Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Orleans : Who gives a .......... ?

Options
  • 07-09-2005 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I may be missing the point here, but who gives a &^%$£ about New Orleans ?
    Natural disasters are not natural disasters. They are natural occurrences.
    The disaster is that something that was built was knocked down.
    The rest id domestic American politics.
    So why is everyone getting so worked up about it all ?
    If the same happened here or in the UK or Europe then we would 'cope' and get on with things.
    Let the yanks get on with things and let concentrate of the important issues : like the impending collapses of the economy, the impact of Poland Lithuania and Portugal joining Europe.
    Far far more important topics.............

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Mr. Nice Guy is going to get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Piloti wrote:
    Natural disasters are not natural disasters.

bleh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Piloti wrote:
    the impact of Poland Lithuania and Portugal joining Europe.

P.

Are they not already in Europe? Portugal in 1986, Lithuania and Poland in 2004. I think Portugals impact would have been 19 years ago.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Piloti

D-Generate wrote:
    Are they not already in Europe? Portugal in 1986, Lithuania and Poland in 2004. I think Portugals impact would have been 19 years ago.....

.. the point being, that like the Irish econmy, the Poles and Lithuanians [and a good chunk of the other accesion countries] la fiscal legup was the principal reason for joining the euro zone.

And like here 15 or so years ago, a good chunk of the employers will receive euro sponsored Gov' handouts to go and set up business there.

And now that these countries are part of europe, they can work anywhere.
    And 'sign on' anywhere, too. Which is why in some sectors, like construction, a significant and growing nos' of empoyees are non irish who work for far less than home grown resource, and, if you exprapolate out to the logical conclusion, are forcing a wider fiscal gap between those who earn a comforatable amount of money, and simply, whose who dont.

That my friend, is the point.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=disaster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Piloti wrote:
    And now that these countries are part of europe, they can work anywhere.
    And 'sign on' anywhere, too.
    No they can't. People from the 10 accession countries are not entitled to social welfare in Ireland (even though they pay PRSI just like the rest of us, go figure).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Piloti wrote:

I'd imagnie quite a lot of people. Me, I'm more concerned about the people than the place, but there you go.
    Sure it is. Its not like something this significant with the potential to significantly effect the US domestic markets etc. would have any effect on the rest of the world.

Its the same reason we all ignored 9/11 when it happened, isn't it. Its not like there could have been any knock-on to the rest of us there either.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pragmaticly speaking, 30% of the world's petrol refinery capacity just got swamped, which means our petrol prices spike. The effect is lessened by the dumping of emergency stocks, but that just spreads the spike out, it doesn't eliminate it.
    Then there's the holdup on 55% of American grain exports (all of which went through New Orleans' ports), which affects both food supplies and the US economy, and thereby everyone else's economies.
    So leaving aside the humanitarian aspect altogether, there's still more than enough to involve us rather heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The thousands dead would be the disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Piloti wrote:
    If the same happened here or in the UK or Europe then we would 'cope' and get on with things.
    Let the yanks get on with things and let concentrate of the important issues : like the impending collapses of the economy, the impact of Poland Lithuania and Portugal joining Europe.

P.

So you think it is pointless to discuss a disaster that has just happened, in a country with very close ties to Ireland and Europe, and instead you want to talk about a disaster (ie. our economy being destroyed by dole loving scrounging Polish people) that hasn't happened, and most likely never will ... ummm ok ...

sorry, am I missing something :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Wicknight wrote:
    sorry, am I missing something :rolleyes:

no you are not missing anyting...the only person here that has missed anything is obviously the OP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Piloti wrote:
    .. the point being, that like the Irish econmy, the Poles and Lithuanians [and a good chunk of the other accesion countries] la fiscal legup was the principal reason for joining the euro zone.
    Might be an idea to start a new thread on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

All I know is that I was watching that special on BBC 1 and all I could do was cry. To anwser your question a lot of people give a %£$£ about New Orelans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 President4Life

Piloti wrote:

P.

Sure you're not just overcome with anti-Americanism? Yes the US is the richest country in the world, and some of their foreign-policies are not welcome. But that doesn't mean we should not send our condolences to the families of the dead and express our concern for all the victims.

SkepticOne wrote:
    Might be an idea to start a new thread on this subject.

We've had that thread already, at least three or four times in August.

And, erm, OP, Portugal joined rather a long time ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

10,000 people are dead so far...

You're a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hell i hate america more than most people, but i cant see how anyone can watch the news reports of people who have lost everything, houses, familes, even pets. a family losing its mother and leaving 4 orphans under the age of 10/11, how can someone not care about that?

im not going to give money to help, because money isnt the problem, its the distribution thats messed up, but i feel extrememly sorry for most of those affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DaveMcG wrote:
    You're a moron.
    You're banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Is that not a bit harsh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 darealhamsta

Piloti wrote:
    Well, the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet just committed mass murder. I think that's newsworthy.

• Advertisement

Well, the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet just committed mass murder. I think that's newsworthy.

That's a silly exaggeration, and you're only saying to cause trouble. Gross negligence, possibly, but not murder.

Think the term is wrongful death. Not like he can be impeached from the laws enacted hes pretty much untouchable despite his ratings so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Any country that suffers a natural disaster needs the condolances of the rest of the world for anyone to say 'who cares', We all should...So what if the US Economy has billions of dollars and can help themselves rebuild, innocent people lost lives, loved ones, homes, businesses, livelyhoods, so I for one stand up and I say, I care! and if you disagree that ur business. Money can never replace lives.

Hobbes wrote:
    Think the term is wrongful death. Not like he can be impeached from the laws enacted hes pretty much untouchable despite his ratings so low.
    Would incompetance not be a better description?

Earthman wrote:
    Would incompetance not be a better description?

That would still be covered by wrongful death afaik.

Advertisement