Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcades around dublin

Options
  • 06-09-2005 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Im basically doin this to get a list of Arcades around dublin and what games are in them, and also the prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Theres a really dodgy place just off Talbot street... not sure about the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Dublin has such terrible arcades. What we need is for someone to come along and open up a professional arcade, for true gamers, with bouncers who only let you in if you answer some gaming trivia correctly. And it would always have the newest games and the machines would be well arranged and well kept. It could become a Mecca of sorts. :eek:

There's an arcade in the Omni Centre in Santry and one in the indoor lane behind UGC on Parnell St. Don't have any details on either. I don't much like either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a really crappy one in the Square... Atari Expo. But it *does* have an Outrun 2 machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Rhyme wrote:
    Theres a really dodgy place just off Talbot street... not sure about the prices.
    That's Barney's.. It used to be pretty good back in the day... I couldn't really tell you what it's like these days though.

There used to be a lot more arcades around the city centre... but most of them have just turned into full blown slot houses now.

Back in the 90's I used to do a radio show and as part of it I would go around the various arcades in the city centre and ask gamers for their opinions... haha... that was a risky job by times.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The one on the west side of the top of O'Connell Street is fairly decent.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    The one on the west side of the top of O'Connell Street is fairly decent.
    Oh yes... next to the Garda Station... it's called Ned Kelly's isn't it?

The Hide Out on South Williams Street also used to be a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Think he means Quirkies which is a kip a nice clean kip with 1 playable game , Soul Calibur 2 the rest are just gimick boxes.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Think he means Quirkies which is a kip a nice clean kip with 1 playable game , Soul Calibur 2 the rest are just gimick boxes.

kdjac
    But it's full of so many horrible, horrible children... gutter urchins the lot of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Dr. Quirkies is really the only choice. I just go in and play 20 games of Outrun 2 SP when I'm there (I was in there last friday and got 1st and 2nd place in Heart Attack mode :D - JAM). The rest doesn't really have alot of replay value. And the fighters are priced at 1e a pop so there will never be any kind of good Vs fighting scene there.

There's another arcade I've found recently with Metal Slug and a couple of KoF games (99 and 2001 I think it was). If you're coming across the bridge into the north side and take a right at the spire. It's on the right hand side. The cabinets are wrecked old Electrocoin games. They're cheap though. Had a reasonable time playing some Chinese guys there last week. No up-diagonal on the stick makes things tricky though!

They also have Astro Cities with IGS Mahjong. A bit of an oddity in Ireland I think you'll agree.

A good arcade for me would have 20 or 30 clean JAMMA cabinets. 5 or 6 good Vs fighters, 5 or 6 good Shmups and a range of classics. Classics at 20cent. New stuff at 40cent.

Problem with Irish arcades is they aim for the tourists and shoppers, not the gamers. It's all dance games, lightgun games and gimmicky ****. Nobody is going to keep coming to an arcade if its 2 euro for 5 minutes. You can go down the road to the internet cafe and play Battlefield 2 for an hour for 2 euro. Or you can go to the cinema.. businesses live and die by return custom. Nobody can afford those kind of prices for **** sake.

People go on that arcades are dead because of consoles. But that's total bull****. CD sales don't kill live music. DVD hasn't killed cinema. They're separate experiences with largely separate audiences. I for one like playing games with other people a hell of alot more than sitting at home and playing them over Xbox Live.

I used to love going over to Trocadero in London (it closed last month) and watching someone one credit both loops of Raiden 2 and Strikers 1945. Or parry someones entire special combo in Street Fighter 3: TS. Even the dance games were a ****ing riot. No chicks in white trousers and hoopy earing hanging onto the bar an stepping there. There were peeps doing ****ing handstands and incredibly cool freestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'd wager a cheap, well-run arcade with lots of different types of games would do very well in Dublin. Unfortunetly, amusement centres have been locked into this mentality of charging one to two euro coins for their machines.

It's dissapointing how it has to be this way. I was hoping Atomiswave would help revive the industry since the price of their machines are low, but let's face it, the only thing the arcades here are interested in the gimmicky shít. A full change needs to be made across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

*Ahem* Couldn't one of the real problems be skangers?
    I think we have too many hanging round arcades! :D

That and the arcades aren't true arcades; most of it's just pool and gambling machines :mad: They should be outlawed!!

Oh, and let's not forget locations.
    We need SF2/3/Alpha machines in every café!! Then we'll have the scene we want! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

Barneys used to be excellent.

I play tekken a lot. First one i played in the arcade was TTT in barneys, was brilliant. Then it went all crappy with silly games, where u could gamble. Quirkies is the only option at the mo, and it is a rip-off. Luckly i dont have to put in that muxh if im playin someone. Is should be 3 games for a euro. The hideout was great cause it had TTT, and u got 4 games for a euro. Also lots of institute heads used to go in and think they were good and used to boast. Very funny outcomes. Does anyone know The atari expo in tallaght? What does it have? T5?

Quirkies : Machines

Outrun 2, Initial D 3, Fast and the Furious, Time Crisis 2,3, Tekken 5 ( 4 cabinets, 1st and 3rd and 3 games for 2 euro), Tag, Soul Caliber 2, Three punching games ( there great ), i movement sensor boxing games, virtual soccer 3, virtual tennis 2, Bull wrestling game, other racing games like Initial D, Dancing games, SW Pod Racer, Ferrari 360 game, House od the Dead 2.

Is the arcade in the Parnell Centre still open?

It's in the little mall behind the UGC (now Cineworld) cinema... it's a total rip off... they have an old Pac-Man cabinet and they have the cheek to ask for €1 a credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It was a couple of months ago so I assume it still is.

Yeah its still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I was in quirkeys today for the first time about about 8 years. it is the best of a very bad bunch tbh. i love the namco and sega fighting game and sports games machines that allow you sit down. saw some guy playin soul calibur 2.i couldve taken him :D . pity they dont have any older arcade machines like third strike or marvel vs capcom or stuff along those lines.

the outrun sp machine is great. really wanted to play but these two guys were hoggin em.

I was in quirkeys today for the first time about about 8 years. it is the best of a very bad bunch tbh. i love the namco and sega fighting game and sports games machines that allow you sit down. saw some guy playin soul calibur 2.i couldve taken him . pity they dont have any older arcade machines like third strike or marvel vs capcom or stuff along those lines.

U should have gone in at 6 to see some Tekken 5 action.

Speakin of the best game ever, my firend and I maybe organisin a t5 tournie in trinity, many interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

im not in trinity but yea id go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Dr Quirkeys Died when they took out the simulator.

I think someone should open a decent arcade in Dublin, no slot machines, games >50c. Proper games, not gimmacky ones, including classics like Metal Slug and Street Fighter 2. That'd be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭mokeymokey

i am always in dr.quirkey's i am addicted to the dance machine. i will have a full list of the 3 arcades in dublin (dr.quirkeys barneys and centery city (which has an awsome family night every tuesday €5 for 4 hours play 6p.m till 10 p.m) on monday

• Advertisement

Im mainly interested in ones outside dublin city centre, as i know all the ones in town pretty well from all the years of tekken.

Advertisement