Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Requirements?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Hey, well I'm looking to do either a general science degree, psychology or law in UCD next year. I know what the points needed are from CAO forms in school, but I've spent the last hour online in the UCD site searching for specific entry requirements for these courses can't find much that's of use to me, especially in psychology. Does anyone know these or where I could find them? Or is there anyone studying any of these at the moment and have an opinion to give me? Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Okay... Science was 330 points this year. Minimum requirements are 6 passes (including 2 C3's at higher level) to include English, Irish, Maths (OB3 minimum), foreign language and a science subject. If you want Theoretical Physics... HB2 maths and for Mathematical Science, HB1 maths.
    Not too sure exactly about the others... Psychology was 495 points this year and Law was 520. Minimum requirements would be similar, 2 HC3/4 OD3, with English, Irish and a foreign language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Thanx! I'm aiming at hopefully around 530, I'm doing all higher level except Maths, but I'm getting bored with ordinary level... oh well, not my fault I had a sh!te teacher...

I did want to do Forensics in DIT but the ourse isn't great tbh, I mean, Ireland doesn't even have real forensics labs, most samples have to be sent to England for testing so that doesn't say much for our college courses!
    So then I was gonna do, a general science degree, and work from there, but I've always had an interest in the workings of the mind and that so psychology is quickly moving up the list, followed by law.

My choice subjects are Chemistry, Geography, German and Art btw.

Thanx Kirby!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well within UCD Horizons, if you do a science degree you can take modules in psychology along the way in a chemistry degree... because from what you sound like you're interested in career-wise it sounds like you'd be best suited to doing a science degree.
    Then... if at the end you still want to do more psychology you can still do a graduate diploma in psychology if you've got a good undergrad degree in something else.

interestinc...
    I dunno, I like science and that but it gets boring to me anyway, I like stuff that you can apply to everyday life if you know what I mean, or that's what I find in chem in school anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

not to put a dampener on things but....

my gf did psychology last year in arts. She went into it saying the same things as you pretty much but quickly found out you don't learn how to read people's minds and gauge their reactions in social situations etc. It's not like everyone thinks it is. That said the above might not be your expactations of the course and you could really enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I don't expect how to read peoples minds, I want to learn about the mind, why people are the way they are, ehy they do the things they do. I know what you mean though, its like people going into a forensics course thinking they're gonna end up on CSI, drives me nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

And your goin to be the guy from Law & Order:Criminal Intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I loved first year psychology.

Although the Sex and Psychology lecture wasn't as much fun as it said on the tin.

But it was a cool course, loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Blush_01 wrote:
    I

Although the Sex and Psychology lecture wasn't as much fun as it said on the tin.

I bet you enjoyed the tutorials eh!!

*This is how a blowjob makes a man smile*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

I thought first year psychology last year was one of the better courses that you could take. Every course in 1st year Arts is very "scratch the surface" sorta thing but like it teaches you interesting stuff and the exam is very predictable so its basically an all round enjoyable course

• Advertisement
Advertisement