Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braces in your 20s??

• 06-09-2005 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

right, I know ppl always say this is about a mate when they really mean themselves... but ....
    what do ppl think about girls/guys in their 20's with braces. My *mate* had braces in school but just found out that her wisdom teeth have caused loadsa movement and she has to get them again for about 9 months... she is really upset about it... reckons 'been there done that' and that now she needs to hide away for 9months... and def stay away from males... i dont really know how to advise cos i know id hate it myself.. but dont really wanna say that!

any thoughts/advice? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

440Hz wrote:
    right, I know ppl always say this is about a mate when they really mean themselves... but ....
    what do ppl think about girls/guys in their 20's with braces. My *mate* had braces in school but just found out that her wisdom teeth have caused loadsa movement and she has to get them again for about 9 months... she is really upset about it... reckons 'been there done that' and that now she needs to hide away for 9months... and def stay away from males... i dont really know how to advise cos i know id hate it myself.. but dont really wanna say that!

Had braces for most of secondary school, never bothered me. Still have a permanent retainer at the back of my lower teeth. The only thing I didn't like was having to be extra careful when brushing. Presumably she's worried about how she appears to the opposite sex, so I reckon that the best advice you could give her would be something along the lines of "Do you really want to be with anyone who would change their mind about you just because you have braces?". She sounds a bit insecure tbh.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Well, yeah id agree. I dont think it bothered her in school cos loads of ppl had em, but you dont see too many ppl in their 20s with them! I had braces in school and I wasn't bothered about how it looked, but I wasn't too keen on the idea of kissing someone with a retainer - not very nice! maybe thats just me tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The only thing I'd b worried about if I had braces now (in my 20's) is that they're a pain in the arse to keep clean (and keep your gums healthy.) I would not care whatsoever about the fact that I'm "too old" for braces or something like that. If anything, I'd be proud I'm doing something to improve myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bellend

abird with braces in her 20s is totally hot... something very pervy about it anyway... id defo score abird with braces.. awesome

a guy with braces looks abit teen though... i wouldnt see birds scoring him then. funny how it works out sometimes. :p

that'll cheer her up! :D (bad choice of smileys maybe!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

a lot of people have themmore then you think.
    I have meet ladoies from the age of 28 up until 45 who have train tracks atm.
    I would suggest your friend see about getting white ones.
    They are less noticible.

think its just a retainer to fix the ones that moved, so should be bit better than train tracks - but you can get white ones now??? wish they had that in my day! (making myself sound older than i am now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I think if she needs braces then just to go ahead and get them. There is nothing wrong, no matter what age. It is always worth it in the end, i have seen quite a few older people with braces. They are doing it to improve themselves and i wouldn't find it unusual at any age tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

28064212 wrote:
    Still have a permanent retainer at the back of my lower teeth.
    If you mean the metal wire, ensure it gets cleaned ALOT. Plaque built up there when I had mine. One of the "glue" bits eventually wears away, and you'll need to have the other bit removed.

=-=

The white ones cost more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 its_only_me

I got mine when I was 18. Am almost 21 (look about 26ish) and still have them. I too thought i'd have to hide away but they're so common now that noone really notices. The white one's are less noticeable as braces but in my opinion, make it look like you've got really big teeth (just my opinion).

I feel for your friend though. Not sure how i'd react if it happened to me but at least it's only for another 9mths. Better than not getting them again and the last few years she had them would be a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

your friend shouldn't worry about it all. ok, so it'll be a bit uncomfortable for the first while, but they won't be on forever, and she'll have a dazzling smile to look forward to when they're off. Esp important if the way the teeth are aligned will cause probs in later life. Totally no biggy, get them on and it'll be lots of :D for years after :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

bellend wrote:
    abird with braces in her 20s is totally hot... something very pervy about it anyway... id defo score abird with braces.. awesome
    True. There's something very pervy but very hot about braces. As long as they're just the plain "train-track" ones and not the ones with elastic bands going all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've got braces (22 by the way), no big deal, just take a bit to get used to. I think she's going OTT on this one. It'll take her about 3/4 weeks to get used to them (as in the people looking at them) but after then it'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

OP,

My mam's friend got them in her 40's and it was no big deal. TBH most people will be too caught up in their own lives to even notice and for the people who's opinion you'll care about it won't make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Also,
    You'd be amazed how many girls get braces before they get married as they want a perfect smile for the day / photos !
    A mate of mine is a dentist and he gets so many late 20's early 30's women in to him WANTING braces !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

I had braces on for about 12 months when I was 21/22. Now I'm 24 and it looks like I'll need to get them on again to correct some dodgy work done by an atrocious dentist. Its a bitch, but I know a few ppl in their mid/late 20's that have them aswell, it just adds to the personality of the person imo. Now where's that bag that I put over my head in public gone to, gona need it soon :cool:

ando wrote:
    I had braces on for about 12 months when I was 21/22. Now I'm 24 and it looks like I'll need to get them on again to correct some dodgy work done by an atrocious dentist. Its a bitch, but I know a few ppl in their mid/late 20's that have them aswell, it just adds to the personality of the person imo. Now where's that bag that I put over my head in public gone to, gona need it soon :cool:

oh dear! not good! at least you can blame someone else I guess!! altho you were lucky with 12 months - when I was in school I had mine for bout 4yrs! I dont think I could face them at 24 tho, the pain more than anything! But everyone is right I guess noone will notice she even has em, mostly paranoia I guess! I'll tell her nicely its all in her head!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

440Hz wrote:
    Yeah, they're not a fashion accessory and would be there for good medical reasons.

You might as well have asked "what do you think of people with their arm in a sling".

Although, I'm old enough to remember when braces were fashionable!

I had the mother and father of braces when I was in my early teens. It was basically a gumshield-like thing to correct a faulty bite. I couldn't eat or speak with it and had to wear it 20 hours a day minimum for 2 years.

Back in the early 80's, the more elaborate your dental brace, the cooler it was, believe it or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

the_syco wrote:
    If you mean the metal wire, ensure it gets cleaned ALOT. Plaque built up there when I had mine. One of the "glue" bits eventually wears away, and you'll need to have the other bit removed.
    Yeah I know, was warned multiple times by my orthodontist and dentist. Can be a bit of a pain, but I get regular check ups to make sure. Plan on getting it removed sometime soon, have had it in for upwards of 2 years

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement