Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steamboy?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

Is this any good? ive read a few things about it and it interests me. I assume it isnt out here yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just got the DVD the other day and I was meaning to start a thread about it.

It's pretty good. The animation and design are just simply outstanding... You can tell this cost a lot of money to make as it has a running time of over 2 hours and that's pretty damn long for a cartoon.

The storyline and theme are pretty good, as are a lot of the characters... But I think Steamboys biggest failing is Steamboy himself... he simply isn't a compelling character in anyway whatsover and the film sort of drags him along in the plot.

So anyway.. it's an amazing looking film and certainly one that you should have in your collection... it just seems to be missing that certain something that would make it a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

It was meant to be released here, but Sony made a bit of a balls up. Rumours got out that the disc was going to be a bit crippled, containing single audio only original feature length rather than directors cut and no extras.

Naturally everybody started buying up the perfectly kitted out Australian version from CD-WOW (R2,R4&R5). Still haven't made time to watch it though ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I plan to watch this soon but I have a good amount of other stuff to see first.

Saw Appleseed in the cinema and didn't think it was too hot. Hopefully this wont be another anime film that looks great with a weak story to back it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i saw this about a month ago and very unimpressed. maybe i was expecting too much but i just thought the plot was slightly daft (but then again its anime what do i expect). The style of animationis similar to that of the "cannon-fodder" section of memories, which i liked. but this is from the guy that made akira and i suppose i was kinda expecting some miyazaki-ness (u know, every film is as good or better than its predecessor). but thats just me, i didn't like it. end of story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

A director's cut is coming out on region 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I would have expected this to hit the UGC at some stage...

Not going to happen? Thought it definetly would seeing as they showed The Cat Returns (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347618/) - and that would have a much lower profile.

I've even been holding out from downloading it (legally of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is the directors cut the longer version or the shorter version?

Because it's a pretty damn long film as it stands... It really doesn't need to be any longer.

I don't know, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elfpoo

I'm not sure if the director's cut is longer but according to Amazon it runs for 126 minutes. Not sure how long the regular version is.

Basically, if you're expecting another Akira (or something better) you're going to be disappointed. That said though, it is a good movie and very enjoyable. Does it have its flaws? Sure, but most things do!

As long as your expectations aren't unrealstically high you'll probably enjoy it.

*barRy*

elfpoo wrote:
    Basically, if you're expecting another Akira (or something better) you're going to be disappointed. That said though, it is a good movie and very enjoyable. Does it have its flaws? Sure, but most things do

Otomo directed the 'Cannon Fodder' episode of Memories, which was not in a typical anime animation style. More like traditional western animation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Raziel wrote:
    Otomo directed the 'Cannon Fodder' episode of Memories, which was not in a typical anime animation style. More like traditional western animation.

Huh? Who mentioned Memories? I think he meant in terms of, y'know...quality.

Oh. Right. :D

Watched the director's cut of this tonight-beautifully made, but I wouldn't really call it a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

i watched it in japonese great but it seems to lack something

Advertisement