Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recomend me a car please...

• 06-09-2005 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a golf owner of 9 months or so (black 00, 4 door). Whilst I love the look of it, I haven't been overly impressed and am thinking of getting rid. The gear box is not very smooth at all and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes to get it into first or reverse. The catalitic converter has gone belly up and now rattles every time I drive. I guess i'm just looking for an easier drive.

I'm not a car person (as 5 years in a red Metro will prove :( ) and once it looks semi decent and drives well, I'm cool with that. I'm looking in and around the 00 - 02 market and I will spend up to €10k (12 if i really, really have to, but ideally 10). I want something the same size or smaller than a golf, I guess a 5 door hatch type thing.

Are the Japanese cars any good? I heard they are an easy drive, but are they crappy?

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Flinty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm not a car person

In that case a Honda Jazz is what i'd go for.

Very family, very reliable, has a fantasic safety record, the engine keeps on going and it holds it's value. Top gear voted it the best bog standard family car on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

Cheers layke, I'll have a look into that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ford focus perhaps? or a honda civic, hondas and toyotas would tend to be the most reliable

re the problem with reverse, try putting it into first then reverse or clutching twice, tis a common problem on most cars

Ok, having looked into the Jazz, Layke, it seems to be a little too 'family' for me. I'm not a car person as i said, but i am 29 and single, so would be looking for something with a little more style I guess. cheers tho

Cyrus, the Focus had crossed my mind and i'd heard the Toyotas were good... I'll have a look in Car buyers guide.
    Cheers for the tip on the Reverse issue...i'll give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Flinty wrote:
    Ok, having looked into the Jazz, Layke, it seems to be a little too 'family' for me. I'm not a car person as i said, but i am 29 and single, so would be looking for something with a little more style I guess. cheers tho

Civic 96-00

The new model is for soccer mommies :P

Or the Corolla isn't too bad either. You can't beat the Japs for cars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Flinty wrote:
    Why not go for an MX5 then?

This one looks nice You should be able to haggle down to 12 and a half.

The words style, Japanese and hatchback rarely go hand-in-hand these days. Would you consider an Alfa 147, probably the most stylish hatchback out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Consider buying from the north? you'll get more bang for your buck and they have better roads up there. I was up looking at cars in Newry and there was a young lady buying a BMW 3 Series from Wicklow, she had the right idea - I test drove that car and it was in better nick than some 3 series i have droven here.

Honda Civic - Will never go wrong but they have high insurance group in this country.

(My next car will be a civic feck the insurance, ill save money on the lack of repair costs)

Toyota Corrola - Same as the civic easier on insurance, same engine technology as the civic.

Toyota Celica - White jap import. Reliable and fast. Good Image

Seat Ibiza - New Version - Smaller Golf

Madza 323 - Good strong runner

Nissan Micra - very Reliable - lacks an image

I like the look of that list kluivert, cheers. The new Ibiza is nice alright and i also like the Alpha 147. I'll get onto CGB.ie with a few ideas now. Cheers all.

seat ibiza is a polo not a golf :)

mazda 323 isnt a nice looking car at all

but all valid options all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi

I know it's a bit mad (and out of left field) but if I was in your shoes I'd be after something like the Smart Roadster :D -

A quick scan of the autotrader site in the uk gives:
    2003 03 Reg SMART ROADSTER-COUPE 61 (LHD) 2 dr Auto
    2 Doors, Semi-Automatic, Roadster, Petrol, 12,508 miles, Orange over Black. Anti theft system, Body kit, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior, Driver airbag, Electric windows, Full service history, Head restraints, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Sideskirts, Sunroof, Tinted glass, Radio/CD. ..... £5495

Which is €8,111.56, ros.ie seems to suggest the the VRT would be €2002. I know you'll have a few additional costs, but I'm sure you could get a few bob off the asking price.....

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Get yourself a Fiat........ NOT!

I would second the poster who recommended Civic 96-00. I have a 98, and I love it to bits!

Cheers all, some quite varied suggestions there, although a few running themes as well. Don't know if i'm ready for a smart car just yet. I like the focus alright. Cheers for the links Bazz.

I guess it's the newer model Ibiza, the 96-00 civic, or the Ford Focus. I'll see what happens.

Thanks

good choices, out of the three id go for a 3 door focus in zetec trim, looks quite nice and sporty and is pretty reliable, bigger than the seat and not as dated as the civic and has the best interior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Re the Focus, if your budget and insurance can stretch to the 1.6 engine then definitely go for that over a 1.4. It's quite a heavy car and is slightly under-powered with the smaller engine, whereas the 1.6 has a nice bit of poke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Flinty wrote:
    Don't know if i'm ready for a smart car just yet.
    Oh well, if I was single - I'd be on route right now - I think the roadster is a really cool little car..... :)
    (or indeed if I had the cash for a weekend car ;) )

I also have a suggestion of a (New) Mini from my wife (who drives one!) - but I can't find one, even in the UK that would be under 10K.....

Paddy

Advertisement