Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the rest of the survivors

• 05-09-2005 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

been watching the rte one mostly, Im bit confused as to why they don't have the other survivors involved more often, imho you rarely ever even see them in the background, i mean come on give them an occasionaly line, a nod hello as the main characters walk by...i presume specific others will come into the fore in the future,

the only time that it comes to mind that they were in a close up was when korena guy(jin) was fighting michael ( the father).

and the only sort of extra giving any screen was the black women who lost her husband...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I think the 14 or so main characters we have right now is plenty! You can hardly involve each one of the survivors and give them each a backstory. The show's fine the way it is imo.

Well until season 2 that is. US viewers know what I'm talking about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The black woman who lost her husband - her name is Rose.

Firstly, they're another 35 or so survivors - how many backstories do you want?! People (including myself) would quickly lose interest!

Also, how much d'ya think ABC has to be paying these people? Extras get money to be exactly that! Speaking part means some more money - but all the extras having roles in the show would cost an absolute bomb, not to mention a completely ludicrous idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

just an acknowledgement that they exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

just an acknowledgement that they exist

From your original post:
    the only time that it comes to mind that they were in a close up was when korena guy(jin) was fighting michael ( the father).

What about when Sayid and Jack give instructions to them sometimes? Or when you hear some of them pipe up and get nervous when they're told
    The Others are coming?

Is this not acknowledgement enough that they exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

what about Scott and Steve ??? :D or Ethan ?

also i dont want to spoil, but you might get your wish, sooner rather than later, in some regard(before the season is out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

herobear wrote:
    also i dont want to spoil, but you might get your wish, sooner rather than later, in some regard(before the season is out)
    Ah yes.. start of the next episode if i remember correctly! :D

EDIT: Actually.. just checked there.. it's in 'Born To Run' that this character enters the fray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

missed them forgot about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

basquille wrote:
    Ah yes.. start of the next episode if i remember correctly!

EDIT: Actually.. just checked there.. it's in 'Born To Run' that this character enters the fray!

Ive seen all the episodes so this doesnt affect me, but do you gimps have to talk about future episodes so openly in threads not spoiler tagged?

I mean, seeing the episodes before people who arent pirate whores doesnt make you special so can you not just stfu and let people reach the episodes with no predefined thoughts or expectations?

It kinda spoils a show if you go into it waiting to see who "the character that enters the fray" is. Lost is about going in without any knowledge at all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Form the start when they kinda laid down the main carachters i just presumed that the rest of the survivors would be like the guys in star trek in red shirts that go with kirk down to strange planets.

I ain't finished watching it yet so i could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Draupnir wrote:
    Ive seen all the episodes so this doesnt affect me, but do you gimps have to talk about future episodes so openly in threads not spoiler tagged?

Agreed. Spoiler tags please or keep it to yourselves. I don't want to inadvertantly read that something is going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Draupnir wrote:
    Lost is about going in without any knowledge at all.

The hell it is. I want to know as much about it as possible. It's called being a spoiler whore. I knew everything there was about angel season five. And If you have already seen all the episodes don't bitch about spoilers for the first season just because you can. It's really annoying and I would have to assume that any one who uses the "I'm just trying to help the others defence" has some sort of hero complex

The hell it is. I want to know as much about it as possible. It's called being a spoiler whore. I knew everything there was about angel season five. And If you have already seen all the episodes don't bitch about spoilers for the first season just because you can. It's really annoying and I would have to assume that any one who uses the "I'm just trying to help the others defence" has some sort of hero complex

yes, I suffer from a hero complex alright, its side effects include wearing my pants on the outside of my trousers and not being able to be with the woman I love. But I have to live with it, for the good of all Lost fans.

I dont care if you personally are a spoiler whore, thats fine, just highlight stuff, I dont mind reading spoilers for future stuff myself if I choose to, I just dont want to inadvertantly read something that will take away from my enjoyment of Lost.

Im sure if I stuck a massive spoiler for season 2 on here and basquille read it, he would be the first to complain. Its only fair that nobody spoil someone elses fun.

@basquille: Im just using you as the example here since you did the spoilerification above, albeit fairly indirect and ambiguous, it is still spoilerish in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Am I alone in thinking that Lost isn't as good as everyone said it would be. I mean the situation has been done to death, the plot has gotten way out of control (magic numbers? people who rob children? a goddamn polar bear!!?) I have to admit. I've watched every ep in Season 1 and although I thinks its good, its not great. Theres too much bull**** in it. Compared to to some programmes, the old Simnpsons, Friends and Family Guy its a bit crap. I like all the same but its gotten way way out of hand. I also dont want people replying saying " Aw youre an eejit " Everyone I know thinks its crap but each to their own right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

No its just brilliant. IMO And comparing it to comedies?? Come on man! at least compare it to something in the same genre. And Friends was far from brilliant!

How has the plot gotten out of control? apparantly they (the writers) know what they are doing,the polar bear was in the first episode so how does that count as the plot getting out control? I know there is this talk of everything being grounded in reality,but to me,this is a sci-fi show ( hence things you mentioned)...and I dont see it getting out of control,it has only gotten better as the season went on. Seriously,how boring would it be without the island mystery of the hatch and numbers and psyshic kid etc. I guess if you take all that away you have "Survivor" *yawn*!

Yes each to his own,people will not like the show,I dont really care about that,but IMO,none of the reasons you have given or the shows you have compared it to,are valid. :rolleyes: no offense intended.

and when did someone rob kids? not sure I remember what you are talking about there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Sweet wrote:
    Am I alone in thinking that Lost isn't as good as everyone said it would be. I mean the situation has been done to death, the plot has gotten way out of control (magic numbers? people who rob children? a goddamn polar bear!!?) I have to admit. I've watched every ep in Season 1 and although I thinks its good, its not great. Theres too much bull**** in it. Compared to to some programmes, the old Simnpsons, Friends and Family Guy its a bit crap. I like all the same but its gotten way way out of hand. I also dont want people replying saying " Aw youre an eejit " Everyone I know thinks its crap but each to their own right?

Draupnir is going to KILL you! :p

Ah no, I wont, I can only do good, since I have a hero complex and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Sweet wrote:
    I think you just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

Sweet wrote:

.... could you BE any more crap. (everyone knows that got lame after season 3, but thats not the point here).

have you a death wish?... surely in a lost forum, where people discuss lost, the last thing you want to do is slag off lost...

i'm currently in the uk and feel lost has brought a refreshing change to the usual C4/E4 toss (can i say toss), and has actually led to discussions and not just peoplle doing stupid impressions of there favourite bits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Nah Sweet, you're not alone in your thinking. So far I think Lost has been patchy with both good and bad episodes. I've been happy enough to watch, and it's about the only thing I regularly tune in for, but it isn't as great as a lot of television I've seen in the past. I'm thinking Star Trek TNG, Quantum Leap, Firefly all caught my attention and entertained me far quicker and to a better degree than Lost.

I think with more consistently sharp dialogue and a bit more pace the show would go from good to great but as it stands it's a little less rewarding than I'd like it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

No, Earthhorse. Just no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

i have to say, i have come to agree with the opinions of some of the above posters recently. i have an awful fear that the creators are gonna make another 25 eerie mysteries next season then leave the show in ABCs hands so then can go to hollywood to make feature films, and we'll be left with 8 years of X-files style neverending plots. then, in 2015, the last episode will tie up everything as being Jack's food-poisoning induced hallucination casued by raw barbie cooked shrimp on his last day in Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Ha Only kidding. I just wanted to see how many people were personally offended. Im sorry. Im just evil:D I love LOST. I think its one of the best shows of the last decade. Just hope it doesnt go down the old X-Files road!

Advertisement