Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wipe and Reinstall windows xp pro

• 05-09-2005 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

ok I want to wipe my pc as registry is all over the place

Backed up files onto external hard drive

Clicked on install windows xp so I could re-install and it came up with
    Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered

does not give me option to format / wipe even when I re-boot

So how can I wipe it and then reinstall cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

boot from the winxp disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

You shouldn't be doing it from within Windows. Reboot the pc with the XP disc in and check for a message like "press key to boot from cd" during the boot process. If that appears, press a key and the Windows installer will load up and you can reformat from that. You're getting the newer version message from within windows I presume because of any service packs you installed that wont be present on the disc.

If you dont get the boot from cd message, then you'll need to go into the BIOS and make sure that CD ROM is present on the list of bootable devices. You'll usually see it as something like HARD DRIVE then FLOPPY. You'll want the CD ROM to be on that list too, preferably the first item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898594/

and they say Microsoft have no sense of humour.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

You shouldn't be doing it from within Windows. Reboot the pc with the XP disc in and check for a message like "press key to boot from cd" during the boot process. If that appears, press a key and the Windows installer will load up and you can reformat from that. You're getting the newer version message from within windows I presume because of any service packs you installed that wont be present on the disc.

If you dont get the boot from cd message, then you'll need to go into the BIOS and make sure that CD ROM is present on the list of bootable devices. You'll usually see it as something like HARD DRIVE then FLOPPY. You'll want the CD ROM to be on that list too, preferably the first item.

Will try this but bit of a noobie so how do I go into the BIOS and check ?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

cheers[/QUOTE]

Reinstalling Windows xp
    cheers
    Option 1/
    Ok shutdown your pc and then restart it, as it boots up, tap F8 or F11, this will bring you to the WINDOWS ADVANCED OPYIONS MENU.
    place in WinCD in and select boot c drive. or you can do it this way,
    Shutdown your pc and then restart it again, as it boots up, tap F12
    this will bring you to the boot sequence, at the top of the list you should see INTERNAL HDD, and under that CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive’s , now move the CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive to the top of the list (BUT DON’T PRESS ENTER YET) Now place the Reinstalling disk in the drive, and now you can press Enter.

This Will Reinstall Windows correctly. Now during the Reinstall you will be asked to select the free space, FAT or NTFS, make sure you select NTFS. And install a fresh copy erasing all perverse files. (back up your files prier)

I recommend you back up what you want to keep on CD Rom or Memory Key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If you want to completely wipe the HDD, I suggest Boot and Nuke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

cheers

Erm it should say as you boot up "Press such and such a key to enter setup/BIOS"

Generally it's F1 or Delete.

Advertisement