Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice

Options
  • 07-09-2005 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

My mate has been hammering me in Pro Evo4 on PS2 lately, and I thought someone here could tell me how to try to prevent a few things he's doing that are really killing me:

- His strikers constantly pull my defenders back and reef them out of the way whenever a ball comes over the top toward my goal, or whenever chasing a through ball. His strikers pull my defenders out of the way, leaving them running in completely the wrong direction a lot of the time! He tells me that this is only due to timing his pass well, is that true? How can I stop his strikers jostling mine out of the way like this when chasing those through balls?

- My strikers are never beating his defenders to the through balls I put in/over. I know this is really about timing them, but even when I time them right my strikers are still having real trouble breaking through...how can I pull my way past his defenders like he does to mine?

I really need some advice on this, he beat me 4-0 today :( I want the slagging to end!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Either mark his strikers or press L2 and Square when he is running forward, will keep all your Cbs in position.

For your strikers do what hes doing , only play a tru ball when you one on one with a CB , so break forward with a Midfielder and run at the CB the sapce behind him your striker will go into , then wait for the right moment to pass it to the striker.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If you want to improve rapidly then the main thing to do when defending is dont commit!

Unless you know you're clearly going to win the ball cleanly, dont put a tackle in. Dont pull players out of position, track back and press the ball with your forward men.
    If you position your players well enough so that you're putting pressure on the ball but also blocking off the possible forward passes, you wont concede many (if any with practice), definately not 4 anymore. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

dar83 wrote:
    Unless you know you're clearly going to win the ball cleanly, dont put a tackle in.

Thats bollox , tactical fouling is essential and when done correctly will prevent you from conceading .

well that just means you've gone too far into trouble already. :)

I try never to get that far, and if I do, I dont hack the player, it means I've not been good enough to stop them and they deserve their chance. I'm unfortunately not as cynical as most and I'd rather applaud someones good play and ablilty to get around my defence rather than hack them down to prevent a shot on goal.
    You'll always get a chance in WE/PES, you just have to take it when it comes, so stopping someone from having theirs aint my thing.
    PES4 made you defend deep to defend successfully, if you found yourself in need of last ditch tackles to prevent goals, then you weren't defending right to start with. Thankfully WE is a bit more tactical and involves a lot more than Triangle and R1 to have a good chance on goal.

Theres certain situations when to foul and your foolish if you do not take these opportunites when they arise as against a good player you will be punnished . If he isn't able to do something with a free-kick if you foul him thats his problem and a weakness in his game...........one which you must try to exploit .

• Advertisement

If they're a good player, then they'll be decent at free's anyway, so giving them away is just as bad as letting them get through on goal.
    I dont think I'm an amazing player or anything, but I've played some of the best players in the UK and I never fare too badly. Fact of the matter is, if you're going to get punished you'll get punished. Taking advantage of a flaw in the game to stop your opponents chance isn't something I find worthwhile and as cheesy as it sounds I'd rather play honestly and honourably. If I'm good enough to beat someone I'd rather do it without thinking back to the 2-3 times I saved a possible goal concession by hacking them down and then take pride in the victory, no thanks.

I'm not sure you've played WE9 yet, but if PES5 is similar (which it will be) then you'll be in for some amazingly static games. I hope you like free kicks happening every 10 seconds, because your hatchet game will result in an extremely dull affair.

Its all about results ;) . Going forward I actually like to play an expansive game though which can be beautiful to watch so im not sure if my games in PE5 will be that boring .

In a real match would you foul an opposition player if it was of benefit to your team ? I sure as hell would and I know most people would too .

If a guy is going through on goal and I hack him down but he scores from the resulting free-kick , fair fecks to him it shows they have quality .

But if I know someone is bad at free's il exploit that flaw when needs be in the match . I don't foul time after time btw I mean foul only when you see a defence splitting pass is about to go through and you are very unliekly to win the ball in a fair tackle or a situation similer to that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I'm with Dar on this one: I prefer to keep the match free-flowing and wouldn't bring down a player cynically. Besides, I always fancy my chances of winning the ball cleanly and breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Well myself and my mate have a mutual agreement not to hack each other out of it. To foul cynically like that is to admit you are beaten anyway. It's not really an option.

You say pressing L2 and Square helps? What does it do exactly? I have real trouble controlling the positions of all of my defenders, is there any way I can keep them all onside of his strikers? (I usually play as Brazil, if that has anything to do with it, which it probably does, i.e. Carlos' forward runs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Well myself and my mate have a mutual agreement not to hack each other out of it. To foul cynically like that is to admit you are beaten anyway. It's not really an option.

You say pressing L2 and Square helps? What does it do exactly? I have real trouble controlling the positions of all of my defenders, is there any way I can keep them all onside of his strikers? (I usually play as Brazil, if that has anything to do with it, which it probably does, i.e. Carlos' forward runs).

Ahhh yah wuss, play random teams opens up the game a lot more. brazil have no midfielders protecting the back four so are easy to rip apart. But you should score with those players up front.

L2 and Square is one of the tactical moves you can make , press Tri circle and X for others.
    One is All out defend, All out attack , umm not sure what the others are.

kdjac

• Advertisement

It depends on the team what way their tactics are set up, so it may not be L2 and Square for all teams. ;)
    You can set them up in the team tactics menu before the game though, usually best to use ones you'll remember easily.

Big Ears, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Of course if it was a real match and I was playing in it I'd have the thought of possibly doing the same, but this is a game for christs sake. :)
    The fact you know 99/100 you wont get a red card for pulling down an opponent who's through and 1v1 just means its an extremely cheap tactic. Also if its happeneing to you a lot, then you aint defending well to begin with. I can say it maybe happens to me once or twice per match in total, and thats usually after a corner of mine or when I'm hit on the counter. Even then I try and get back, and the timing of bringing your keeper out is the big thing. The cheap R1 lobs have been fixed (thank god) so once again not any joe soap can score lobs and think its a finish to be proud of.
    I've played a good few people online who do the exact same thing, and even though I always play away, making free kicks a lot tougher, there's nothing better than tearing the resulting free kick into the top corner, always makes them think twice after the first hack. Beautiful.

Advertisement