Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshers -- how's your first few days?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

So alot of us went in to get our student cards over the past couple of days... what do you guys think of the place, then? I'm sure alot of you (and myself) have been on campus a few times before, but now -- YOU'RE A COLLEGE STUDENT! :eek: -- so is it different? This will be your home for the next 3 years at least.. Does that scare you? I get the feeling of a little city on campus... It's quite cool, it feels like I'm abroad or something, lol. I can't wait to go exploring the place. So far, all I know is the lake, JHN building, and Daedalus building. I wanna go have a look at Roebuck castle, for some reason. Anything special?
    Is everyone pleased with their student card? I think they look fake or somethin, lol(btw, anyone in the know about how to *discreetly* hide my date of birth on it, feel free to fill us in :o). My picture's great, nice cheesy smile on my face for some reason. That computer system primer yokey was quite dull... I'm a big fan of my memory stick thing though! :D

So, experiences? :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Glennifer

I don't go in until Friday.....

Sounds like it's all quite friendly though *frantically touches wood*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I was scared sh!tless after my 1st day. I was scared over the size of the place and i havent settled in since. UCD will be for some people and not for others. get to know the surroundings and feel comfortable in the place. Make sure you enjoy feshers week!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What is there to do in Freshers week? I know a few people here, but they're all girls, so I don't wanna be stuck talkin about make-up with them! Do people go to events alone, often? I could catch a culchie on their own and befriend them! Watch your back, people -- watch your back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Glennifer

*hides her Wicklowness* Ahem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

Freshers week is gettin worse every year,

Dont want to put people off bit its true. It sucks compared to nearly every other colleges repective week.

Ucd's su bar is good, ucd's only flaw is that there isnt a real outdoor drinkin aea like the pav. There is the secret lake although there aint a lot of people there normally. In fact none.

Goin to events on your own is grand, once your either a dreamboat, only messin. It would be preferable goin with people but on yer tobler is grand.

I dont know when im back. Any science heads around that know? I dont intend goin back till the 19th.

I might go out tm just to go on the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Wow Dave you're enthusiasm just leaps off the screen!!!! Great stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

PiZaRR-0 wrote:
    There is the secret lake although there aint a lot of people there normally. In fact none.

Yeah where is Lake 2???

lol, thanks, I think it's a way of covering up the fact that I'm shitting myself! :D:o

I wanna know where this lake is, too. It isn't on any maps... is there some kind of special treasure map that I didn't get? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

DaveMcG wrote:
    I wanna know where this lake is, too. It isn't on any maps...
    Join the Orienteering Club,

or check out another thread here for me secret directions.

OK, It's behind the Conway Building, near the rugby grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

PiZaRR-0 wrote:
    Freshers week is gettin worse every year,

Not for the freshers, it was only good at the start because it was for us!

Freshers week is the best thing about first year we went crazy last year hint: dont depend on SU organized activities and the student bar for all your fun you have to make your own enjoyment ma and pop arent here now boys and girls its time to go crazy janeymack go tattooed go blonde go brazilian go goth, go out whenever you want!!!

Its extremely easy to meet people in freshers week I became best buddies after walking in owenston gate with a B&L dude last year and showing him the library even though i never saw him again after about 2 weeks cos he quit but you get what i mean. Talk to everyone - the newbie on the number 10, the person in front of you in the shop queue, a randomer passing on a bike - everybody loves the freshers and all freshers should get hitched and spawn young :p .

Meeting people is way easier if youre on a small course - by the second week you'll be stuck like superstickyglue to one another. Easy as abc if you're in a small course that dont mix outside their faculty like vet/ architecture/ engineering the big# stuff like arts and science might be trickier alright :eek: but work at it you'll have no problems and you'll love UCD not because its bubbling over with the intelligentia and greyhairedfellows or because you can modularize no no no you'll love it cos its class, good atmosphere, good people, good going out, great fun and LOADS OF KNACKER DRINKING!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 craiglen

Wahey! I'm a fresher! Everyone line up to give me crap directions on thursday 8th!

So i take it that this freshers week is class then. Any science heads there?

Btw would Dave McG be Dave McGinn? From Mac Daras?

No you're thinking of a different Dave, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

W00t! I am also a fresher. IT induction was dull but we got the free USB key so that was cool. I thought there'd be a lot more queuing for the student cards but there was no wait, which I found rather odd.
    Pretty happy with my picture though! Roll on next week!

Yeah i'll be straight into an IT induction thingy getting me free 128 MB!

No wait for the student cards? interesting...
    What are ye studying? Any1 doing science? And are there any music socs?
    Roll on next week is all i can say as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

craiglen wrote:

2nd science here :D

PiZaRR-0: we're back the 12th!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*is 2nd CS via a long and tortured academic history...*
    There's MusicSoc... don't know much about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Yahoo! Goin in tommorrow to get my card. Don't really know anybody there and it's been ages since i've been there but i'm still looking forward to seeing the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

*is 2nd CS via a long and tortured academic history...*
    There's MusicSoc... don't know much about it though.

This year unfortunately music soc is going back to being a kind of department run soc(that could also be a good thing in that stuff will be done...), they had the chance last yr to do stuff but the "head" or whatever u call them of the soc left and the rest of the commitee got caught up with academic stuff and the pub...sigh.

Woo, go freshers, shiney nu student cards...the temptation to be patronising is quite hard to resist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

craiglen wrote:

Yeah, the guy at the desk said that most people had been in earlier to collect their student cards. I sauntered in at around 2 o clock and there was nobody there!

I'm going into Computer Science through Arts (which I was told to leave as soon as possible by a 4th year student handing out information about the free USB keys...). I'd be interested in MusicSoc as well. I heard Ferdi say something about RockSoc before...

Ah leave us alone Alana, we're only little ;)

^
    You're doin BA Computer Science, too? :eek: What subjects are ya doin!? That makes me, you, and Ruskie4Rent, that I know of, lol.

• Advertisement

hehe :)
    They're multiplying... :p

PiZaRR-0: we're back the 12th!!!!

The 12th bollix! Thats a bit early!!!
    I wanna know where this lake is, too. It isn't on any maps... is there some kind of special treasure map that I didn't get? lol

The secret lake is at the back of the vet buildin ( beside comp sci )

UCD is very easy to get around. One big long path with faculties on either side.

Gamers go to G15.

LovelyHurling - It is gettin worse IMO. The ball was crap, also IMO, Theres a major lack of imaginative people who can organize stuff on most Societies ( Im talkin about the big ones ). I would only attend the nights out if i was a fresher, which this thread is aobut i suppose.

I never go on those nights out. There usally crap, some of the sci ones are ok.

Actually maybe im bein too harsh! Im goin to go to a good few this year. See what the fresher chicks are like. Its usually savage the first 2 months outside the arts block, for women that is.

My advice to fresher start in SU Bar, see where people in general ( mates, randomers, people next too you ) are goin, then go boogie, boogie.

The bad thing about freshers week in ucd is that a lot of peole actually go to lectures and stuff which is nuts!!!! If everyone went on the piss it would be amazin. I personally will be plaseterd till october.

PiZaRR-0 wrote:
    Gamers go to G15.
    oh hell yes. :)

The pre-Science Day nights out are a great laugh... if you're in science or just want a good night out you should go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

DaveMcG wrote:
    ^
    You're doin BA Computer Science, too? :eek: What subjects are ya doin!? That makes me, you, and Ruskie4Rent, that I know of, lol.

I'm doing it too so that makes four of us :eek:

omfg :eek: lol

I don't wanna spam up this thread, so post what subjects, etc., you're doin here, pleeeeease :p

Why should gamers go to G15? What's there?

It just so happens that a lot of science students like their games. :)
    Games-wise... you'll have to wait and see :p
    And G15 is the most convenient lab for science students to use. It also tends to be one of the most relaxed labs for noise, food and all of that. And very little work is ever done there. :)

I see..... Are you allowed to install games on the computers? Or are they installed already? Or wha? Do you play each other through the LAN? Cos I could see that being fun, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

It just so happens that a lot of science students like their games. :)
    Games-wise... you'll have to wait and see :p
    And G15 is the most convenient lab for science students to use. It also tends to be one of the most relaxed labs for noise, food and all of that. And very little work is ever done there. :)

I'm liking the sound of this...

i'm definitely liking the sound of it!

• Advertisement

Bollix,

Shouldnt have mentioned G15.

U deffo not allowed install games, play them, and there arent allowed to be on comps.

What tends to happen is g15 gets flooded with new freshers, shouting and making noise, people besdie them get pissed off, complain to service, services then delete everythin on hardrives that they dont like.

Im sayin no more on this subject, very heated topic this becomes. I think most g15 people will agree.

I will admit however im no angel when it comes to the above, if u get me.

Advertisement