Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone alive in UL?

• 06-09-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Right I know its the summer and all, but has this uni totally gone to zzzzzz?

Iv been here all summer and there is noone around and nothing to do. doesnt help that i dont know anyone yet, but not for lack of trying - i dont have a class you see - the joys of research!

any tips on how to get some human interaction in this place (totally innocent type of course!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

well, the first years are back in 2 weeks, if thats your bag! alternatively you could get into a few of the oddjobs going around UL at the mo, a bit of extra cash and u meet a lot of nice people. id say go to the bar, but i hate going to bars on my own so maybe not.... good luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Welcome to UL.

The place'll be dead for at least 2 weeks I'm afraid. There are a few of us students around but not many at the mo. But you'll have no problem meeting people then, the place'll be vibrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Just hold on. Very shortly you'll be wishing it was summer again when you're not getting any sleep cuz of the noise.

-Old Man Zapho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Im working in ul since june, and things are as crazy as ever! If you wanna see all the fun and excitement you missed out on, click here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

LordChessington, you must know ppl here already, cos I have been here since the start of June and nada! As for meeting first years, no thanks - that would have been the case five years ago maybe! I just think that doing research makes it really tough cos you dont have a class to meet ppl - and yeah going to the bar alone is kinda scary! Maybe I could walk around with a Kerry flag and seem if anyone tried to beat me up, then try and make friends with em!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I work in ITD and we do the student ID card printing, so im gonna meet every single one of those first years when they come!

Dear diary, Jackpot! ;)

Well, there arent many wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube men and women around UL at the moment, but the ones that are, i know them all. They can attract customers to your business, make a splash at your next presentation, keep grandma company, protect your crops, and confuse your neighbours! Are you African American? If so, they can help you to hail a cab, testify in church or just raise the roof.

But seriously, there were 3 of us staying in a house, all of us on co-op. Somehow, we managed not to go mad. Dont ask us how, but we managed it. Our house was a 'hub' during the year for people going on nights out, and managed to keep it up during the summer, so there were always people visiting. Its a bit too late for this kind of advice now, but theres only 2 weeks left before the college is full. You better be looking forward to laughing at first years getting lost around campus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

well yeah laughing at first years will be good! i was actually just out and about there during lunch and there seems to be loads around for the repeats at the mo (I dont get to leave my office much boooohooo). here was me feeling sorry for the repeaters, till someone in students union told me they are handing out free water and pens and stuff to 'the poor lads'.... hmmmm i want free pens now too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

I never thought I'd be looking forward to the students coming back, but after this summer, I'm quite looking forward to seeing everyone again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

If you wanna see all the fun and excitement you missed out on, click here!

Good God. That link would drive you mental if you looked at it for 15 minutes on the trot, which I did.

A good film though.

• Advertisement

kodute wrote:
    I work in ITD and we do the student ID card printing, so im gonna meet every single one of those first years when they come!

Dear diary, Jackpot! ;)

hmmm...any chance of taking a new pic of me for my card? for the last three years ive had what looks like a penis on my top in my UL id card. i was hoping i could pull off a kate moss like pout and not look so hysterical...

Dunno about taking a new pic, but he could print you a new one with homer simpsons face instead and 'nuclear safety inspector' as your course.

been there and done that!

you would not believe how many people ask for that, especially girls!
    If your born unphotogenic (like me) then no amount of picture taking will improve it, plus the id card printers add their own level of hazyness to the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

keevita wrote:
    for the last three years ive had what looks like a penis on my top in my UL id card.

Well, Keevita, if your boyfriend would just leave you alone while you get your pic taken....

Dunno about taking a new pic, but he could print you a new one with homer simpsons face instead and 'nuclear safety inspector' as your course.

Oooh! I want one, I want one!

i have only one pic that im not looking shocked/drunk/hysterical in, please put that one on!!! alternatively the homer simpson one would be much appreciated...it would probably get less guffaws of laughter tho...

ah i recognise you! you were working/hanging around the library this summer?

for this kind of operation ill need your id no, because of the way the system is searched. Beward of what happens if you give out that kind of info: you get the piss ripped outta ya! see here
    :D

keevita wrote:
    i have only one pic that im not looking shocked/drunk/hysterical in, please put that one on!!! alternatively the homer simpson one would be much appreciated...it would probably get less guffaws of laughter tho...

I recognise you too, I used to work at the maxol shop and you were a regular. Weeeird. Wonder how many other people on this board i'd recognise. Anyone got any other pics they'd like to share? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

cornbb wrote:
    I recognise you too, I used to work at the maxol shop and you were a regular. Weeeird. Wonder how many other people on this board i'd recognise. Anyone got any other pics they'd like to share? :)

Maxol shop ehh

You might regognise us so, from 1st semester last year. We were regulars there too, both for food, and stubling in from the pub looking for overpriced plonk!

No, I will not provide you with a picture :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

cornbb wrote:
    Check my sig!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

aye, photopost aswell I am.

Advertisement