Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download but not surf

• 06-09-2005 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi, Wierd prob for the last week or so. I can continue to download files either direct (that were previously running) or through my bit torrent client (Linux Isos of course :)) but after 30 min to 60min of surfing, webpages will no longer load and the only way of getting them back is to reboot. Its driving me nuts at this stage, anyone else experiance this? or any ideas what could be causing it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

try installing another browser, simple,
    www.firefox.com
    www.opera.com

either of those 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Run any spyware removal tools you have just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Thanks for the advice lads but I should have said I tried all of those things already, I use firefox as well as Ie but no joy and niether Adaware or Spybot detect anything, my firewall is Zonealarm and both IE and Firefox have full permissions, I'm totally stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Dodgy DNS servers in use? Dodgy router/modem DNS proxy? You could try manually setting the DNS servers for your connection to the ones supplied by your ISP, to eliminate router DNS proxy issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks for the advice lads but I should have said I tried all of those things already, I use firefox as well as Ie but no joy and niether Adaware or Spybot detect anything, my firewall is Zonealarm and both IE and Firefox have full permissions, I'm totally stumped.

Is it V6 of Zonealarm?,it did some very strange things to mine.Had to uninstall and go back to v5.5
    Theres lots of stories on the Zonealarm forum

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    Dodgy DNS servers in use? Dodgy router/modem DNS proxy? You could try manually setting the DNS servers for your connection to the ones supplied by your ISP, to eliminate router DNS proxy issues.

I'm afraid I'm not up and the technical aspects of Routers/servers, I'm on EsatBt broadband plus, my router is a zyxel prestige 600, if anybody can give me the relevant settings I'll give em a go :{, Thanks anyway tho
    Is it V6 of Zonealarm?,it did some very strange things to mine.Had to uninstall and go back to v5.5
    Theres lots of stories on the Zonealarm forum

Thanks for the tip but I'm using the V5.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i've always had this prob. i'm with eircom home plus. sometimes all i can do is turn of the bittorrent. i use bit lord and limewire. other times i just flick between various links on my browser and somtimes it comes back. sometimes u just have to reboot tho.

ghost26ie wrote:
    i've always had this prob. i'm with eircom home plus. sometimes all i can do is turn of the bittorrent. i use bit lord and limewire. other times i just flick between various links on my browser and somtimes it comes back. sometimes u just have to reboot tho.

It's bloody headwreakin isnt it! Sometimes if I load a page from the days history it'll reload, but only that site! I dunno, it just doesn't seem logical. I've even done a ctrl alt delete and shut down most everything but still no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I get this sometimes, the net can be running for days or only hours and then net access stops working i usually find that if i go into my router admin page and release and renew DHCP & IP addresses the connection starts working again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

i get this in the uk when running limewire.
    a router reboot always does the trick, and is nicly low tech as a solution.

I'm not sure but i think your bittorrent client should be smart enough to just start where it left off.

• Advertisement

yossarin wrote:
    i get this in the uk when running limewire.
    a router reboot always does the trick, and is nicly low tech as a solution.

I'm not sure but i think your bittorrent client should be smart enough to just start where it left off.

I use bitcomet so thats no prob, I'll give it a go next time it glitches..as is always the case it doesnt bloody happen when u want it to! 2 hour now and no glitch..touch wood :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

I had the same problem, you need to manually enter the DNS servers and it seems to go right away.

Go to your control panel, and network connections. Right click your LAN and choose properties.

There should be a box titled "This connection uses the following items". Select Internet Protocol (Tcp/IP) and then hit the properties button.

On the bottom, change to "use these DNS settings" and enter

Primary : 192.111.39.1

Secondary : 192.111.39.4

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

This happens to me too when I use Azureus, it seems to basically clog all the bandwidth, disconnecting and reconnecting the connection usually does the trick. While downloading directly using flashget and maxing out my bandwidth I can browse no problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I've got a netgear router and I get that as well .... the multiple connections on the same ports seems to do it ... rebooting the router is the only thing that sorts it ... doesnt happen often now as I dont download as much anymore....

Thanks to everyone for thier advice.

I had the same problem, you need to manually enter the DNS servers and it seems to go right away.

I've entered the advice you've given me and I'll let ye know how it goes...fingers crossed :)

Just a follow up to let ye know that the advice to manually enter the DNS servers has worked a treat. Thanks John, its been 12 hours and no rebooting :) to anyone else with this problem I'm recommend this solution.

Advertisement