Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imate PDA2K vs imate PDA2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

what you planning to use it for, and what requirements do you have? also, have you had a PDA before, was it a Pocket PC based one?

with the new Pocket PC OS (Windows Mobile 5.0) just around the corner perhaps you can wait and see what the new models have to offer, in particular the new K-Jam which would offer many of the features (incl keyboard, wifi, bt etc.) in a smaller form factor

although with any 'just released' devices you pay a premium, at least until a couple of stock cycles pass and the price drops...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

what you planning to use it for, and what requirements do you have? also, have you had a PDA before, was it a Pocket PC based one?
    Email, IM, ssh, phone calls mainly.....current system is a PMA430(so linux based) with its wifi, and just a regular 6230....
    with the new Pocket PC OS (Windows Mobile 5.0) just around the corner perhaps you can wait and see what the new models have to offer, in particular the new K-Jam which would offer many of the features (incl keyboard, wifi, bt etc.) in a smaller form factor

although with any 'just released' devices you pay a premium, at least until a couple of stock cycles pass and the price drops...
    In my experence that is pretty much always true of mobile devices, once they have gone through 1/2 cycles there tends to be that better model on the horrizon...its always the case no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I think dub is right on this one.

HTC have so many new smartphones coming out in the next coupla months its ridiculous.

The 128Mb Jam/Mini SDA is out.
    The K-Jam aka HTC Wizzard- Jam with Wifi and a mini keyboard is out.
    The HTC universal aka Imate JazMag (Jar) - 3G & Wifi & VGA screen with a keyboard is imminant. Its chunky though...
    Imate SP5 aka HTC tornado
    Imate SP5m aka HTC Amadeus aka Orange C550 Music Phone

Germany seems to be the first to get a lot of these phones. I've seen ads from T mobile and O2. As with the Mini SDA/MDA/Jam they will be all over ebay soon enough.

Qtek versions are reasonable prices on Expansys atm - probably means you can find them even cheaper elsewhere!

I will try to resist but I reckon my SP3i's days are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Serenity wrote:
    In my experience that is pretty much always true of mobile devices, once they have gone through 1/2 cycles there tends to be that better model on the horrizon...its always the case no?

well the latest models with Windows Mobile 5.0 (announced in May) are launching currently/shortly, so they have definitely sailed over the horizon and are coming into port ;)

that's why it may be worth holding to see if any of them offer a better solution for you (both from the hardware and OS side)

sure you could stick with the Pocket PC 2003 / Pocket PC 2003 2nd Ed. devices if they meet you requirements, you'll may even get a decent deal if they start discounting to clear stock with the arrival of the new devices... but i'd take a look at the new OS and devices first before making any purchase...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

hrmm i've swung around to your way of think'n, where is the cheapest place to order phones online these days?

[edit]
    Also sure while i'm asking questions, anyone got a recommended smart phone/pocket pc, primary needs are as above, wifi(with 802.1x auth) , email, web browser, something so i can install an ssh app, keyboard would be nice but not essential. 1.3 MP camera would be sweet, but also not really required. gps would be sweet but only seen that on the ipaq which lacks wifi and has crap batt life...
    [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Personally with your needs I would be looking at an I-mate Jam or K-Jam or one of the Qtek/O2/T-Mobile versions of the same phone. Expansys have a good list of MS smartphones - even if you dont buy from them it gives you a good idea of the range.

However I might hang on if you really want GPS since there are strong rumours that the first Pocket PC phone with GPS will be launched at the end of the year.

Having said that the bluetooth GPS dongles work well with the Jam.

Only drawback afaik of the Jam/K-Jam is its still PocketPC 2003 2nd edition. As the previous poster mentioned Win Mobile 2005 has some nice new features.

Support for USB harddrives/keys would tempt me personally.

Advertisement