Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano MTB Hubs

Options
  • 07-09-2005 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anybody out there know whether you can fit any auld shimano MTB cassette onto a shimano MTB hub(dunno what one it is), as long as it has the right number of cogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Is the old cassette still on the wheel? If you have a new (newer than 97 at least!) hub then it will have one narrow spline on the freewheel and the rest wide splines. This will fit any modern shimano cassette.

Next is the length of the freewheel. I've fitted an 8 speed cassette on a hub that originially had 7 speed. Don't know if 8-9 would work. 7-9 definitly wouldn't work.

hey wait! You're my friggin brother!! Why didn't you just call me dumbass :P

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

the cogs on 8 and 7 are the same width, so not sure you can directly replace a 7 with an 8 (unless the seven has a spacer)
    The cogs on a 9 are thinner, so a 9 cassette is the same width as an 8 cassette. Though replacing an 8 with a 9 involves a new chain, new chainrings etc...
    Apart from that, any cassette should do. The cheaper the better in my opinion or €133 for an XTR 9 speed if you're minted!

M

You're correct, now that I think about it I needed to take a dremmel tool to the freewheel to get the 8 speed cassette to fit on!! How did I forget that? Anyway, it worked and hasn't broken off on me yet (though it's only subjected to commuting).

Apparently you can fit a 9 to a 7 speed cassette with one cog removed (road cassettes), giving you 8 gears but with the added expense of changing to a narrower chain and whatever that also.

Anyway, 7 speed cassettes are still available all over so no need to go to the expense of upgrading.

Advertisement