Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

windows xp boot up problem

• 07-09-2005 7:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Yesterday while I was at work one of the other occupants in my house hold did something with the computer. But as you know that one has died and gone to haven.

Any way the pc boots up and asks my to chose from a list of how to boot windows xp Pro
    Safe mode
    Safe mode with networking
    Last known good config
    Normal

No matter witch one you chose the xp splash screen appears and then the pc reboots itself some times there is a quick blue screen but the pc reboots itself to fast can’t read what it says.

can any one help me with this as at this stage I don’t want to reload xp as I don’t have every thing backed up # jpg emails etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Hey, I had this exact same problem last week in work. The blue screen appeared so fast just after the splash screen. After some time that day, trying to fix the problem the hard drive eventually failed and it wouldnt boot at all and I replaced it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Try using the recovery console in case the OS is damaged? http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654 - How to use...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

stick in your xp disk and goto repair console reapir startup that could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

I have had the same problem when I upgraded to XP, so many problems with printer drivers, uncompatible programmes etc. I have gone back to Windows 2000.

The booting problem, I solved it by pressing the Del key on boot up and then selecting the default settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Check you system startup settings in

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings

Should be said to /fastdetect

If its showing the startup options .. also check mconfig for the boot options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Check you system startup settings in

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings

Should be said to /fastdetect

If its showing the startup options .. also check mconfig for the boot option
    Pretty useless information if you cant boot into windows.

Origina poster-its vital to find out what happened to the PC before the issue began occuring.
    If some extra hardware was added then remove it.
    To whomever suggested using the recovery console-have you ever actually sed the recovery console? Its not as easy nor as straightforward to use as you say-and in most cases will result in you losing your data.
    Original Poster, if you do go down this line make sure you search on google to ensure you know exactly how to do it.
    My suggestion would be to slave the drive on another PC-copy all data off it that you need then reinstall Windows. Its extreme but will work so long as your HD is not fried which doesnt look to be the case.
    Kippy

Sorry didnt read the post fully.. its late in the evening :(

Dont use the recovery console. You could do a repair install which will revert windows back without losing your saed data (settings will be lost)

You will need to use the Windows XP disk to boot and continue thru to setup until it detects your existing windows installation. Press R to repair. You will need to install patches.

I would still do what Kippy says and slave the drive to copy the info off just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

This happened to my cousin PC two months ago and eventually we found out that one of the RAM stick in his PC is causing this problem.

Isnt it strange the way life imitates threads..

Seriously.. I went home on Friday evening and installed 2 new SATA hard disks into my computer and guess what when i rebooted the system i got the same error as the original poster. So i reverted back to the original config and the same error.

What i eventually did to solve this problem was remove all hard disks bar the bootable hard disk and restart windows and it worked. Then eventually started adding hardware and rebooting each time to make sure it work. Found the issue to be with my SATA/IDE RAID chip on the mobo. So moved 2 ide hard disks to another raid controller and swapped the SATAs to the additional SATA controller and bobs my granfather.

Only thing was that I had to re-activated my XP install because of the amount of hardware changes I had.

Advertisement