Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody into Dylan? Bowie? Pink floyd?

Options
  • 05-09-2005 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right section or not, but couldn't really find anywhere else.. Just curious, are Dylan listeners a thing of the past? Or do 'the youth of today' still bob to Bobby? Who's going to the concert?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Can't say I've ever been a fan of Bob Dylan, but David Bowie and Pink Floyd absolutely rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Bowie and Floyd are great but i also never really got into bob dylan,that said ive never really sat down and listened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd are excellent

David Bowie is quite good too but i have never really listened to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Down with Dylan. As for Floyd, just reminds me of being stoned too much :) but yea defny would be into them. Bowie is alright, not my favourite cup of tea but like Dylan he's done so many goddamn albums there's one for everyone really, maybe I've just not found mine yet....

I like Dylan a good bit, but sometimes his songs are best sung by someone else....like on his last new release he had an AMAZING song called Mississippi, and he just cruxcified it really, but some female artist sung it (I think it was Sheryl Crow-could be wrong now) and it sounded like it was meant for her.

As for Floyd, try some other prog stuff like King Crimson, Yes and the mad ass Van Der Graff Generator (who kinda scare me a lil-eep, hides behind sofa)

Maybe we need a "Dad Rock" forum, as the rock/metal forum seems to be a bit on the modern more metal side-not saying that's a bad thing tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Yeah of course.

I love Bob Dylan, I haven't listened to Pink Floyd much, but I recently got The Wall, so I must start listening to that. David Bowies earlier stuff is fantastic! I wasn't a big fan of his 80s poppy stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Dylan is fantastic (for the most part), I didn't get tickets for him this time round cause I saw him in Kilkenny a few years back and was bitterly dissappointed, so I just couldn't justify spending the money on an evenings entertainment that could turn out to be awful......that said,a couple of days after the tickets sold out, i regretted not buying one :rolleyes:

i actually don't think he should be consigned to a 'dad rock' forum, neither should the likes of Pink Floyd of Bowie becuase for my part I still think they are popular with us 'young folk' today.....(i just didn't want to use the 'transcends generations' cliche)

I remember getting the double CD 'best of Bowie' album a couple of years ago for only €10 , I still consider it the best buy ever!

Alana wrote:
    Maybe we need a "Dad Rock" forum, as the rock/metal forum seems to be a bit on the modern more metal side-not saying that's a bad thing tho...

Nothing wrong with posting about any of the bands here, so there's no need for another forum.
    Also, the term "Dad Rock" is just ****ing horrible.

You're right though, King Crimson are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Love them all. Seen Dylan twice and I thought the Kilkenny gig was amazing. The last one he did at the Point however has put me off ever going to him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Im a big Dylan fan like bowie and cant stand Floyd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

cause I saw him in Kilkenny a few years back and was bitterly dissappointed

Why!? I did get tickets this time - never seen him before. I was a bit apprehensive at first as his voice has really deterioated over the years and I thought maybe it was best not to ruin my perception of him. Having a good voice is as important as good lyrics to me. So what was it that caused you to be dissapointed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

God, I hate the phrase "dad rock"!!!

Love Dylan, Love Floyd and resisted Bowie for years, liked the odd song but never owned any of his CDs. When they released the 30th anniversary editions of Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane, though, I bought them and was won over. Went to see the gig in the Point on the Reality tour and was blown away - one of the best gigs I've ever been at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Why!? I did get tickets this time - never seen him before. I was a bit apprehensive at first as his voice has really deterioated over the years and I thought maybe it was best not to ruin my perception of him. Having a good voice is as important as good lyrics to me. So what was it that caused you to be dissapointed?

Well I enjoyed the rest of the kilkenny gig - Elvis Costello etc but when Dylan came on they turned off the screens and I'm not all that tall so it was impossible to see me, he seemed to do a lot of obscure tracks and any of him more popular tracks he did in a very down tempo manner.....(and yes I did know more than 'knockin' on heavens door' when I went to see him)

but theres the thing i heave heard many conflicting reports about Dylans gig recently, I guess its as much down to the spectator as it is down to Dylan.....anyway, I hope you enjoy the gig, don't let me put you off! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Good! So people still listen to them!

I'm dying for the Dylan concert, but now I don't know what to expect! I guess I'm gonna have to get baked before it so it'll be brilliant! :D

I'm going the second night..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Havent really listened to dylan...Bowie is really good...Love Pink floyd -Money..as for their other stuff...nah..a bit boring imo...like...10 mins of bell ringing.. :(

Do..you..always...type...like..that?

actually..now that you mention it..i do..is that going to be a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

i actually don't think he should be consigned to a 'dad rock' forum, neither should the likes of Pink Floyd of Bowie becuase for my part I still think they are popular with us 'young folk' today.....(i just didn't want to use the 'transcends generations' cliche)
    Speaking as an under-20 I can say that Dylan and especially Bowie are seriously respected and Floyd are still a worhipped idol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I second the above message. I love Bowie and Dylan and like Floyd. I've never bothered to really listen to Floyd though. Must get round to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

pink floyd are wicked just listen to animals... dylan is ok but i never liked bowie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

I see what you're talking about, it's understandable to dislike any of them because they're all kinda quirky and weird. And I also totally understand not listening to Floyd all the way through an album. Such longand demanding songs! They'd be a chore if they weren't so good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Pink Floyd are amazing. No question.
    There is noone like them. Not even close.

Wish You Were Here is a F**king masterpiece, and the Wall is the best concept album ever written.

I only have 'Dark side of the moon' it's pretty good.I'm not their biggest fan but the song 'Money'.Pure Brilliance in my opinion. :eek: 'Another brick in the wall'Another great song.
    What you must give them is that are different and unique.That's what i admire them for.They were good at Live 8 considering they havn't spoken or played together for 25 years previous.
    I was surprised they didn't play 'Another brick in the wall' though.I preferred the original singer aswell but the one who played at Live 8 was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

SebtheBum wrote:

Apart from Can, who were better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Do you mean Syd Barrett? He went off his nut in the late 60's.The live 8 line up was THE line up.Roger,Dave,Nick and Rick. Love the Floyd with a passion.Seen them in Earls Court in 94.Past their prime then but it was still a landmark in my life.Never forget that one. Dylan is great too.Still listen to his early stuff now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

only really listened to pink floyd and have to say they are not my cup of tea at all. My flatmate has most of there stuff and I think their songs can become tiresome

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I like Bob Dylan's songs but strangely I'm not too fond of his voice.
    I haven't heard much Pink Floyd but thought they were brilliant at the Live 8 concert, the same could prolly be said for Bowie too but I really like his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Bowie ****ing rocks! the other 2 I haven't really listened to. and the fun part is that Bowie has been around since the 60's, yet he's still attracting young fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I never got used to Dylan although one can´t deny him being a strong influence on many musicians.

Pink Floyd had their highs but IMHO went too commercial with "The Wall".

Bowie on the other hand simply is a living legend. He may not always have delivered quality albums but generally speaking his music is exceptional in a very positive way.

Thumbs up for Bowie, he is the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

SebtheBum wrote:

Wish You Were Here is a F**king masterpiece, and the Wall is the best concept album ever written.

I disagree. I´d rather listen to KISS´ "The Elder" when it comes to concept albums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement