Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

java code editor

Options
  • 06-09-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a decent java editor.

I am using notepad at the moment, but I hate the fact it does not automatically tab out when you press return. Also the text is in the same colour which is giving me a headache.

I can compile my files in Dos so there no need for a compile function.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I've used Editplus
    http://www.editplus.com/
    Has java highlighting, I don't know about setting the tabs, it's probably in there somewhere. And it's free, with no compile function.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

context (www.context.cx) is another which tabs automatically and also has compile abilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Why don't you use Eclipse.

Granted it's a java app itself and a full fledged IDE, but it's got a fantastic editor for writing java code, and it's free!.

If an IDE is overkill for you then you have several smaller programs such as Notepad++, Jedit, Jext, etc, to play with.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

ok, Textpad is fairly good, loads like notepad and highlights the syntax.
    so easy... ctrl+1 to compile and ctrl+2 to run
    Available here - http://www.textpad.com/

Just a lil bit of configuration - pointing to java on your computer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The modern free IDEs are not overkill, try eclipse or netbeans.

Even for small programs, the syntax highlighter is great. Once you're used to intelligent code completion you'll never go back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eclipse.. the only way to go. I would also recommend taking half an hour reading the tutorial as it has a lot of features that will save you untold amounts of time.

example.
    CTRL-SHIFT-O = Organise imports
    CTRL-SHIFT-F = Format code (you can customise this).
    CTRL-SPACE = Auto complete code.
    CTRL-LEFT CLICK= Jump to code related to variable creation or the class itself.

Other cool things like javadoc popup even on your code (providing you wrote javadoc). Or right click menu options to automatically create try/catch code for you, generate getters/setters (for bean generation).

Also has little feature that shows you were a mistake is and suggests a number of options to fix the code (as well as fixing it for you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 steve_O_

For a free IDE, Eclipse is the only way to go. It integrates easily with ANT and JUNIT and Apache Tomcat.

I have been using Oracle JDeveloper recently and it doesnt offer much more than Eclipse and its $1000 dollars a license.

Another good IDE is Intelli-J. They give a free trial. http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Have used eclipse before, can it be used for applets.

May take a while to download on my ISDN connection

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Peter B wrote:
    Have used eclipse before, can it be used for applets.

Yep Applets, applications, Junit tests, SWT Applications (which is what Eclipse is) and J2EE applications (with plugins).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Been using Eclipse for 6 months now and there's no going back. No need to remember those package names for imports. What's the name of that method again ... oh yeah Ctrl+Space :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Have used both Editplus and Eclipse and like both of them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

JEdit is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Im a textpad guy myself. Absolutely love it. So simple but yet so powerfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm a big fan of Crimson Editor, it has syntax colouring for loads of languages and is free (and < 1MB download). Here is the homepage, which for some reason Firefox doesn't seem to like...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

blah wrote:
    I've used Editplus
    http://www.editplus.com/
    Has java highlighting, I don't know about setting the tabs, it's probably in there somewhere. And it's free, with no compile function.

editplus kicks ass. very simple to use and no crap with it.

you can compile java or any other language from it once you have the compiler installed on your machine. all you need to know to set it up is here...

http://www.editplus.com/faq.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

(g)vi(m)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

JBuilder is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

JBuilder is the way to go.

if you try more advance editors like eclipse or intellij you will see how weak JBuilder is.

even simple features like automatic renaming of variables/class names in projects is very handy.

there are loads of great refactoring tools in both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

i recommend http://www.netbeans.org

in most cases people will recommend the IDE they find easiest to
    use, this usually the first one they use because they spend
    the most time using it.

ibm are giving dcu a lot of sponsorship and dcu are pushing eclipse,
    so you will probably get a lot of people say eclipse.

some companies make developers use the company IDE, but the
    good ones let you use what ever IDE you want.

a java editing function is only a small part of an IDE.

you really should get some experience using an IDE, if you don't
    like iDE's you should a least use ANT with the editor to create
    you code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

vi is the standard editor ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been using Eclipse....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

We use JCreator in college, it’s very basic but it’s easy to use and does the trick [it’s also free]. But you should use Eclipse it’s the most popular and best program. It’s a bit complicated to figure everything out as there are loads of options but it’s the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Eclipse for big stuff.

BlueJ for beginners and not so big stuff.

Syn for general text editing, Crimson's nice but devours my RAM...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

While we are on this subject. Can anyone reccomend me a good easy to use Java GUI designer. I have never found me a good one that I like. I have used Visual Studio (VB, C#) and I must say its a plesure to create GUI's with it. Is there an equivelant for java.

Advertisement