Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If i buy a psp in any store in dublin.......

Options
  • 05-09-2005 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,098 ✭✭✭✭

will i be able to swap it for another if it has dead pixels?

by dead pixels i mean even 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

apparently not. a mate of mine got one and his psp had 1. he went back to where he bought it and they sad no unless more turn up. another 8 have burnt out on him so he is going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Have Sony actually released the returns policy yet? I'd wait before buying one until they do.

well in the other regions sony did not cover dead pixels. Nintendo however did. Nintendo ftw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

evad_lhorg wrote:
    well in the other regions sony did not cover dead pixels. Nintendo however did. Nintendo ftw ;)

Fanboy eh? Ve hav vays ov making you talk.

"ve vant ze money Lebowski" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

the names dude, or el dude-erino

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

‘Legally speaking’* the answer in the Republic is you are entitled to a return as the device has not fully fulfilled it’s purpose. However, what’s happening on the ground looks to be quite a different story, as apparent from the above posts. Sue them!**

* = I’m not a lawyer, and none of my post should be seen as legal advice, because they’re not, ** = again, this not legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My mates one had 2 dead pixels. He brought it back to where he bought it, Game, and they showed him some thing by sony that said they wouldnt not return PSPs unless there were more than 6 dead pixels or some stupid **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its the same deal with LCD monitors - when it has below a certain number of dead/stuck pixels, it is deemed not faulty. This number can change depending on the location of said pixels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Has anyone with dead pixels brought up their statutory rights and demanded a refund? I'm pretty sure if they did they'd have a good case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,098 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the problem is of course is that the device is 'fit for the purpose intended'

as long as it complies with whatever iso it should then a certain number of defective pixels are acceptable,

you could kick up all you want it wouldnt do any good tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Serves ya all right for buying a PSP, should have kept your money for a proper console. :p

Cyrus wrote:
    the problem is of course is that the device is 'fit for the purpose intended'

as long as it complies with whatever iso it should then a certain number of defective pixels are acceptable,

The courts are really the only body in this fair land to give a call on that one. Not you, me, an ISO, Sony, or a retailer.

It sounds like a job for the Small Claims Court, any one affected should also contact the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs, and maybe the Consumers' Association of Ireland...

the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs
    http://www.odca.ie/

the Consumers' Association of Ireland
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

(about) the Small Claims Court
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court.html

Cyrus wrote:
    you could kick up all you want it wouldnt do any good tho

Oh, ffs!

sorry i didnt mean to offend you but a few moons ago i was a young impressionable student and i studied the law of this fair land.

If a product is manufactured in accordance with the industry standards then it cannot be classed as defective despite what you may think

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_Pixel_Error

You could waste your time with small claims courts etc but again i reiterate it is futile, now if you have say 5-6 dead pixels on a small screen like a psp it will most likely not comply with the industry standards and therefore you have a valid claim.

Unfortunately in ireland some people believe that kicking up a fuss no matter whether they are right or wrong is the way to go about resolving a problem, without a grasp of the laws and regulations pertaining to the particular situation

i asked originally as i wasnt sure what sonys policy was however it seems like most others they are going with the iso standards instead of better which is there perogative.

Another point worth mentioning, if all tft panels were pixel perfect the cost of production would be mugh higher as would the cost of purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Can't you ask them to demo you the unit in the store before you hand over the cash?

not really cause that involves breaking the seal on the machine and if you change your mind then they have broken the seal and i for one wouldnt be happy with an opened machine. also the problem with dead pixels is they may not be there from the start or be viewable on certain colour backgrounds. they can burn out randomly. like a mate of mine had one dead pixel which had turned into 8 by two days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

K-TRIC wrote:
    Serves ya all right for buying a PSP, should have kept your money for a proper console. :p

cleverest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Can't you ask them to demo you the unit in the store before you hand over the cash?
    I had a similar problem with a Sony Vaio that I bought in the UK a number of years back. The dead pixel appeared after a couple of day's usage, so seeing it in the shop wouldn't be any good.

Sony's policy was that they wouldn't replace it unless it developed more than 8 dead/faulty pixels.

IBM's policy is that the won't replace their Thinkpads unless they develop more than 15 dead/faulty pixels!

It's an interesting legal arguement and I've yet to see anyone go to the Small Claims Court.

Personally, I think it would stand a chance it could be legally argued that the vendor/manufacturer is predefining what 'fit for purpose' is without informing you. Where in the bumf do you get with the PSP does it say that 8 dead pixels contitutes a fault? No where.

That's a bit like them saying "We will only define the unit as not working if it bursts into flames at 3pm on a Sunday" and not admitting that anything else is a fault.

Cyrus wrote:
    sorry i didnt mean to offend you but a few moons ago i was a young impressionable student and i studied the law of this fair land.

If a product is manufactured in accordance with the industry standards then it cannot be classed as defective despite what you may think

It looks as if you’re trying to say/imply/infer that an Irish court is legally compelled by "industry standards".
    Cyrus wrote:
    You could waste your time with small claims courts etc but again i reiterate it is futile, now if you have say 5-6 dead pixels on a small screen like a psp it will most likely not comply with the industry standards and therefore you have a valid claim.

I never named an amount of dead pixels, but I dont think anyone would even think about action if they had under "say 5-6 dead pixels".

monument wrote:
    I never named an amount of dead pixels, but I dont think anyone would even think about action if they had under "say 5-6 dead pixels".

They wouldnt need to if they had over that as Sony would happily replace it :confused:

• Advertisement

and re the courts being compelled by industry standards, you are right, they aren't

however, they are highly unlikely to find a product is not fit for the purpose intended if it complies with the aforementioned standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

boring..

if its bored you and you got this far next time stop reading at the start :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Do the irish ones have the same crap screen the US ones had? or the good jap one.
    Nothing to stop you damaging the screen yourself and getting a full cash refund, except the law and morals...

Cyrus wrote:
    They wouldnt need to if they had over that as Sony would happily replace it :confused:

In my last post as well as all my post on this thread, I was talking purely under the premises of if there was a problem in returning such a product to a shop.

Gizzard wrote:
    boring..

Thanks for making it even more so, now stay on topic.

Personally, I think it would stand a chance it could be legally argued that the vendor/manufacturer is predefining what 'fit for purpose' is without informing you. Where in the bumf do you get with the PSP does it say that 8 dead pixels contitutes a fault? No where.

That's a bit like them saying "We will only define the unit as not working if it bursts into flames at 3pm on a Sunday" and not admitting that anything else is a fault.

Nearly all they have to say (before selling the units) is something like "some pixels may go dead/idle, we will not replace such unless blah blah blah...." and they are reasonable covered, but it doesn’t look like most or any one is doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My laptop LCD didn't have a single dead pixel. Well until I put a crack in it. Now it has about 1000 dead pixels.

Advertisement