Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomtom

• 06-09-2005 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Guru's

Do anybody know if there is an Irish map available for TOMTOM Navigation software for PDA's? If so where can I get it.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

afaik Maplins do them or can get them for you..Dont know how good they are at street level...I find Garmin are the best for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Salamander

I use viaMichelin. It has fantastic maps of Dublin and other cities (Galway, Sligo, Athlone, Cork, Waterford) in Ireland and Europe....
    follow the link for further info.....

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/shopexd.asp?catalogid=502

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Salamander wrote:
    I use viaMichelin. It has fantastic maps of Dublin and other cities (Galway, Sligo, Athlone, Cork, Waterford) in Ireland and Europe....
    follow the link for further info.....

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/shopexd.asp?catalogid=502
    This looks quite interesting...
    Any ides in what other alternatives would ther be if i cannot get a tomtom irish map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Salamander

gafarrell wrote:
    This looks quite interesting...
    Any ides in what other alternatives would ther be if i cannot get a tomtom irish map?

Well the one I just posted is one of the best (I think). It supports Bluetooth connection to a GPS device. I use it in a Palm T5 without a single problem It gives a 3d view of the path while driving. When you need to make a turn it zooms into the map to give you a good view of the turn!

A good GPS is an essential piece of kit! It has save countless arguments between me and my co-pilot (girlfriend, who thinks left is right and right is left, and who coined the phrase "Oh you should have turned left back there" :rolleyes: )....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

TomTom does have an Irish map AFAIK

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:

Hi Rew,

By any chance do you know where I can get it?

Rew wrote:

Just got this email from TOMTOM support theam

"Thank you for your question regarding TomTom maps. TomTom is investigating the possibility of adding new unsupported countries but TomTom will not do so unless the DIGITAL map data is of a satisfactory quality. May we ask you to please keep an eye on our website in the months to come.

The DIGITAL data for the Republic of Ireland at this time from our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas is not of a quality that we find satisfactory. When this improves perhaps we will investigate the possibility of having this map data available.

The TomTom GO 700 when this model is released will have some map data of Ireland but this will be limited to some areas of Cork, Dublin, and Galway along with the major roads data only. If you are not within the available data on the map then you will not have a GPS signal.

Northern Ireland is covered with 25 percent map coverage within the GB map but this is all of the DIGITAL map data our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas has available to us.

Any future map updates will be based on a fee according to your software license agreement.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
    With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

Looks like TOMTOM is not an option. Did anybody ever use destinator 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Lads get Copilot 5 www.alk.com. I have used this extensively in Ireland and also it took me to the door of the hotel I was staying in in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Rew wrote:

Take it from me; they don't.
    Best option is Destinator..

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Pataman wrote:
    Lads get Copilot 5 www.alk.com. I have used this extensively in Ireland and also it took me to the door of the hotel I was staying in in England.

I agree Copilot 5 has good maps of Ireland with Ver 6 about to be released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I downloaded Tom Tom off a site for free, and they had every single map Tom Tom had. Sadly, I couldn't find ROI..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

gafarrell wrote:
    Just got this email from TOMTOM support theam

I see. I was sure they had one. I blame the OSI guys. They charge so much for their maps and data that we expect good coverage sometime in the year 3000 when sombody maps they palce with a privite satalite! :mad:

Iv tried a fair few of them and most are fine but they all tend to have very little dat outside the major towns and cites.

Installed Destinator 3 over the weekend. It has ROI maps. I am waiting to get my GPS reciever (hopefully this evening) to give it a test. I am in Cork and the map shows the city fairley well. Couldnt find much outside the city though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

destinator uses the navteq maps, these are the best for ireland i think,
    I think cork, dublin and limerick are the best maps with a few other towns. It has al the main roads but very little if not at all of the minor roads.
    Even look at kerry. They have the road to killarney from cork, and they even have streets for killarney but they dont have tralee or even the main road to tralee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'm currently using Mapopolis (also uses Navteq maps), used it from Dublin to Killarney a couple of months ago and while it was brilliant for finding the hotel in Killarney, it had nothing on the Dingle peninsular at all! I have since taken a look at Copilot5 and it does have Dingle and more minor roads than Mapopolis. I understand that Navteq were due to get 90-95% of Ireland done by the end of 2005... Wonder how long it'll take the software companies to get anything like that level of detail in their maps...

BigMoose wrote:
    Wonder how long it'll take the software companies to get anything like that level of detail in their maps...

Love to know...Its a joke really why Ireland don't have any really decent Navigation software. maybe in about 5-6 years we might just have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Any of e ever used autoroute from before 2000? they didn't use navteq maps then and the maps for roads were supberb in ireland. They had a small road that i lived on in kerry, and it was a real small road, It had every road in the country, only problem was i don't think it had as food detail for the cities. I don't know why they didn't overlay navteq maps on it or something cause they dropped h80% of the roads moving to navteq. They even had the village near me in it.
    Maybe it was because the navteq maps etc has more detail on roundabouts etc, so better for directions but they were still pretty good.

brav wrote:
    Any of e ever used autoroute from before 2000? they didn't use navteq maps then and the maps for roads were supberb in ireland. They had a small road that i lived on in kerry, and it was a real small road, It had every road in the country, only problem was i don't think it had as food detail for the cities. I don't know why they didn't overlay navteq maps on it or something cause they dropped h80% of the roads moving to navteq. They even had the village near me in it.
    Maybe it was because the navteq maps etc has more detail on roundabouts etc, so better for directions but they were still pretty good.

interesting to look into. is it possible to download the latest Navteq maps somewhere?

Advertisement