Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Blow for Triple Play Carriers, ITV goes free next year

• 07-09-2005 9:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

ITV announced that they will join forces with the BBC to create FREESAT , meaning that BBc1 BBC2 BBC3 BBC4 ITV1(=UTV) ITV2 and ITV3 + their news channels will be free and unencrypted shortly .

Channel 4 will still remain encrypted but for how long ?

Discussion on Digital Spy Here

BBC official Press release Here

The impact will be deeply felt by NTL / Chorus and the triple play carriers such as Magnet and ...maybe... Smart who bundle Cable TV/Voice and BB because anyone with a sat dish and a sub €100 receiver will be able to get them.

As the mothership will shortly broadcast its programming in the clear over here I fail to see any continued justification for the ongoing existence of TV3 any more :) . Thats Good News anyway !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

So will i now get ITV on my sky box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

ricey wrote:
    So will i now get ITV on my sky box?

If its FTA like BBC then why not.

TV3 will loose a lot of business as its still needs to be decrypted on Satellite with a Sky package card!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

jesus i didnt realise TV3 wasnt FTA lol, looks like you would have to stick up an aerial just for TV3 then lol.

Currently we have BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC News 24, ITV ( i think ), so the others will be handy, plus if we ever decided to stop the subscription, we can still enjoy all of them, very nice indeed :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

CHRIST !!!!!!

TV3 could go FTA same time as ITV ......same sports rights and programming and all that . It means that the World will think that all Irish Telly is as calculatedly anally retentive as TV3 .

Bord Fáilte must be told of the possible consequences, all thats ever on TV3 news is Murder and Rape and so called celebs.

WE ARE DOOMED !!!! DOOMED :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Sponge Bob wrote:
    CHRIST !!!!!!

TV3 could go FTA same time as ITV ......same sports rights and programming and all that . It means that the World will think that all Irish Telly is as calculatedly anally retentive as TV3 .

Bord Fáilte must be told of the possible consequences, all thats ever on TV3 news is Murder and Rape and so called celebs.

WE ARE DOOMED !!!! DOOMED :(

I'm 100% certain that RTE1,2,TV3 and TG4 require the Sky card!!!
    Also I dont see them going unencrypted anytime soon.

ITV owns a large amount of Channel4 and Channel5 as well so I assume they will also be going FTA.

======================================================
    According to someone in DigitalSpy
    Originally Posted by monkey magic
    The biggest issue with overspill is ROI. Someone from RTE expressed a worry that if ITV went FTA, they would be forced to follow suit on satellite. This announcement could force RTE and TV3's hand...

Now that would be good news. More (decent) programming for us

• Advertisement
Advertisement