Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]Warning over broadband provision failings

Options
  • 06-09-2005 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Article @ http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/6255866?view=Eircomnet
    Warning over broadband provision failings
    Tuesday, 6th September, 2005

Failures over Ireland's broadband provision has led to the country's roll-out lagging behind Ethiopia and could have dire economic consequences in the future, the Labour Party claimed today.

Labour spokesman on communications Tommy Broughan hit back at comments made at the Fianna Fail parliamentary party meeting by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern that Fine Gael and the Labour Party would drag Ireland back into the Third World.

Mr Broughan described the Taoiseach's comments as ill-advised considering Ireland had fallen behind most European countries and a number of African nations in terms of broadband provision in the past few years.

"Earlier this year New Scientist reported that Ethiopia has launched an ambitious plan to wire the whole country for broadband internet within three years.

"By next November the government in Addis Ababa expects to have up to 500,000 broadband connections to homes and businesses - a greatly superior roll-out to Ireland's," he said. "In the meantime, Ireland is set to drop-out of the top 30 countries for broadband provision."

Mr Broughan said the consequence of the Government's failure on broadband could be disastrous for both inward investment and attracting foreign businesses to Ireland.

"Nearly every target set by Government for broadband has not been met, as the vast majority of Irish internet users are forced to use antiquated modes of dial-up technology," he added

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Incidentally Peru has more DSL connections than our total broadband connections at 235k or so in March this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Jorinn wrote:
    Incidentally Peru has more DSL connections than our total broadband connections at 235k or so in March this year.

If we casually forget that Peru has a population of 28MILLION or 7 times that of Ireland then it looks very bad for us.

Honestly I think the government of Ethiopia has more to worry about than laying Fibre for Broadband!!...mabye feeding their people and not having huge wars with other countries might be a good idea....mabye?

Honestly though Ireland is a joke for Broadband.
    Greece is worse because they charge HUGE money for Broadband:
    http://www.adslgr.com/features/ispsdirectory/ispindex.php
    Speed: 1024 Kbps
    Company Price/Month
    Vivodi 100,91€
    InterConnect 128,88€
    Tellas 166,48€
    FORTHnet 171,12€
    ALTEC TELECOMS 174,69€
    OTEnet 177,49€
    Q-Telecom 183,14€
    H.O.L. 193,85€
    And this is why Greece is the only country in those league tables worse than us....PRICE!!!

Ireland is shít because when 62% of the population are actually able to get it, your cutting out a VERY large percentage of total customers!!!

Yes, but bear in mind that a lot of peruvians can't afford to feed themselves and also that GDP per capita is only $5600 and it looks a lot more impressive. Also they started off from a base of only a few thousand a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

zuma wrote:
    Ireland is shít because when 62% of the population are actually able to get it, your cutting out a VERY large percentage of total customers!!!

62% of phone lines are capable of carrying DSL. That does not equal population or households, which likely is at least slightly lower... Once you consider that businesses will have more phone lines than households and be located more centrally, etc. Basically, the figure we can be sure about is that 62% of phone lines are capable of carrying DSL.

I do agree with you, just thought I'd point that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

62% of phone lines are capable of carrying DSL. That does not equal population or households, which likely is at least slightly lower... Once you consider that businesses will have more phone lines than households and be located more centrally, etc. Basically, the figure we can be sure about is that 62% of phone lines are capable of carrying DSL.

I do agree with you, just thought I'd point that out.

Yeah, if business offices are taken out of the equation then that 62% drops a lot closer to 50% for household only DSL capable penetration.
    Thinking too much about how eircom have screwed over Ireland telco's infrastructure becomes depressing and even more so whenever one see's a government minister self congratulate themself about our high tech/knowledge based economy..!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

[OT]

LOL at your sig Jorinn.

Murphy's Law eh JWT?

Yeah, was well amusing, more of the convo I should of included for relevance etc. but funny nonetheless, had a bit of a laugh in #irelandoffline etc.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was there when that happened. It was teh funneh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

LOL

Must get a new battery for that laptop; bloody annoying when the power lead falls out (one of those IBM thinkpad round connectors).

John

Mental note to self: Put Jorinn down on the "list" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

Speed: 1024 Kbps Price: €100

Sounds reasonable considering 56k costs me 30 odd per month, and i cant use it for voip(19 cent mobile daytime calls), downloading anything useful (i had to get someone to download a game (rfactor, legal, 382mb) for me), radio stations, hosting an email server, online gaming(over 8 cars=suicide) in fact any of the things that i used it for in england.

• Advertisement
Advertisement