Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disk or disc?

Options
  • 07-09-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Disk or disc? 11 votes

Dis[b]k[/b]
    0%
    Dis[b]c[/b]
    100%
    LafortezzaOrieladonisSliceEoinMimikyuCraniaJanneGDaelusmuckwarriorEndurance Man 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've always spelled it disc...

I thought disk was an american thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I usualy would type Floppy Disk and Compact Disc. Dunno why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ah its definately disc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's as rabies said

floppy disk

compact disc.

same as

tv programme

and

computer program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

the reason is, floppy disk is short for floppy *diskette*. whereas a compact disc is a description of the shape - it's a round flat object, a disc.

this is what I read somewhere, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

disc (US also disk) noun 1 a flat, thin circular object. 2 (disk) an information storage device for a computer, on which data is stored either magnetically or optically.

disk noun (US & computing) variant spelling of disc

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Yeah disc...teachers can be so stupid sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cremo wrote:
    it's as rabies said

floppy disk

compact disc.

same as

tv programme

and

computer program
    Again program is an american spelling... and computers only like american english... that's why the spellings computer program and floppy disk have entered such common usage here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Disk doesnt make much sense to me as the word disc was derived from discus "a disc", or a throwing discus

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

usually it depends on the situation, what was the teacher describing?

i think in the computer world
    a floppy is a floppy disk
    aswell as a hard disk drive, even tho it has disc's inside it
    and compact disc's

So it really all depends the object, like a cd is round so its a disc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

Dis[b]c[/b]
    scorpy wrote:
    the reason is, floppy disk is short for floppy *diskette*. whereas a compact disc is a description of the shape - it's a round flat object, a disc.

this is what I read somewhere, anyway.

i would go with this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Disck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i cant vote because i dont know what the teacher was discribing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Sparky_S wrote:
    ...aswell as a hard disk drive, even tho it has disc's inside it...
    Possibly because both floppies and HDDs use magnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Sparky_S wrote:
    i cant vote because i dont know what the teacher was discribing?

Exactly. Don't know what context the word was used in. But I would use floppy disk and compact disc also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i vote neither! it's like saying is it spelt sow or sew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

i vote neither! it's like saying is it spelt sow or sew!

Isnt sow, a pig?

And sew, an action that you do?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is 'compact disc' not a (Philips) trademark? Both my CD drives have it spelt that way and in the same lettering. I would normally use 'disc' for everything but a hard drive, but I've no idea why that is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

WellyJ wrote:
    Isnt sow, a pig?

And sew, an action that you do?
    yes indeedy but if somebody asked you to spell it or which is correct you would need the context before answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dis[b]c[/b]
    yes indeedy but if somebody asked you to spell it or which is correct you would need the context before answering.

Well, not really. Sow as in the piggy sow is pronounced "sou". But to sow as in scatter seeds is pronounced the same as "sew". So, then you would need the context :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Disk" is used for anything which is referred to as such, which is not necessarily circular and which also contains a circular disc. ie. Floppy disk. hard Disk.

Disc is for round planar objects ie Compact Disc (acute example), "I slipped a disc in my spine" (obtuse example)

That is how I define it, and unless I am arsed to read the thread from the start to here and happen to find some undeniable reasoning to an alternative definition of/distiction between the two it's the right interpretation of either word.

I'm assuming Disk is either Americanese or has Germanic origins and that disc is a 'purer' latin derivative?

eoin_s wrote:
    Well, not really. Sow as in the piggy sow is pronounced "sou". But to sow as in scatter seeds is pronounced the same as "sew". So, then you would need the context :)
    Phonetics.

Sow, female pig, pron. <s'ow>

Sow, plant seeds, pron <s'oh>

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dis[b]c[/b]
    SyxPak wrote:
    Phonetics.

Sow, female pig, pron. <s'ow>

Sow, plant seeds, pron <s'oh>

That was my point.

Oh, and Sony are tools.

"MiniDisc" - sure, there's a disc inside, but the whole object is marketed as the MiniDisc, one of it's key features being that it's protective body makes it hardy and the disc inside is less likely to be damaged. It should be MiniDisk.

IT DOESN'T CONFORM WITH MY DEFINITION.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think disk was originally the American variant spelling, but it's coming into common use now due to words associated with computers being spet American (disk, program etc)
    The Irish Times Simplex crossword had 'Disk' as the answer to the clue 'Round planar object', and I've noticed them increasingly using the word 'Airplane' in that paper too. I was seriously considering writing a letter of complaint about their editing standards but I decided it would look too pedantic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gavage

Advertisement