Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nail in Tyre, what do I do?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So I got my first nail in my back tyre. What's the best procedure to follow to fix this. I'm putting on the spare now but will I need to take it to a garage to fix it or can it be done cheaper by myself? Is the tyre even fixable? Any feedback appreciated, thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i think it depends how it actually breaks the tyre...I've had a couple of nails in my time, one of em was fixable, but the other I had to get a new tyre...then again they might have just seen me coming and knew how little I knew about car tyres!!
    But I'd say if its just a straight through pierce it can prob be fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Had a screw lodged in the tread, near the sidewall.

First went to advance tyre where the guy said he couldn't patch it because of where it was. Then I went to Hannover Tyre in Tallaght and they were able to patch it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Just take it to your local tyre centre and they'll fix it for a couple of quid once the damage isn't to bad. More then likely they'll just drill it out and plug the hole, if it's a tubeless tyre that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

First went to advance tyre where the guy said he couldn't patch it because of where it was. Then I went to Hannover Tyre in Tallaght and they were able to patch it no problem.

Did a look into this and most places will tell you this if the repair will be a dubious one, ie it may not work and end you having a blow out etc when running down a road. Obviously they dont want a trip to court over it, so most if the tyre is damaged at a bad spot will tell you that they cant fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cormie wrote:
    So I got my first nail in my back tyre. What's the best procedure to follow to fix this. I'm putting on the spare now but will I need to take it to a garage to fix it or can it be done cheaper by myself? Is the tyre even fixable? Any feedback appreciated, thanks:)

If the nail is sticking straight into the thread of the tyre and hasn't ripped it then more than likely it can be fixed, if it is sticking into the wall of the tyre then more than likely you are looking at a new tyre.

Best thing to do is take it to a tyre centre and ask them to repair it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies.. will take a trip to the tyre centre so:)

Advertisement