Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garrys mod

Options
  • 07-09-2005 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

This should probably be in the half life forum but seein as how thats pretty dead im gonna put it here. This is a weird but fun mod for HL2 that lets you pose characters in any way you like and do all kinds of crazy crap with them, its weird but fun! We should attempt a screenshot competition or something for this mod :D

csoffice00013lt.jpg
    Takes a while to get used to, took me ages to make this and its nowhere near as good as some of the stuff ive seen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

lol, what the **** is Gregori up to in the background :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The main fun of the mod isnt posing imo, its building huge things, siege towers, catapults, elevators and such lark.

The first 2 here are off a siege tower, you can climb the whole way up it and jump out over the top. The 3rd is another take on the siege tower, less cover in it but this time it has wheels and can be driven (a little :)). 4th is a suspension bridge which we managed to drive buggies across and joust on. The 5th is a 2 man tank, can drive pretty quickly and the gunner can aim down the barrel of the cannon and fire barrels from it pretty effectively, and the turrets rotates 360 aswell.

Made a load of other things aswell, van launchers, ballista's, battering rams, race tracks, repeater ballistas, grape shot cannons, trebuchets, etc etc etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Crucifix wrote:
    lol, what the **** is Gregori up to in the background :D
    Hes launching himself with a fire extinguisher while sitting on a chair :D

Nice pics pugsley, i only just got the mod working last night so i just started with posing stuff, havent made any mad stuff like yours yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah i seen some really cool things being mad with that mod, some of the goldberg machines are amazing

i had a bit of fun with it, but i could never do anything good with it

i mostly made frozen dog rockets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Each month, PC Gamer magazine (or maybe PC Zone, can't remember which) has a page dedicated to Garry's mod photos like these. Some of them are brilliant. They also print one or two that are atrociously crap, and slag them mercilessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Best one I saw was posted somewhere on one of these forums and was a huge domino-effect-type thing, very well put together and obviously alot of time sepnt doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hmmm... may actually do this. Do ye need all of Half-Life2 installed, or just steam, or what?

Also, anyone got a link to the offical webpage please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

http://www.garry.tv/garrysmod/

You need hl2,css and hl2dm installed to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

http://www.hlcomic.com/view.php?date=2005-09-07

Entertaining comic made useing this mod if you’re interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

bizmark wrote:
    http://www.hlcomic.com/view.php?date=2005-09-07

Entertaining comic made useing this mod if you’re interested

Just read all of these, very funny, :D

• Advertisement

made my first page of my comic tonight..took feckina ges thanks to my sh!tty version of photoshop!

page15jl.th.jpg

I know its not great but my first effort lol...its called '213' :D
    And syco yeah all you need is a working copy of hl2, you launch garrys mode from your games list ins team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Deadwing, thats great stuff..

Deadwing wrote:
    And syco yeah all you need is a working copy of hl2, you launch garrys mode from your games list ins team
    Meh. Not going to plan :( This has being coming up for the last while:
    garrys_mod_error.jpg
    Oh, and this is a fresh install of Halflife2.

Nice comic, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I'd definitely reccomend trying this out.
    Play it online for maximum hilarity :D
    Sticking thrusters to other players and flying them around the place... loading them up with baloons... not to mention all the funky machines and gizmos you can build.
    Reminds me of scrapheap challenge.

thats a bit mad syco, and ive not found any other way to launch the mod myself.
    You get the latest version of the mod? Maybe try using steam offline and launching it.
    And thanks for the props on the comic mobile & syco, thats honestly only the second thing ive ever done in garrys mod so as you can see its not too hard to make something half decent. My only worry now its attempting speech bubbles in my ancient version of photoshop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

the_syco wrote:
    Meh. Not going to plan :( This has being coming up for the last while:

Oh, and this is a fresh install of Halflife2.

Nice comic, by the way.
    Did you start HL2 and CSS to unlock the files? Garrys mod uses files from both of these.
    Right click on the steam and go to monitor and see if HL/CSS is finished updating.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Did you start HL2 and CSS to unlock the files? Garrys mod uses files from both of these.
    Right click on the steam and go to monitor and see if HL/CSS is finished updating.
    I can unlock CS:S, but not HL2 frown.gif When I try, the following pops up:
    garrys_mod_error.jpg

So seemingly, its a unlock issue :(

How do you manipulate the rag dolls into poses? I can only manage very(very!) crude poses using the physics gun must be a better way

part 2 of my comic :D
    didnt go quite to plan but oh well
    http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=page28kk.jpg
    And bizmark i used the physics gun for all my poses, takes alot of getting used to. I think you can enter codes into the console too, but all that is a bit beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Deadwing, thats amazing how you even managed to construct such scenes using just the gravity gun....musta taken hell of a long time.

But anyway, great work....I can easily see the mod creating some extremely readable tales revolving around Hl2 in a big way.

• Advertisement

Thanks mobile, yeah, ive got far too much time on my hands.. :D
    Yeah i just gotta figure out how to make speec bubbles and i can finally make them talk lol..and then upgrade my god dam crappy photoshop so i can install different fonts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Deadwing wrote:
    Thanks mobile, yeah, ive got far too much time on my hands.. :D
    Yeah i just gotta figure out how to make speec bubbles and i can finally make them talk lol..and then upgrade my god dam crappy photoshop so i can install different fonts :rolleyes:
    Try this - it was fairly easy to install/use IIRC.

Very good work - are you going to set up a site?

Nicely done deadwing keep posting them

Ahhh nice one robert, thanks :D Ive no web skills or even a place to host them or anything so for the moment theyll have to stay on imageshack. Im making it up as i go along so it might be a while before i can think of anything esle lol, but thanks for the encouragement :D

Made some slight revisions to the comic, (after finally upgrading from photoshop 5.5 :rolleyes: ) and added page 3 :D that was a bastard of a page to get done!
    page123ee.th.gif page20tq.th.jpg
    page31og.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

looking good

Just a quick quetsion: is it possible to build level's with Garry's mod, and if so: how? I've got it working (seemingly the files on my DVD are somehow fuxored: but the files I got off steam {160 minutes later} worked), but how do I make levels and stuff, or do I use Hammer to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

the_syco wrote:
    Just a quick quetsion: is it possible to build level's with Garry's mod, and if so: how? I've got it working (seemingly the files on my DVD are somehow fuxored: but the files I got off steam {160 minutes later} worked), but how do I make levels and stuff, or do I use Hammer to do that?

No, you need to make them in Hammer for that, can make 'scenarios' though, ie: make the layout of streets or whatnot out of cargo containers and populate it with loads of NPC (turn off AI when your placing them) can make for a pretty fun game, however the NPC limit is only 20 per person (cant make it any higher than that either) so you need at least 3 people to get any decent amount of enemies done, examples in the attached images.

ps: Nice work on the comic, placing rag dolls into remotely decent poses is frustrating at best, you seem to have got it down pretty damn well Deadwing :)

I never heard of hammer before, what is it a map editor or something? Let us know how you get on with garrys mod syco :D
    And pugsley its actually not that hard, after a few tries you get the hang of it! Downloaded the nude alyx skin today..lol. Makes for some err..interesting..poses :o
    I fixed up the first couple of pages of the comic in my fancy new version of photoshop :
    http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1rev2af.jpg
    http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p2rev1js.jpg

• Advertisement

The last page before i try and think up what comes next :D
    page40vs.th.jpg

Advertisement