Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientists Find Water On Mars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

very old i guessed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

As soon as i saw the thread i knew what it was... funny 3 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

But seriously, an astronaut on Apollo 13 found water on the moon.
    It was in his satchel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

YAWN to both attempts at jokes

WHAT?
    That was the funniest joke ever posted.
    How dare you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ever posted??? this comin from the guy who just signed up and has a MASSIVE 60 posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

haha.....so cheesy and predictable but still.... :D

Democrates....boooo....get off the stage...

Ha ha.
    You guys.
    60 posts on boards.ie, so what, what could you possibly infer from that?
    And mobileinfantry I suspected the post above would draw fire from you.

What I've noticed on this forum is that despite the charter asking people not to post responses to offerings such as "that's crap..." regardless of the perceived quality of the post, it seems some people are doing it anyway, and going further, making personal attacks on the posters.

When I posted the bush declaring war on nature piece, others took it upon themselves to post negatively, ignoring the wishes of the moderator as expressed in the charter.

This took me aback at first as I had endeavoured to offer something that might give someone some amusement, and as you can see from the thread some readers clearly did enjoy something of it. Instead of taking the negative feedback personally and getting all defensive about it, I analysed the problem and concluded that a satire sub-forum might be a good idea. A lot of people agreed with me on that.

In the request to that effect I used more satire which I thought might help the negative posters see their negative reactions in a humorous light. But this looks to have been taken verbatim, and resulted in personal attacks. That was the point at which the Irony of this springing from the humour forum really had me in fits of laughter, please take my word of honour on that.

I didn't make that post to annoy anyone or make enemies, life is too short, the opposite was my original hope, but others seemed detemined not to avail of the opportunity. What is the motivation of people who want to post a slap down? What do these people get from it? What does it say about them?

You may counter that I was slagging off the Bush administration, but I posted in a clearly satirical style, designed to invoke thought and awareness on the topics in a hopefully entertaining way, an outlet for the frustration at the wrongs of the world, but with no expectation that everone would share my taste or viewpoint.

An apt response would be opposing satire or a joke or quip or whatever, but within the bounds of the forum charter. Surely a mature person can read things they disagree with or which doesn't entertain them without resorting to what was witnessed here.

It got worse, it's one thing to express your view, but I've seen people arguing as if their personal taste was an absolute truth,shared by everybody, and that anyone expressing a different view was wrong in their mind.

How about we all adhere to the charter and if we wish to express a rating on a post use the rating feature. For me, I look at posts with one goal, harvesting value. If I get a laugh in the humour forum or someone adds a point I hadn't considered or fact I didn't know on another, success. Mission accomplished. I gladly share this in the humble hope that someone might also benefit from adopting it.

I apologise for anything I was out of line on and welcome moderator clarification on that. I hope we can put this episode behind us as adults and share some laughs in the future, this is the humour forum after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

I though this this was the funny section, not the boring section

At least i've found sumthing to make me sleep tonight lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

Thank you very much for the criticism(!)

*claps slowly*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

You have far too much time on your hands democrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

democrates wrote:
    Ha ha.
    You guys.
    60 posts on boards.ie, so what, what could you possibly infer from that?
    And mobileinfantry I suspected the post above would draw fire from you.

What I've noticed on this forum is that despite the charter asking people not to post responses to offerings such as "that's crap..." regardless of the perceived quality of the post, it seems some people are doing it anyway, and going further, making personal attacks on the posters.

When I posted the bush declaring war on nature piece, others took it upon themselves to post negatively, ignoring the wishes of the moderator as expressed in the charter.

This took me aback at first as I had endeavoured to offer something that might give someone some amusement, and as you can see from the thread some readers clearly did enjoy something of it. Instead of taking the negative feedback personally and getting all defensive about it, I analysed the problem and concluded that a satire sub-forum might be a good idea. A lot of people agreed with me on that.

In the request to that effect I used more satire which I thought might help the negative posters see their negative reactions in a humorous light. But this looks to have been taken verbatim, and resulted in personal attacks. That was the point at which the Irony of this springing from the humour forum really had me in fits of laughter, please take my word of honour on that.

I didn't make that post to annoy anyone or make enemies, life is too short, the opposite was my original hope, but others seemed detemined not to avail of the opportunity. What is the motivation of people who want to post a slap down? What do these people get from it? What does it say about them?

You may counter that I was slagging off the Bush administration, but I posted in a clearly satirical style, designed to invoke thought and awareness on the topics in a hopefully entertaining way, an outlet for the frustration at the wrongs of the world, but with no expectation that everone would share my taste or viewpoint.

An apt response would be opposing satire or a joke or quip or whatever, but within the bounds of the forum charter. Surely a mature person can read things they disagree with or which doesn't entertain them without resorting to what was witnessed here.

It got worse, it's one thing to express your view, but I've seen people arguing as if their personal taste was an absolute truth,shared by everybody, and that anyone expressing a different view was wrong in their mind.

How about we all adhere to the charter and if we wish to express a rating on a post use the rating feature. For me, I look at posts with one goal, harvesting value. If I get a laugh in the humour forum or someone adds a point I hadn't considered or fact I didn't know on another, success. Mission accomplished. I gladly share this in the humble hope that someone might also benefit from adopting it.

I apologise for anything I was out of line on and welcome moderator clarification on that. I hope we can put this episode behind us as adults and share some laughs in the future, this is the humour forum after all.

see the little exclamation mark beside the post? Report it, then we wont have to read this type of crap when we are looking for humour.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

democrates wrote:
    Ha ha.
    You guys.
    60 posts on boards.ie, etc ... and concluded that a satire sub-forum might be a good idea. A lot of people agreed with me on that.

In the request to that effect I used more satire which I thought might help the blah blah the Irony of this springing from the humour forum really had me in fits of laughter, please take my word of honour on that.

I didn't make that post to annoy anyone or make enemies, life is too short, blahblah....
    It got worse, it's one thing to express your view, but I've seen people arguing as if etc etc this episodeblah blah after all.

Demographic or whatever - you are clearly on glue if you think anyone could be arsed reading that. Please keep posting however, your contribution makes an interesting counterpoint to the humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

danniemcq wrote:
    ever posted??? this comin from the guy who just signed up and has a MASSIVE 60 posts
    haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

haven't seen this card in a while, but democrates has earned it:
    btuo.jpg

Classic.
    I had dubbed the technique 'the singularity'.
    An argument so dense it has it's own event horizon and attempts to get light from it are futile.
    Any card used against the singularity can never be used again as it gets drawn in and is instantly absorbed just making the singularity denser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

touché. well spoken sir

Advertisement