning exam online or how do you organise that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Also thinking of doing this. Do you do the elearning exam online or how do you organise that?

You do the course online.. its just a matter of a few notes and go through it at your own pace usually.. then you have to schedule and pay for an exam seperately.. the exams are usually sat in specific test centres (check out prometric.com)

So could you could get the notes somewhere else and just do the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

bush wrote:
    So could you could get the notes somewhere else and just do the exam?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

ye thats my plan deffo, I got notes off ebay on a disk with loads of other notes on it aswell for A+ and the like. Cost a fiver.

Well thats the way to go then, beats paying WIT a ridiculous 1600 squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Hi :)

Lust let uou know, I did the CCNA course last year...A lot of work but anyone who puts the time in will pass.

You can go to collage like I did, makes things easy as they have all the gear and you have a person there who KNOWS what they are talking about..
    If you cant go for what ever reason..Dont despair...
    You can get the couse that we used online or buy the offical book, or a book by Todd Lammle .... There are simualtions in the Main Exam so you will need to Study and practise, dont just use Testking (but they are good also)

There is a good link you can use..Its not in english :eek: ...but if you look, you can find loads of stuff...PDF files, simulations and the like..
    http://www.net130.com/ccna/

PS have been working with Computer for a number of years and have a degree..But it was the CCNA that got me my networking job so good luck..

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

doing the course at the moment and i was wondering olearydc would you say although it is a cisco certification that it is easy enough to work with other hardware instead of or in conjunction with cisco?

In your opinion what are if any the upside to doing this with your Degree since I want to go on and do my degree next year in DIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

anyone doing the CCNA should check out this site:

http://www.celticrover.com

think you need to make a small donation to access all of the material now but its well worth it...

got me my CCNA...

Advertisement