Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Qualified

Options
  • 05-09-2005 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Im looking for some advice on what the best/most relevant Qualifications are availble. Im currently working as a Developer for a company in waterford building mostly web Apps in vb.net. Id like to try and get some Certification and get the boss to foot the bill.

So whats out there, which Microsoft Certs would help me get better employment in or around the South East. I have about 1 year exp using SQL Server 2000 & Vb.NET both 1.1 and im now working with 2.0. So id like to build on those but with the amount of things out there its hard to know what are the best options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm a bit skeptical about vendor certification because:

a) Unlike a 'regular' college qualification, an MSCE or CCNA or whatever can be revoked in total by the vendor if you don't do the updated exams for new products/versions.

b) The actual live Q&A's for these exams are usually bouncing around one of the warez groups on Usenet. Anyone without any prior knowledge could pass these exams if they leeched all the info beforehand.

c) Experience on your CV and your ability to articulate about same at interview time will do a lot more for your chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I agree with DublinWriter. These Microsoft Certs become outdated as soon as they feel like changing/updating the course, leaving you with a pretty piece of paper. I'd say take a 'real' College course in the language you desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I disagree. The microsoft certs are supposed to teach you what you need to know to get cracking and programming in .NET. It's about learning new stuff, its not about getting a piece of paper. If you already know .NET then i wouldn't bother to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The reality is that if an employer is looking for someone, it makes life much easier if you have a piece of paper that says you (at some point at least) have the skills to do it. After that, you have to compete on other things, but that certificate takes you beyond that first hurdle.

If you're looking for a job, and have a piece of paper that proves you can answer those questions, it's an edge: getting a job is all about having that little bit of an edge over the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Experience beats vendor "qualifications", every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Experience + vendor qualifications beats just Experience as well (sadly).

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

I was thinking of doing this :

MCDBA (Microsoft Certified Database Administrator)

* Windows 2000 Server - 70-215
    * SQL Server 2000 Administration - 70-228
    * SQL Server 2000 Database Design - 70-229
    * Windows Server 2003 Administration - 70-290
    * Windows Server 2003 Network Management -
    70-291
    * Electives (one required)
    o Windows 2000 Network Administration -
    70-216
    o Windows Server 2003 Network Planning -
    70-293

Anyone know if its any good ?
    But i cant seem to find it on offer in Waterford. Has anyone tried doing one of these courses at home ? What did you do when it came to the final exams ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

If you're going to get certs , you should get the latest available versions so that the certs last as long as possible. In your case you might want to do the sql 2005 certs which should be released soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

bpmurray wrote:
    The reality is that if an employer is looking for someone, it makes life much easier if you have a piece of paper that says you (at some point at least) have the skills to do it. After that, you have to compete on other things, but that certificate takes you beyond that first hurdle.

If you're looking for a job, and have a piece of paper that proves you can answer those questions, it's an edge: getting a job is all about having that little bit of an edge over the others.

Exactly. As much as I believe programming is a "state of mind" rather than a qualification, bpmurray is correct - getting an extra qualification can only help you/give you an edge/etc.

However, I did find my CS degree to be the biggest waste of 4 years... :)

I know if my old-manager was employing a programmer, he would have been delighted if someone came in with .NET certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Was thinking of the cert route myself. Already got a degree under my belt, but I have opted to do a Masters for a year (well it won't be so bad since I just finished college and will be doing the Masters next year i hope.). May reconsider them after I do that, or maybe I will lose my mind completely and go do a Phd or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

Lads in all fairness, a lot of employers wouldn't look at a Microsoft Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well I remember being given a presentation earlier in the year from a company who swore by Sun Java Certs. I know not the same thing, but I could only imagine a MS .net house would be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

McClane wrote:
    Lads in all fairness, a lot of employers wouldn't look at a Microsoft Cert.

It'll get you the interview though.

Managers come in all different shapes and sizes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

It'll get you the interview though.

Managers come in all different shapes and sizes...

True.

But at the same time i know an employer who told me he would purposely put a CV down as soon as he saw MCS*. Believes they are a mickey mouse qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

McClane wrote:
    True.

But at the same time i know an employer who told me he would purposely put a CV down as soon as he saw MCS*. Believes they are a mickey mouse qualification.

That's good to hear, that's exactly the kind of employer I'm hoping to avoid...another plus for having the certs :) I've had too many gobsh*te mickey mouse employers. Having the microsoft certs proves you are commited and determined if nothing else, any employer that dismisses them as being bullshict is an idoit.

Advertisement