Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lcvp

Options
  • 05-09-2005 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

what are your views on this subject??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

well from wat you told me sounds like a good idea but im a lazy person so i dunno!lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

it's still in the very early stages so it's hard to know. it's only been out since 94.. i know that's 11 years, but for something as big as this, that's relatively early.

Is it worth a full subject now? It was only at 70 points max when I was doing the Leaving, and that was only for certain colleges...I think.

I (personally) never saw the point of doing it, and was glad to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

it seems as if maybe, I'm not trying to generalise, for the academically challenged, as it is far more flexible, thus making it a bit easier to organize, learn in your own time, etc..

Shrimp wrote:
    learn in your own time, etc..

Heh, I re-read over my post when I wrote it, and decided to chuck in "(personally)". I understand why such a program would exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

yeah thats what i think too...but all of my year were MADE do it!! its a new thing that they made it compulsory for all 5/6th years starting when i started 5th year!! I find it useless really...tho can be good for those who mightnt get on great in other subjects! and yeah its still only a max of 70 pts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Imo its plain useless. You better off spending the time concentrating on another subject or even pick up a new subject. A lot of people say its almost impossible to get the top marks too. Its a bit annoying too to have all them projects done and all when you have better things to be doing.
    just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

in my school lcvp is optional but i chose not to do it cuz they also have the option to do religion as an 8th subject.whats the point in doin lcvp when you can only get 70 whereas theres a possible 100 in religion???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Myth: All colleges recognise it for 70 now

Webmonkey: Not really. It's useful if, say, you're bad at languages, you can neglect your irish and your french points. A lot of people will get less than 70 points in a subject, and a distinction in LCVP is pretty piss easy.

katiegordon: Yes, can you obtain an easy 60% in your religion exam before you so much as think about doing a test

In my school tis optional and you get the LCVP classes in place of SPHE, computers and Guidance, so no loss. And in the last year I haven;t done a stitch a work outside of class and i have 4/6 partrs of my portfolio done. So there's no real disadvantage, IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Sorry for dragging this thread up. But my school is giving us the choice of doing the LCVP or not. I just have one question, If I get a distinction, does that mean 70 points get automatically added to my total points. And all third-level institutions will recognise it? Will it imrpove my chances of getting into college significantly though, or will it just be a waste of time? I really can't decide and the school I go to didn't really tell us anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Alvis wrote:
    If I get a distinction, does that mean 70 points get automatically added to my total points.

no. this is the stupid thing... it only replaces your worst subject. so if you dont get under 70 points in anything, it's a big waste of time.

heres my view:
    -dont do it, spend the time studying instead.
    -you'll need 6 c's in order to not do it.
    -i figured, hey im gonna get 6 c's.
    -if i did it i'd probably not get a distinction anyway cuz it's extra unecessary work which i wouldnt have time for.

i detest people that do LVCP and get a's in everything. it's a safety net but do the normal work properly and there's no need for it.

its a sign of confidence by not doing the lcvp. it shows you believe in yourself that you can get 6 c's minimum. my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SirCretop

ur right smemon. but, when i was in 5th yr I did not realise it was only worth 70 points. i thought it was 100 so i kept it on cos i thought it was pretty easy. Im in lc year now and it ain't. too much extra work and time which cud be used to study other stuff. but i've finished my portfolio so i might as well take the exam and see what happens. hopefully i wont be using it in my points calculation though.

http://theconvoyseptictank.blogspot.com

smemon, I thought your entire LC strategy was trying not to show confidence so everyone else would be lulled into a false sense of security

Anyway, I recommend LCVP, because my portfolio work was always done inside class, never did work at home, and the exam itself is easy. And, best of all, you sit the exam before the actual LC so it can't interfere with your study schedule. Nothing to lose by taking it, and it gives you a ncie fallback if you fuck up on the day

Raphael wrote:
    smemon, I thought your entire LC strategy was trying not to show confidence so everyone else would be lulled into a false sense of security

true, but as im giving advice to someone who wants to make a decision between LCVP or regular leaving. as these people don't sit the same year exams as me, they don't affect my results so my tactics go out the window.

this is where im the nice guy and offer my no-nonsense advice.

basically, if your stupid, do it. if your smart, dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Now, I did very well in the Leaving Cert, and I did LCVP. I didn't use it as one of my subjects for calulating points. What I think people are missing here is that one doesn't have to study for LCVP: it's a test of one's common sense. One doesn't even have to take a week off school to do work experience. I did the recorded interview instead, which took me ten minutes one morning. I had to take another day off to run my mini-company. I fail to see how maybe twelve to fifteen hours' additional study of one's traditional academic subjects could improve one's grades immensely. I can't say my traditional subjects suffered as a result of doing LCVP. I got my first choice on my CAO form, and I was very happy with my Leaving Cert results. It's no harm having a Distinction in LCVP along with other good grades.

The LCVP exam is months before the normal exams, and is, in all fairness, so easy a clever dog could probably do it. It's in the portfolio that the high marks are to be gained.
    smemon wrote:
    basically, if your stupid, do it. if your smart, dont do it.
    I disagree entirely. Anyone, who feels that doing very, very little work, thereby earning him/her a further qualification, is a good thing, in my opinion, ought to take LCVP.

Okay so out of the 600 points possible, Are 400 of those points reserved or already allocated to your my core subjects? (Irish, english, maths and german). Therefore if I do ****e at those four they still use those scores along with your two best optionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Nope, your best six are counted

Okay thanks for all your suggestions. I have decided not to do the LCVP.

Alvis wrote:
    Okay thanks for all your suggestions. I have decided not to do the LCVP.

good man. it's only worth 70 points, so why put time into it when you could put that time into a 100 points subject?

provided you pass everything, it will have been a good choice. im on course for getting above 420 in the leaving so i can say i made a wise decision by doing the same thing you did.

ive enough on my plate atm aswell without having to worry about interviews and portfolios at this time of year. it's not worth the hassle. wise decision alvis.

it's easy to be brainwashed by the people that sell it. (i.e. teachers)

Why is it that you only ever rebuff your points when someone agrees with you, and just completely ignore a thread when someone makes good points against you?

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:
    Why is it that you only ever rebuff your points when someone agrees with you, and just completely ignore a thread when someone makes good points against you?

*ignores raphael* ;):p

only messin. what thread did i ignore? i dont leave a thread because im being argued against (rockerette as a witness), im more likely to forget about a thread or not be on in a few days and have it relegated to the 2nd page.

It's not that you ignore threads, just other peoples posts. The ones that argue against you. you wait until someone else has replied agreeing with you to post again. I'm just commenting on it. It interests me.

Oh, and incidentally, RE: your last post about not having time for dealing with portfolios this late in the year; I spent my LCVP class today on boards.

Raphael wrote:
    It's not that you ignore threads, just other peoples posts. The ones that argue against you. you wait until someone else has replied agreeing with you to post again. I'm just commenting on it. It interests me.

Oh, and incidentally, RE: your last post about not having time for dealing with portfolios this late in the year; I spent my LCVP class today on boards.

yeah but the fact of the matter is that you have done an interview and portfolio and spent time doing it. that time could have been spent strengthening your weaker subjects.

plus, lets not forget theres no guarantee if you do the lcvp you'll get 70 points, if you get 50 - well it really is/was a big waste of time. (irrelevent of how much time was put into it, it was still time and work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

I'm doing it. I don't like my language and probably won't get high in it.

That's not the fact of the matter. At all. I have done an interview and portfolio, yes, but I couldn;t have spent that time strengthening my other subjects. Because if I hadn't been doing LCVP, that time would have been spent in SPHE and computers classes, which are a complete waste of time.

well where i am, it's lcvp or study classes.

we get 4 study classes in total (over 2 hrs) during the week whilst the rest do lcvp.

in my case, i felt that this time would be better spent on my regular subjects rather than taking on another one (which is effectively what your doing by doing lcvp).

Ah, fair nuff. Spose the feasibility of the LCVP depends on what classes it replaces in your school/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

lcvp cannot be counted as a subject. it's too easy and does not take up time (oh no i have to type up a CV *shock horror!!*)

Advertisement