Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Performance disesel for circa €10k

• 07-09-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭

Might be changing my car in the near future, had been looking at a 2litre focus and may still go for one (loads in the uk with full leather etc) but given the rising trend in fuel prices and the advent of performance diesels a nice quick diesel could tempt me

Anyone car to point me in the right direction as to what i should be looking at and what type of performance i will get

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Few diesels are aimed at the performance car market. None rev particularly high, but all have much more torque available than their petrol equivalents, so you tend to adopt a high-speed cruise with effortless overtaking style than frenetic point-to-point dash.

There are very few bad diesels around. Avoid the Japanese makes, except Honda. Avoid GM. VAG's 1.9 is quite rough, but can be quite powerful.

For high output in small capacity think PSA/Ford, Fiat/Alfa, BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭ando

TdCi 115 Focus are quite good, very rare in Eire but a lot in the Uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

There are very few bad diesels around. Avoid the Japanese makes, except Honda. Avoid GM. VAG's 1.9 is quite rough, but can be quite powerful.

For high output in small capacity think PSA/Ford, Fiat/Alfa, BMW.

Whats wrong with the Jap diesels? You have taxi drivers in Nissans, Toyotas putting up 250k+ with ease on these motors. The Camry 2.2TD fairly shifts. Same with GM they have decent diesels. All the Jap cars are at the top of the reliablity surveys aswell? Had a 1.7TD Astra, and that was v.nice to drive and quick enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Whats wrong with the Jap diesels? You have taxi drivers ...

..he said PERFORMANCE not longevity. All Saab/Opel/Fiat/Alfa now share the same engine - the Multijet 1.9 50% MORE torque than my Audi TT turbo at 2/3rds the revs........I just drove the Alfa GT....Holy Sh!t....I love that engine.

Right....who wants a TT then?

Sorry....I just saw the Eur 10k price.....back to a Corolla then....you won't get modern performance diesels for that money...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

galwaytt wrote:
    ..he said PERFORMANCE not longevity. All Saab/Opel/Fiat/Alfa now share the same engine - the Multijet 1.9 50% MORE torque than my Audi TT turbo at 2/3rds the revs........I just drove the Alfa GT....Holy Sh!t....I love that engine.

Sorry....I just saw the Eur 10k price.....back to a Corolla then....you won't get modern performance diesels for that money...

It's ok GalwayTT, you're forgiven, I'll still have your TT - I have 8 chocolate buttons, one Ocelot and some Lint from Enoch Powells belly button - fill her with v-power and they're yours - but no haggling d'ya hear!!

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote:

I ALSO (hey look CAPS ;) ) said that some of the Jap and Opel diesel's are quite nippy. :D I reckon if you drive a few of the Turbo Diesel;'s you'll find one thats nippy enough. But you need to drive Diesel differently to keep them on the pace.

As you've pointed out the newer more sportier diesels are quite pricey. 2nd hand you'll be look at something with >60K+ on the clock for a TD in most makes. Personally I prefer the handling of the Astra's over the Audi, VW, Seat and Jap cars I've driven. Though I haven't drive an Alfa or a Honda Diesel. But they are meant to be good. The Ford TD are meant to be a nice engine too. Haven't driven one of those either. Admitedly the Astra is a bit dull inside and out. Kinda reminds me of the old Mk2 Golf. Some people don't like that sparten look and feel.

Remember though that a diesel is more expensive to buy. Big engines and turbo mean more tax and more insurance and you need to service a diesel engine more often than a petrol. Even with the newer extended service intervals. AFAIK. So work out if diesel is cheaper when you take all of these things into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Whats wrong with the Jap diesels? You have taxi drivers in Nissans, Toyotas putting up 250k+ with ease on these motors. The Camry 2.2TD fairly shifts.
    The Camry 2.2TD is like an insomniac's cure.
    Same with GM they have decent diesels.
    They didn't think so. This is why they turned to BMW and FIAT to provide them with something decent. Actually, even the 2.5 BMW lump in the Omega was a dog.

The Camry 2.2TD is like an insomniac's cure.

Sleeping being a good thing while driving. You heard the new diesel Audi's. Sound like trucks.
    They didn't think so. This is why they turned to BMW and FIAT to provide them with something decent. Actually, even the 2.5 BMW lump in the Omega was a dog.

The 1.7 in the Astra is a Isuzu unit I believe. But I meant the Astra Turbo diesel is a good car, (fast good to drive) not that the engines themselves were GM units. Its also a lot quieter than an Audi/VW/Seat diesel.

What are you comparing the BMW 2.5 lump too? Its an old engine. Its pointless comparing it to modern units. It was comparible to the other units of its era. http://www.autozine.org/Editorial/Old/Editorial_2002_01.htm

Advertisement