Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP Querystring & Sessions inside Frameset

Options
  • 07-09-2005 12:38pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I believe there shouldn't be an issue but something I have developed involves the use of a frameset. The top frame is from the framesets site but the main frame is from another site.
    The other site contains an ASP application where users login, etc. The system works fine for me (in work and at home) but seemingly not for anyone else!!! :mad: [it is coded correctly! :p ]. When others try login, they can't and there seems to be no logical reason.
    Anyhow, the application utilises Session variables (to keep the user logged in) and also querystrings to go from page to page.
    It also manages to manifest in MSIE.
    Can frames feck everything up or what could be a likely problem?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Does the framed page use cookies? If so, there's your problem. You probably have liberal privacy settings, however the default these days will prevent cookies being set in framed pages from other sites.

adam

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No cookies being used - just Session variables.
    After playing around with it, it seems to get even stranger...
    background info:- the system is a kind of download manager for a school with admin/trainer/student levels - it initially requires a login - ASP & access (ssshh!) based.

In firefox everything works absolutely fine. However, in MSIE the above problem happens but since I have separated the login page into two pages (initially was based on 1 page with a querystring) then the new problem has come:-
    ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9' 
    Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in conflict with one another. 
    /fi_uploads/downloadadmin.asp, line 208 

As I said this doesn't happen in FF - onle MSIE.
    line 208 opens a recordset, the SQL is based on the userlevel which is taken from a session variable. If I get it to write out the session variables, its fine and they are the correct datatypes. However, the SQl doesn't like them. This does not occur in FF though!

Anyhow, after a morning of getting totally pi$$ed off with it, I got rid of the frameset and am just using a redirection to the mainpage's website. Now everything works fine in both browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

kbannon wrote:
    No cookies being used - just Session variables.
    Session Object

When you are working with an application, you open it, do some changes and then you close it. This is much like a Session. The computer knows who you are. It knows when you start the application and when you end. But on the internet there is one problem: the web server does not know who you are and what you do because the HTTP address doesn't maintain state.

ASP solves this problem by creating a unique cookie for each user. The cookie is sent to the client and it contains information that identifies the user. This interface is called the Session object.

Sessions use cookies.

Fair enough - I was not aware of that (mainly as I don't tend to use frames!).
    Is there a way to overcome it using frames?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

Can you post us a link to the site, so we can view what happens!

• Advertisement

It was my error caused by the members area (hosted in Ireland) being held within a frameset on the company's sister site which is UK hosted. As mentioned the session cookies were not retained within MSIE and were within FF.
    Anyhow, the site is working fine now as I just got rid of the frameset (as I had originally wanted to do anyway!).

Advertisement