Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advanced driver tests, www.IrishAdvancedMotorists.ie

• 06-09-2005 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Does anyone know anything about passing this test,

http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie

I cant really afford the lessons at the moment but would like to do it,
    Any advice from people that have done the test would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

I did the test about a year ago. Its fairly tough compared to the
    normal test. When I did it the commentry was no longer mandatory
    so it makes it a little easier so I thought. Its a good bit longer than
    the normal test two its about 1 and a half hours all in with most of
    that in the car.

My test was out of Bewleys in Newlands Cross dublin and I did
    a fair amount of driving around blessington. The tester was sound
    he was a driving instructor for the gardai for years and years.

I would advise the training I had done ignition training and still
    did the IAM training. You learn a lot about good driving and
    some about passing the test. Also worth getting a copy of
    "Road Craft" the UK driving manual but the IAM book is a good
    start also.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

gabgab,

I too done this test and I strongly recommend it. I didn't however take the IAM courses for this, I actually used the Irish School of Motoring Advanced course and then took the test. The reason for this is the ISM were running a 1 day intensive course with 1-to-1 tuition. I have spent ages before the course reading and practising best techniques so when it came to the course I got loads out of it.

As for the test as whimsey said, it's tougher than the normal test but it also makes you a better driver. Advanced driving is NOT about doing wheel-spins and hand-brake turns (as people often think it is) but it is about defensive driving. I feel I am a better driver for having it - so much so that I plan to take the test on a regular basis (i.e. every 3 years) to make sure that I don't slip into bad habits.

If you don't have finances to get some courses now, your best bet is to get a copy of Roadcraft and read it. It will explain loads about driving you never really thought about. Then practice the recommendations! You'll surprise yourself how much more sense driving makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I haven't taken the test, but I would highly reccommend that more people read 'RoadCraft - The UK Police Drivers Handbook'.

It really does get you thinking about and improving your driving techniques !

Advertisement