Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Know Nothing About Cars Someone Please Help Me

• 06-09-2005 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Iam buying my first car. It looks like its gonna be a 1l 99 VW POLO COMFERLINE. It's gonna set me back E7,000. It comes with all the usaual extras, ps, sunroof, ew, cl, immobiliser, cd player, etc, etc. But as neither myself or any of friends no anything about cars. I keep putting it off. Is this a good price for a car this old it has 44,500 m. How reliable are VW. Iss there anything i should look out for with it etc, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm not sure about the price but the mileage is okay, VW's are generally pretty reliable. Avoid the car if the previous owner was a boy racer. Get the car checked out by a mechanic (if you live in Dublin pm me because I can direct you to one). If you are buying from a dealer make sure you get a reasonable warranty.

I reckon that's a pretty good first car to buy in general (I started off with a VW Golf), and it will hold it's value so when you go to sell it, you won't lose a fortune.

Best of luck and safe driving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

ccd wrote:
    Hi All,
    Iam buying my first car. It looks like its gonna be a 1l 99 VW POLO COMFERLINE. It's gonna set me back E7,000. It comes with all the usaual extras, ps, sunroof, ew, cl, immobiliser, cd player, etc, etc. But as neither myself or any of friends no anything about cars. I keep putting it off. Is this a good price for a car this old it has 44,500 m. How reliable are VW. Iss there anything i should look out for with it etc, etc.

That's a lot of money for your first car. Have you a full license? If you are learning, I would be more inclined to spend about €4000 that way you won't be too worried about scratching it & so on.

The Polo is a worthy enough car and quite reliable, but dull as dishwater.

You should try www.cbg.ie and enter your search criteria: e.g.
    Engine size < 1.2L
    Max price - €4500 (you'll haggle the 500 off)
    min year - 2000

Here's something. A lot of people hate Daewoos, but I think the Matiz is a good one.

Whatever you buy - bring someone you know or trust to inspect the car for you. Or pay the AA to inspect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

Cheers :D

If i buy from a dealer should i still get a mechanic to look over it. How long is a resonable warrenty. Is there any tell tale signs i should be looking for rust etc, etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes I would definitely get a trusted mechanic to look it over, as dealers can be as dubious as anyone else(they may not even spot the problems themselves). There are some lemons out there and you don't want to get stung on your first car. In fact the AA inspection is the best money you could spend when looking at a car.

The VW is a good solid little car and very reliable if you get a good one, though to me 7000 seems a lot for one of that age. Maybe it's got extras that are pushing the price up.

I agree with ds20prefecture on this and would suggest you do some further research. You may save quite a bit of money. Also check out a few different cars with your insurance, you may save quite a bit on insurance for what seems like much the same car(Hondas as an example will be higher on insurance).

Good luck anyway

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ccd wrote:
    Is this a good price for a car this old

No it isn't. You should be able to pick up a '99 small, reliable, low mileage,
    excellent condidition car from a dealer for about €4k, be it a polo or not. The most popular starter candidates:

VW Polo
    Nissan Micra
    Ford Fiesta
    Opel Corsa

But loads of other cars would do just fine too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

I got a price coparison on both carzone.ie and nicemove. This is what theses cars seem to go for on the sites. I'am buying off a dealer as i've been warned against private sellers. Are there any classic problems with Polo's i should look out for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think €7k is a bit expensive.

Just spotted a few here:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=271927
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=274267

Should be able to get a good few hundred euros off these prices as you are a straight cash customer ie. no trade-in. You should be getting a 6 month warranty with it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Far too much for that car €4200 more like it.By the way Volkswagen are no more of a reliable make than any other with the exception of Fiat,Peugot or Citroen.

@OP, why are you fixated on the Polo? Do yourself a favour and keep €3k or more in your pocket and buy one of the other main suspects I mentioned

As ibanez implies, and I agree with him, the Polo is not the most reliable in that list

Earlier this year I bought a '99 Fiesta from a dealer, low mileage (30k) and just serviced and with a warranty for €3750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I agree with the others unless your heart is set on a Polo consider the following:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=235574
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=283076

The Fabia and Ibiza are based on the Polo but are cheaper and have better standard equipment for the money.

But the Fiesta is perfect as a first car and this is what I would go for:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=190092
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=265182
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=223816

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree with the others, a fiesta would be a better bet than a Polo. I know someone who went from a polo to a fiesta and she wouldn't ever go back. the fiesta handles better and generally drives better for a start. Cheaper too and just as, if not more reliable and well built. Parts should be cheaper too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

echo the comments about price. €7000 is far too much for a 6 year old VW. They are not a very reliable car. If you want to spend €7000 then get the best Toyota Yaris, or Nissan MICRA you can get. Those cars are very reliable and economical.

w.r.t. Warrenty? Most dealers will only give you a warranty for 3 months, on a used car. You can buy a warranty for about €500, but if you go for a reliable marque you should not need it.

Definitely get a mechanic to check out any prospective purchase as Motor Dealers can be shady, you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

"I agree with the others, a fiesta would be a better bet than a Polo. I know someone who went from a polo to a fiesta and she wouldn't ever go back. the fiesta handles better and generally drives better for a start. Cheaper too and just as, if not more reliable and well built. Parts should be cheaper too."

what the hell are you on about fiestas are piles of horse ****e

the polo would blow it out of the water...its a VW FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

....what the hell are you on about fiestas are piles of horse ****e. the polo would blow it out of the water...its a VW FFS!

http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/1345545551.jpg

What the hell are YOU on about??? :D

No one who has driven both and likes driving would pick the polo.

No one who has driven both and likes driving would pick the polo.

The Fiesta is indeed a good drivers car, I had driven Fiestas in the 80s and earlier 90s but when I had a new rental Fiesta Ghia on a business trip to the UK in' 98, I couldn't get over how nice it was to drive for a small car

People buy cars for varying reasons though, if reliability is the most important factor, I'd recommend the Micra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There's nothing particularly bad about Polos but nothing great either. Average handling, dull but not ugly styling and average reliability.
    Certainly nothing that would warrant the premium price tag they seem to command. €7k for a near 7 year old supermini is just insane. The idea that it doesn't matter because the resale value will be high is incorrect also as the value will drop quickly as it nears 10 years.

As others have said go for a Micra, Yaris, Fiesta or the Skoda or Seat Polo clones, they are all just as good if not better and will cost several thousand less.

There is one reason why Polos are so much more expensive than the rest...

...and that is it. The mass of ignorants who believe that just because it has a VW badge then it must be the best.

what the hell are you on about fiestas are piles of horse ****e

Calm down. So it's a VW. So what? It's not exactly a golf gti now is it? All things being equal the Feista is going to be cheaper(badge snobbery etc) and it will handle better. The Polos I've driven lurch and roll round corners like a drunk fat man by comparison to the Ford. I found the brakes to have more feel on the Feista too.

In any case, the price that the OP is being charged is in many peoples eyes over the top for a Polo, regardless of one's opinion of the marque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

wouldnt bother with a Polo TBH, vastly overrated and overvalued, dodgy brakes, iffy gearboxes.

Of course all cars have their problems, but having driven and bought a Fiesta, Polo and Ibiza, the ibiza is top of the list, with the Polo, WAAYY down the bottom.

Micras are quite reliable, although Id never drive one! Startlets are a sturdy car too.

ATM, my sister is looking at Polos and unfortunalty I cant talk her out of it.

Put simply, you will get more car for your money with other models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Both my sister and mother had polos at the same time.Had lots of electrical problems.both bought new as well. Uncle has a brand new golf.Giving him lots of hassle.Electrics as well.Left it in with the dealer and a week later there was a different problem.Off the road 3 weeks.Soon after that the petrol cap wouldnt open and the lining on the steering wheel fell off.Just shredded in his hands. The volkswagen main dealer gave him a bora as a sub and said they'd arrange his insurance on a daily basis while he was driving it.A couple of days later he rang his insurer and they had'nt heard from the dealers at all.Solicitors involved now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

ccd wrote:
    Hi All,

My advice for buying your first car.

1. Look for a good nct, at least one year left.

2. Don't take the first car that comes along. Shop around. It's like shopping through fruit in the shop. You don't take the first one, you find the best and most sound one.

3. You are the one with the money, and therefore sellers, private or dealers will want that money and don't care if you are satisfied with the car or not. Don't let them rush you into a decision.

4. 7,000 is a bit much for your first car. You might easily get a dud for 7,000 or a gem for 2,500. Remember deprecitation and the fact that all beginners make mistakes. Better to damage a 2,500 car than a 7,000 car. Sell your car after six months if you think you have learned a lot of driving skills on it and buy the more expensive one.

5. Try to get an experienced driver to take the car for a test drive to see everything is in order.

6. Make sure the car has a good service history and/or gaurantee. Make sure the seller is reputable. Also try this website www.carsurvey.org for experiences of a wide variety of cars.

That's all the tips I have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The AA do a decent check on a car. Its expensive though.

Advertisement