Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V France U-21 (scores)

• 06-09-2005 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, theres a lot of good talent on show here tonight in Turners Cross on both teams so should be a good'un. As well as the young Irish (Kearney, McGeady, Flood, Kelly, O’Donovan etc - Unfortunately Potter and Whelan have withdrawn) im looking forward to seeing Le Tallec and Sinama Pongolle from liverpool for the french so as a liverpool fan theres loads for me!

Quick question, im planning on going to it, just wondering if tickets would be easily available at it or should i try and get them before hand? Also anyone know the ticket price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Ireland are currently third and need a miracle from god to qualify. france are top of the group. This Ireland U21 side are a disapointment. Givens making the point that they are a bunch of quite men with a desperate need of a Roy Keane type figure. Im not sure if we can come away with anything else but a defeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pity our central midfield pairing had to withdraw. Really looking forward to this match. I won't be going but its live on SS1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, the 3 defeats were away, so hopefully the home crowd will make a difference... il be screaming em on anyway! KO is 7.45, so if i went for about 7 would I be grand to get tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think it will be a great game.

Givens is in for a rough night from the City supporters though.

There will be loads of "Givens OUT!" amd "Givens is a Pimp" chants.

BEWARE :D

Hopefully there will be a balance between cheering on the Boys in Green and the anti-Givens rally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Thats great, just what Ireland need, abusing one of the greatest strikers we have ever had. Good work lads. Come on over to the Tickets for the French match thread, you'll be helping me prove a point.

• Advertisement

Great player doesnt mean great manager or whatever.

Im annoyed with the guy. I don't care how many goals he's scored.

What are you annoyed about? u21 teams never do particularly well anyway. Givens is just there to introduce players and get them used to the international set up. He has brought in a lot of Eircom League players to his credit which has helped the league and has seen a number of players move on to the senior side.

He had a fairly decent unbeaten run at one stage too if you are interested in results.

Abuse him all you want though. Can he come in to your job tomorrow and slag you off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i think its class that the FAI rotate where the u21 games are played... really good idea to get people out to see them

Draupnir wrote:
    What are you annoyed about? u21 teams never do particularly well anyway. Givens is just there to introduce players and get them used to the international set up. He has brought in a lot of Eircom League players to his credit which has helped the league and has seen a number of players move on to the senior side.

He had a fairly decent unbeaten run at one stage too if you are interested in results.

Abuse him all you want though. Can he come in to your job tomorrow and slag you off?

http://www.petitiononline.com/corkcity/petition.html

I like Cork City fans, so Im not going to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have to say I'm not his biggest fan either.

A mighty total of 4 eircom league players in the squad.

Henderson (Brighton and Hove Albion),
    Quigley (UCD), Foley (Luton Town),
    Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Fitzgerald
    (Bury), Sheehan (Leicester City),
    Paisley (Longford Town), Flood
    (Coventry City), Dawson (Mansfield),
    Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday), Kearney
    (Cork City), McGeady (Celtic), Tabb
    (Brentford), Doyle (Reading), Murphy
    (Sunderland), O'Donovan (Cork City),
    McShane (Man Utd).

Its on SS3 by the way, the England game is on 1.

edit: Sorry, 5 EL players now because Dillon has been called up.

There's actually a fairly decent amount of EL players in this squad.

Quigley (UCD)
    Dillon (Longford)
    Paisley (Longford Town)
    Dicker (UCD)
    Kearney (Cork City)
    O’Donovan (Cork City)

Plus the recently departed pair, Murphy and Doyle. Considering this is, imo, our strongest set of U-21's ever its harder for EL players to get in. The first choice U-21 team is now almost entirely made up of players first choice for their clubs. Jay Tabb is having a great season for Brentford so Murphy's doing well to keep him out of the team.

Still its so disappointing to see that Mark Farren can't even make the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Givens will get some reception from the Turners Cross crowd I imagine.

i hope he does. some of the stuff he has pulled off is a disgrace

Team:

1.Henderson
    2.Kelly
    3.Sheehan
    4.Dawson
    5.Fitzgerald
    6.Paisley
    7.Flood
    8.O'Brien
    9.Murphy
    10.Doyle
    11.McGeady

Frank Stapleton is in the box tonight. Listen carefully, you might just learn something...

So far we've been blessed. O'Brien looks a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So far we've been blessed. O'Brien looks a good player.

Blessed is an understatment, french players couldnt score on baggot street.
    Givens is a muppet, should have been sacked when Mc Carthy went.
    The only way to judge an U21 manager is by the amount of players that come from his team to the full international team.

kdjac

At underage level most teams arent competitive and concentrate more on developing technical skill. Were overally competitive and (USUALLY) win a right few games but ignore all the technical development end of things.

Thatta boy Daryl!

Ridiculous tackle by Kelly, but we don't deserve to be leading.

Hoping this one hits Cork City!

Nope, 1-1.

• Advertisement

Ireland really missing Whelan and McCarthy. O'Brien is a quality player but not a holding midfielder which Givens has him playing tonight. The centre of defence is at 6's and 7's. McCarthy would usually organise it so he's missed badly. Hopefully Givens finds the faults and fixes them. Unfortunately O'Brien is all we have to play the holding role so he'll have to stick to that role and just get into better positions.

Its a pity. When all players are fit we have some bloody team. A combination of loads of injuries and bad management have cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

We've ridden our luck alright, hopefully the lads will pick themselves up and take it to the French a bit more in the second half.

cant see it happening with Givens at the helm

Can't believe that didn't go in! Unbelievabable as Frank said!

"I don't know how he's miss it" - Classic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

great game!!!!

2-1, just as we deserved.

were losing !

Correction, we lost. Didn't deserve to take anything from it.

Incredibley poor performance

• Advertisement

U21 Sham Continues

GIVENS OUT! :mad: :mad: :mad:

SERIOUSLY!!

Playing in front of a Cork crowd and he only brings on Kearney with 5 minutes to go. :rolleyes:

The French team were much better and had a lot of speed. Ireland had no midfield and Flood and McGeady both struggled to get space.

O'Donovan was a threat when he came on.

I thought the crowd was very light on Givens, I was expecting alot of abuse going his way.

He got a few chants alright. Everybody in the whole stadium wanted Kearney on. Your man Flood didnt do anything going forward, and McGeady wasn't much better.

Apparently all banners were banned. :rolleyes:

GIVENS LOVES THE QUEEN :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Ribery was quality, i have to say. Really impressed me, hope to see him play again sometime. Any idea who he plays for? Wasnt sure if the commentator said Monaco or Marseille....

Was that the French No. 11?, cause he was the player that stood out for me.

• Advertisement

applehunter - the match would have been completely different if Whelan and McCarthy played. Paisley may be up to it at left back at this level but not centre half. We had nobody to organise the centre of defence which McCarthy usually does and nobody to organise midfield and play the holding role which Whelan does. We got the better of France in Troyes with a full team. We were missing 4 important first teamers plus a few backup players. McShane would have started if he wasn't injured for example. It would be the equivalent of us missing Cunningham, Dunne, O'Shea, Roy Keane and Kilbane.

Unfortunately this has been the story of this campaign.

no.11 plays for Marseille. On loan at Galatasary last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yeah he was the french number 11 alright, handy old player, have to say i was impressed with le tallec too.

overall i enjoyed the game, pity about the result but no complaints about it.

good crowd at the game, good atmosphere, kearney got a great reception, and Doyler got a huge ovation from the crowd, i'd say he was delighted, he must have been worried that he would get booed from a minority of the crowd.

how did the game look on tv?

eirebhoy wrote:
    applehunter - the match would have been completely different if Whelan and McCarthy played. Paisley may be up to it at left back at this level but not centre half. We had nobody to organise the centre of defence which McCarthy usually does and nobody to organise midfield and play the holding role which Whelan does. We got the better of France in Troyes with a full team. We were missing 4 important first teamers plus a few backup players. McShane would have started if he wasn't injured for example. It would be the equivalent of us missing Cunningham, Dunne, O'Shea, Roy Keane and Kilbane.

Unfortunately this has been the story of this campaign.

no.11 plays for Marseille. On loan at Galatasary last season.

Yeah McCarthy is a v. good player. Dont know much about Whealan. I thought Tabb might have come on aswell instead of Daryl Murphy.

Looking at the match into the last quarter, we had nothing to lose.

Bring on Kearney, get the crowd on their feet and have a go. But, Givens waited until the last 5 mins to get him on. :o I dont even think he got 2 touches of the ball.

He should be sacked after the comments re : Doyle and O'Donovan anyway.

He's a Bollix!

Yeah McCarthy is a v. good player. Dont know much about Whealan.
    He's currently captaining Sheffield Wednesday which pretty much sums up his importance to the U-21's.

What did he say about Doyle and O'D?

Basically said if Doyle or O'Donovan want to "make it" then they have to go to England.

Basically it was a kick in the balls to Brian Lennox, The Eircom League, Damien Richardson and every Cork City fan.

Ill try and find the quotes tomorrow. Brian Lennox was really pissed off and gave out stink in his programme notes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

although people will complain about it, i thought it was hilarious all the city chants for the last half hour. especially the "support your local club, we all do and so should you!" chant. :D

for the first 60mins or so people attempted to sing ireland chants, but after that just gave up. (most of the irish songs are crap anyway)

a few "**** the dubs" were even thrown out there. :eek: i don't know exactly, but surely theres plenty of the team from dublin? not exactly appropriate at an irish game (understatement of the year).

i think half the crowd don't really give a **** either way with ireland. especially when its 'only' the u-21s....

although people will complain about it, i thought it was hilarious all the city chants for the last half hour. especially the "support your local club, we all do and so should you!" chant. :D

for the first 60mins or so people attempted to sing ireland chants, but after that just gave up. (most of the irish songs are crap anyway)

a few "**** the dubs" were even thrown out there. :eek: i don't know exactly, but surely theres plenty of the team from dublin? not exactly appropriate at an irish game (understatement of the year).

i think half the crowd don't really give a **** either way with ireland. especially when its 'only' the u-21s....

It turned into a bit of a City chant fest at the end.

I suppose you could hardly blame them. There was 3 players on the pitch that have played with cork in the past season. It felt like a City match TBH :D

eirebhoy wrote:
    He's currently captaining Sheffield Wednesday which pretty much sums up his importance to the U-21's.

What did he say about Doyle and O'D?

Agreed about Whelan.

I think what Givens said about Doyle etc... was:

"Hopefully, they are only coming home for a short while and they will eventually return to England where the standard is higher."

"The flip side is if these boys are to progress to full international level, which is what I am all about, then to be ready for that they need to be playing in a higher league."

Basically said if Doyle or O'Donovan want to "make it" then they have to go to England.
    Oh right. Yeah, I read about that at the time. I thought he said something else after today's match.
    Wouldn't expect anything else from Cork fans. Club before country all the way for them.

I sense a Roy Keane debate in the air ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

eirebhoy wrote:

Wouldn't expect anything else from Cork fans. Club before country all the way for them.

do you not think its admirable, in a sort of weird ultra-loyal kind of way?

surely something to do with the fact that you watch your club every week, whereas big irelandd games come around only a couple of times a year. people feel more attachment to their club...

if i was given the choice of a city league title, or ireland qualifying for the world cup, i really dont know what id choose...

I'd cheer my local club before my country.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'd cheer my local club before my country.
    These debates are stupid as its your heart that does the choosing and not your head but a lot of Cork fans are different in these situations. If Doyle, Kearney and O'Donovan weren't called up would Turners Cross have gotten half the 6,000? Not all Cork fans btw. A very high percentage compared to other counties/clubs though. I'm too tired to explain what I want to say. :o
    do you not think its admirable, in a sort of weird ultra-loyal kind of way?
    Jesus I bloody hate it. Of all the positives you could pick from the EL getting more supporters, one huge negative would that it would lead to the passion for the Irish football team decreasing. Premiership fans boo English players in opposing teams. I can't imagine a regular Irish international getting stick off Irish people but the fact that the majority of EL supporters would choose club over country makes me believe its not too far away. Although, we have to get an regular Irish international playing in the EL first. ;)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm too tired to explain what I want to say.

I'm here all week ;) .

Obviously different people have different opinions on the club vs country debate, and I reckon we are fairly polar opposites on this particular issue as you are a loyal Ireland fan who occasionally (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) watches the eircom league, whilst I'm a Shelbourne season-ticket holder and cheer on Ireland but don't get too carried away about it or get too upset when we lose.

The way I see it is that Ireland are always guaranteed massive attendances and have the full backing of the whole nation. I never turn down a chance to go to an Ireland game and I get as involved as anyone else when I'm there. I'd much rather go to an eircom league game, however, as I feel the league needs as much support as it can get. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going out of pity or anything like that, I just want to see Irish clubs achieve the standard they have the potential to reach.

I don't consider this choosing with my heart, nor with my head, maybe a combination of both. I just think that this country will always have massive support for the national side, and the national league is all too frequently overlooked by the same people who follow Ireland and Premiership clubs alone.

Sorry if that was a bit gobbledygook, I'm a bit tired myself.

Anyways, its all just a matter of opinion and personal taste, and (imo) doesn't reflect in any way on a person whether they choose to focus their support on an Irish club or the national team.

[edit] Ps, as an eircom league fan, I would never jeer an Irish international, and I'm sure most of the el fans on here are exactly the same.

Fair play to you MrJoeSoap, the EL needs all the fans it can get. I agree, getting tickets for an Ireland game is a big hassle in a stinky old stadium. I wish they built a proper high capacity stadium instead of the new tiny crappy plastic 45,000 seater jobby. Maybe we will get more of a chance to see ireland when croker opens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement