Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Orleans = Akira's Neo Tokyo?

Options
  • 07-09-2005 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

[mind musing]
    Anyone else think like me that Otomo Katsuhiro pretty much envisionned the social dynamic which happened in New Orleans over the past week, in the manga version of Akira, e.g. post-apocalyptic lawlessness and all that?
    [/mind musing]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 The Truth!

Actually your kinda right, but Akira wasn't so much lawless and stuff as there were rebel factions. In movie terms i'd say its like 'Escape from L.A/New York'. But i cant yet think of the name of the anime i'd relate it to. Then again most animes have a post apocalpyse style city! Maybe Violence Jack's setting i.e everythings screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well you could definitely draw a comparison between the Olympic Stadium in Akira and the Superdome in New Orleans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Manga-paddy

soooo......you're saying we should watch out for little kids with big heads? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

And the government is feckin messed up-includin that twat of a president! :mad: :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

red_bairn wrote:
    And the government is feckin messed up-includin that twat of a president! :mad: :mad:
    Erm... keep it on topic... I guess o_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The Truth! wrote:
    Actually your kinda right, but Akira wasn't so much lawless and stuff as there were rebel factions. In movie terms i'd say its like 'Escape from L.A/New York'. But i cant yet think of the name of the anime i'd relate it to. Then again most animes have a post apocalpyse style city! Maybe Violence Jack's setting i.e everythings screwed!

Well, I was kinda glossing over the government-vs-rebel thing, and just seeing an analogy where Joe Average is concerned, y'know... going about your everyday biz, then bam! cataclysm, then what do you know: no cops, no army, no enforcement of any sort - just survival of the fittest (or better-armed) overnight in a disaster zone, fending for food and other such essentials.

As posted, that was my mind musing, on watching some of the reports and what have you on news, particularly the breakdown of social order that proceeded so rapidly... it just struck me, in a "hey! I've seen something like that before" way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 The Truth!

yeah lol, bad habit of mine ruining a perfectly good point with a load a rahmish!
    It is like Akira. :D

Advertisement