Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers ignoring Roadwork signs

Options
  • 07-09-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

On the N3 on the dual carriageway near the dunboyne exit there are or were roadworks. On both sides of the road.

Basically there were loads of signs advising that the right (overtaking) hand lane is closed marked with what looks like a big T and then to left are to sets of arrows curving left indicating that there is still 2 lanes of traffic and you are to use the hard shoulder. This is further made obvious by traffic cones and if thats still not enough it says in plain english "use hard shoulder!"

So the other day i was on my way back towards dublin and i was in the left hand lane. there was a car i think in the right hand lane. anyway he moved into the left hand lane and i moved into the hard shoulder as i was supposed to. AS i got to the end of the roadworks i noticed in my mirror he put the foot down to cut me off, so as i got to where the cones where guiding me back to the left hand lane, instead of moving into the right hand lane, he jammed on the breaks to slow himself down so i could not merge out properly.. then he looks at me in his rearview mirror once i am behind him and starts jamming his breaks again.. then he moves into the right hand lane and slows down so he is right beside me... Gets out a movile phone and is looking at my company van taking down MY details?? I try to indicate with 2 fingers (peace sign not V sign) that it was 2 lanes. He then puts the moves ahead of me again. I was boiling with rage, i was tempted to go after him.. jam on the breaks make him stop get out and call the police on him.
    I was hoping he got the number and called my company so i would have his details and could contact the police.. it was so stupid. Even if he did not notice the sign or did not think it meant i could use the hard shoulder (there was at least 1 red car further behind me using it too) he was acting vigilante and trying to police the road himself. In error of course.

Im just wondering how people can misinterpret or ignore signs that are so blatently obvious in their meaning.

the next day the same thing happened, well no one cut me off or tried to kill me but when i was in the hard shoulder i was beeped at by someone.

Im not saying i obey all roadwork signs i see.. such as on a motorway where because of some non existant roadwork it becomes 50kmh or something.. i will not slow down that much but this was traffic direction and i was not breaking the law as he thought i was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I use this road every day and like yourself, have noticed that very few people seem to be paying any attention to the current speed restrictions on that particular stretch of it. I'm very suprised the Guards haven't been camped out behind the bridges yet (where you can't see them until it's too late) as it's a perfect spot to catch people.

I just move into the hard shoulder and let them all do what they like. Not worth the hassle first thing into the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Like what i did, though had i not been watching my mirror i would have missed the asshole trying to cause an accident.. i wonder what goes through their mind.. what would they think of their actions if they DID in fact cause an accident?
    Anyway i was not complaining about exceeding the speed limit, myself and everyone driving at the time were going faster than the temp limit. It was just the ignorance that led the idiot to think i was not supposed to be in the hard shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I use this road every day and like yourself, have noticed that very few people seem to be paying any attention to the current speed restrictions on that particular stretch of it. I'm very suprised the Guards haven't been camped out behind the bridges yet (where you can't see them until it's too late) as it's a perfect spot to catch people.

I just move into the hard shoulder and let them all do what they like. Not worth the hassle first thing into the morning :)

Driving Miss Daisy!!!!

Advertisement