Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've an idea involving all of you...

• 07-09-2005 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭

Would people be interested in a bit of paper trading? Nothing complex, I don't have the time to keep track of loads of people but something simple like:

Here's 100K

Pick a selection of stocks and the amount you put in each. All money has to be invested and you're stuck with your picks for at least a week. At the end of each week people can change their stocks if they wish. The totals carry over from each week and some kind of leaderboard is posted.

Would people be interested in doing this? I'm willing to set it up and admin it if there's enough interest. I'd probably restrict it to one exchange to make life easier on myself. We'd have to come up with some kind of rules for restarting and whether people were allowed to start a new account. Personally, I'm thinking of not allowing it. Just to force people to have some degree of caution ;)

I'd like if people could post up rationals behind each pick and why they chose it. It could be fun. :)

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

make sure to have a monkey pick to compare against
    the people who think there the new gekko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

I'd be interested alright, I do something similar myself already, but employ a 'buy and hold' strategy. Have had the same 10 shares in a portfolio since the start of the year.

Problem if you restrict it to ISEQ is the relatively small number of companies, I'd be inclined to go for ISEQ, FTSE 100 and EUROSTOXX 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*nods*

I just want to keep the amount of possible share moves small and comparable. The ISEQ on it's own would definitely be too small. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

investopedia.com do a great stock market simulator (using real-world stockmarket data, but your money is simulated ;))
    As far as I'm aware, you can setup your own private games/groups and view the leaderboard etc etc.
    It'd save you a lot of time with the calculator ;)

That's if I'm understanding your plan correctly...

Nah, it'd same me a lot of time with Excel...

Still cheers, I'll look into that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

I'd be interested, but would it be easier on you to limit it to a quarterly swap to begin with, once people get the hang of it you could introduce a more regular change. i think that Goodbody's may do something similar for uni students - kind of 'fantasy dealer' if you will, they have to pick something like 2-3 iseq qoted co's, 2-3 uk and 2-3 usa either dow jones or nasdaq - so you need to have a reasonably rounded knowledge.

Whatever you decide, i'll give it a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

BullBearings offer this, based on UK market can set up your own competition and stuff. Have used it before and its very simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Fantasy stocks, count me in

I've gone with Bullbearings mainly because it's free and we can have a private league table on it at no cost which is nice. I'll put the details up on a sticky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sounds great, I'm new to this area, but I've been meaning to get into it for about 18 months, would this be a good way, if its not open to starters then i understand.

Thanks

Stoner

• Advertisement
Advertisement