Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Group Buy for Audi / Volkswagen Owners

Options
  • 06-09-2005 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I am organising a Group Buy on the 20GB PhatNoise in car MP3 system that just plugs & plays into Audi & VW factory stereos via the the CD changer terminal.

Phatbox.jpg

I got one from the States, sold it recently as I was changing car but my car deal has fallen through so now I need to replace the one I sold!

On a group buy of 5 people or more (I have 2 people already including myself) we should be able to get these landed into the country for under €250 each, including all shipping, import duty & VAT. VW & Audi dealer price here ranges between €600 - €800.

See description below for what this is & how it works & check out the official site. It's pure genius!

www.phatnoise.com

Contact me if you are interested, the more people we get the lower the price we can negotiate!!

Audi have collaborated with Kenwood and produced an MP3 Storage / Changer unit, called the PhatNoise, that connects directly into your Audi / VW Factory Car Stereo (e.g Concert, Symphony etc) – you literally plug it into the CD Changer cable & it works just like a CD changer but obviously runs MP3 and is easier to install. It took me less than 10 minutes to put into the car myself & I did not even have to remove my radio!

Basically it holds up to approx 10,000 songs and even uses a computer voice to read out the names of the artist, album etc for easy music selection!
    I got rid of all the CD’s from my car and now have my full music collection of 20GB of songs in the car permanently! No more rummaging for CDs, FM transmitters from the iPod or stray wires & cables!

The 20GB Cartridge holds thousands of songs, depending on file type & size. The MP3 changer is controlled via the normal function buttons on your radio and there is also a Voice Operation that reads out the name of the artist, album or genre to you for easy music selection so you don’t even have to look down!

This is a genuine Audi Part (Part Number 000057110A) & it comes with all manuals, software (very similar to the Creative Mediasource) , 20GB Digital Music Storage Cartridge & a docking station for your PC to download your tracks from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Lotsa people looking but no one posting! If you are looking then the chances are you own a VW or Audi.

Any chance of some feedback on the post, good bad or indifferent? All comments welcome.

If there really is no interest then I'll call it quits and just go ahead and purchase my own.

Cheers.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Looks great. Just wondering if there is anyway of modifying one of these to work with an Opel?

Hi BigCon, my understanding is that you can't. That said, the Phatnoise is made by Kenwood (just been bought out by Harmon Kardon) and they do a "Kenwood Keg" version for all other cars, sneaky feckers have only made it compatible with certain Kenwood head units thopugh so they make you change your whole system.

I have heard rumour that it might hook up to an Alpine head unit but I would need to do a bit of digging on that.

The Phatnoise unit was a specific collaboration with VW/Audi & they also make them for BMW (MUCH more expensive) & Volvo.

S

Hiya Branners, thanks for the message.

My Audi Concert is a front load CD / Radio & they work in the exact same way. Basically by pressing the CD button twice it toggles between the front load & the Phatnoise. But be warned she will be popping all her music on the MP3 once she she sees it in action!

Basically all you need to ensure is that the car comes pre-wired with a CD changer loom cable from the stereo. Most new cars have this as standard. One call to your VW dealer & he will tell you straight off if it is.

Then you quite literally plug the phatnoise into the CD changer cable & it works on the spot, no reprogramming or taking the radio out etc. In this instance no fitter is necessary it take approx 5 mins to put into the car!

If you do not have a CD Changer loom then you can pick one up for approx €30 - €40. You can install this yourself but if you are like me I would suggest you give that part to someone who knows what they are doing as the radio needs to be taken out & the wire fed through to wherever you want to place the changer unit.

Shout if you have anymore questions!

S

3 People in the pot now for the Group Buy - 2 more & we should be laughing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Had a look on the phatnoise website and couldn't see my car under the list of compatible audis - unless A3s arent sold in the states ? I have a 04 A3 with a concert stereo.

Hi Scargill, really what is important is the stereo & not the car. I have an Audi Concert & it works fine what is most important is to make sure your stereo is already wired for a CD changer, as this is what the Phatnoise connects into, otherwise you have to get a wiring loom fitted & this is more expensive obviously.

If you want to double check compatibility, go back onto phatnoise.com, go into Audi section, go into support, radio set up guide & make sure your stereo is there. ( I can however allready tell you it is there & classified as an Audi type "O" radio.

Let me know if you want in on the buy.

Cheers.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Moving to Motors. Thr3ead doesn't belong in FS and may get more responnse there

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

will it work in 1996 audi estate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Smirky wrote:
    The Phatnoise unit was a specific collaboration with VW/Audi

since Seat is so simular to Audi/VW, could it possibly work for an 03 Leon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm wondering the same, altough my 02 has an Aura HU which I think is Sony made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

ok smirky - i'm interested. i'm useless at car stuff - so i'd have to get someone to install it for me. and as for needing a wiring loom - haven't a clue ?!

@ Borzoi OK, cool whatevet you think is best. S

will it work in 1996 audi estate

Dont think so, as far as I can make out it will not work in anything pre-1998.

ando wrote:
    since Seat is so simular to Audi/VW, could it possibly work for an 03 Leon?

Again, to the best of my knowledge it only works for VW / Audi. The important parts are a) what stereo is in the car (ie if you have a VW / Audi stereo then it should work) & b) what brand of CD Changer wire (again VW/Audi) because this denotes what cable comes with the PhatBox to hook it up.

What stereo do you have? You can go into the Audi & VW support section on www.phatnoise.com & see pictures of the stereo head units it is compatible with.

It is not copmpatabile with MFD head units, but I have no idea what these are!!! Think it is something to do with Sat Nav.

S

stevenmu wrote:
    I'm wondering the same, altough my 02 has an Aura HU which I think is Sony made ?

Same issue for you I'm afraid. However the Phatnoise is made by Kenwood (have recently been bought over by Harmon Kardon) and they have a generic unit called the Kenwood Keg but again you must buy a compatible Kenwood Head Unit to go with it.

The usual manufacture stuff, tying you into their brands!!!

scargill wrote:
    ok smirky - i'm interested. i'm useless at car stuff - so i'd have to get someone to install it for me. and as for needing a wiring loom - haven't a clue ?!

OK if there is not currently a CD changer in the car then get your service manual, on the inside of the front cover is a load of numbers & letters. These denote exactly what spec is on your car, right down to the colour of the mats! Ring your local Audi garage / service / parts centre and ask them to check on the computer to see if your car spec included factory wiring. If it did not then ask them for the part number of the CD changer wiring loom for your car. You can then pick these up on ebay for about €40.

If the car has a cd loom in it then installation is basically just finding the wire & plugging it into the PhatBox! No radio removal neccessary. If there is no loom then I reccomend you get it fitted by someone who knows what they are at!

Here is the direct link to the applicable models of car:

Audi
    http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/Phatnoise_application_chart_client_4-4-04.pdf

VW
    http://www.phatnoise.com/vw/compatible.htm

The Audi A3 is not listed, however it is listed ion the UK PhatNoise site.

MFD Radios are not compatible but I don't know what this stands for or how one checks to see if their radio is MFD?

Keep shouting if you want in on the buy.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

MFD stands for Multi Function Display. The radios with big screens and buttons to the side are MFDs.

20041115144919_mfd_d.jpg

Nice one! Thanks for the clarification Philip! S

• Advertisement

Bump to help all of us who are finding the lack of search function to be a reall pain in the a**e when trying to keep track of threads we have been responding to!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'm in, as long as you can confirm it'll work with an 05 Golf.

Inqui

Cool Inqui, I personally have no experience of seeing it put into an 05 Golf but the PhatNoise web liusting is as follows:

Compatible Models

MFD stereos are not compatible with the US PhatBox.
    New Beetle convertible (2003 +)
    New Beetle sedan (1998 - 2003)
    New Beetle sedan (2003 1/2 +)
    Jetta Sedan (1999 1/2 -2005)
    Jetta Wagon (2001 +)
    Passat Sedan / Wagon (1998 - 2001)
    Passat Sedan / Wagon (2001 1/2 - 2005)
    Golf / GTI (1999 1/2 +)
    Golf R32 (2004 - 2005)
    Touareg (2004 + ) (Not on vehicles with DVD navigation)
    EuroVan (1998 - 2003)

So I imagine you are fine as long as you don't have the MFD radio.

S

I am heading to the States tonight for 1 week holiday where I hope to meet up with a few dealers to discuss prices. I will hope to be posting from the States but when I get back we should have form prices for all interested.

In the meantime just keep popping your name down if you are interested & everyone benefits from the lower prices!

S

Am back in Ireland on Monday & will get down to the business of getting quotes. Looks like we have enough interest to get a group buy price organised. Will let you all know once I get some answers. S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

I see that you mentioned it might work with Alpine head units. I have one (will get model no. soon & edit), do you have anymore info on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi Smirky,
    I'm definitely interested. I've been checking these out online for awhile. Need to check the compatibility of my 2004 A3 3dr. It has a Concert cd/radio so it should be fine. Have a few friends with A3's who might also be interested. Let me know price, shipping, etc.

Thanks,

Donie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys this thing is really amazing i got it fitted in my new 05 golf. its looks so cool with the silver casing. and is well worth the spend as it holds up to 30,000 songs. so far i got 19000 songs on it but i will keep adding:D

@ Exactiv

I can't for the life of me remember where I came across the Alpine compatibility! I believe Alpine have already or are just about to launch their own version of an in-car MP3 Changer unit.

I'll do a bit of digging & see if I can unearth the info again.

S

• Advertisement

OK, we are just about ready to go, waiting on one or two of you to read your PM's before we place an order!

VW phatboxes are working out more expensive & more rare than the Audi ones. I think this is mainly because VW have switched to iPod in their 06 models and stockists are worried they will not support the Phatbox from 06 as a result.

We have enough Audi drivers to get a reasonable deal so if there are any Audi stragglers who want to hop on then now is the time!

Advertisement