Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving licences and trailers.

Options
  • 07-09-2005 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

I currently hold a Category B licence and will be towing trailers from time to time. Does the B licence let you tow a trailer as long as the Gross weight is below 3500kg?

If not do I need to reapply for an EB?

From oasis
    To obtain a first provisional licence, you must complete the driver theory test for A, B, M and W. You can then apply for a category A1, A, B, M or W licence (depending on your age). When you pass the B (car) driving test, you are then entitled to apply for an EB licence, without the need to sit the driver theory test again.

Do I apply for a provisional EB?

Gah! So bloody confused. Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

From Transport.ie
    If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

As for the EB licence I don't know how to get it, try ringing the Dept of Transport/ local test centre to see if they do tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The transport.ie quote by Del2005 above is correct.

(B) of same means you can drive a vehicle with a GVW of 3500kg with a GVW 750kg trailer in tow, i.e. Total combination weight = 4250kg.
    This is the only (legally speaking) time you may exceed the 3500kg limit when towing a trailer on a 'B' licence.

We should thank the UK authorities for the fact that we can tow any trailer above 750kg on a 'B' licence !
    They lobbied hard to allow people tow caravans, boat trailers, etc without having to take the 'EB' test.

Our lot couldn't/didn't care less what extra test/expense we would have to undertake ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Nice one - thanks alot lads. Looks like I don't have to face the horror of resitting the driving test!!

Advertisement