Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anthony & the Johnsons

• 07-09-2005 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

mercury prize - surprising! tbh ive only heard what ray d'arcy has played, and some clips from 'Anthony and the Johnsons' (1st album) on iTunes. I'm not sure what I think - normally I would just chance it and buy the album, but this one is such a wild card I think I need some feedback before taking the plunge!

reviews?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

They won it on a technicality. They are an American band and only won it becasue their singer was born in Britain and has not lived their in 20 years. I think this has probably taken some of the prestige off the award. Hard-fi shoulda won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

They won it on a technicality. They are an American band and only won it becasue their singer was born in Britain and has not lived their in 20 years. I think this has probably taken some of the prestige off the award. Hard-fi shoulda won!

Prestige? Hmm.....

Its a crap award anyway......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

yes the prestige :eek:

they won it because their album is very good not just on a technicality

just get I Am A Bird Now since thats the album that they won the prize for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Antony, no H

May have been a "technicality", but the album is by a bit the best one nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

What are the criteria for nominations?? I really thought 'c'mon, feel the Illinoise' by Sufjan Stevens would have been nominated this year. Fwiw i uite like what i've heard of Anthony & the Johnsons although there is a caetain amount of validity i the posts criticising the award, is it not dubious giving an award to a band who have released so little, what happens if everything they release afterwards is ****e? - Look at Miss Dynamite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

Yes, he got it on a technicality, but to be fair the best album won.
    I am a bird now is an absolutely fantastic album. He has such an original voice, its good to see the Mercury Panel taking a risk and giving it to him, knowing the backlash it would cause. They could have played it safe and given it to the Magic Numbers or Kaiser Chiefs or whoever but they're not deserving of the award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I am a fan of Antony & the Johnsons (someone from Boards recommended them a while back) and award or no award, their album is still excellent and worth listening to. It's not everyone's cup of tea - it's not most people's cup of tea probably :p, so I don't think it would be a good idea to impulse buy the album. See if you like them first by listening to the MP3 samples on their site.
    Ann Elk wrote:
    is it not dubious giving an award to a band who have released so little
    The award is based on the album that is nominated and solely on that album. What comes before or after is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

thanks serbian! i dont tend to go for the 'everybodys cup of tea' music anyway. just listened to some of those clips from the link you gave, and I think I'll make my purchase at lunch-time! cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ann Elk wrote:
    What are the criteria for nominations?? I really thought 'c'mon, feel the Illinoise' by Sufjan Stevens would have been nominated this year. Fwiw i uite like what i've heard of Anthony & the Johnsons although there is a caetain amount of validity i the posts criticising the award, is it not dubious giving an award to a band who have released so little, what happens if everything they release afterwards is ****e? - Look at Miss Dynamite
    Like Serbian said, it's an album award, not an artist's award. Only criteria is they have to be British or Irish, but as people have pointed out, that can be bended. And learn to make readable posts.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

If he was born in Britain, that makes him British and as such qualify, I would've thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Born there and lived there for most of the first 20 years of his life, its just KAiser chiefs or other non-bands fans that have a gripe with A&J's winning, they prob don't get it cos their not trendy enough.... yet

Get the Album you will not be dissappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭SBob

Hmm.. Was hoping Bloc Party would win but I knew it wasn't going to be the Kaiser Chiefs- they never go for the obvious ones and its not an exceptional album anyway.

In the past i think they've always picked really good albums so i'll definitely give this one a shot

SBob wrote:

In the past i think they've always picked really good albums so i'll definitely give this one a shot

'cept for M People !! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I think it's a good way of reasserting that the award goes to the best album - not the hippest band, or the biggest band, or historically the best band.

And the fact that Antony lives overseas and won - over a worse-than-average field - shows what the NME's crap-spouting and scene-mongering has done to British music... i.e. made it crap

My friend said "why weren't Arcade Fire nominated?" today. I said it was because Canadian music isn't crap. Dunno what I meant by that, but they're way better than the whole British and Irish field of contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hard-fi shoulda won!

I really, REALLY hope this is a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

either bloc party or MIA should have won it. i don't think it's fair antony and the johnsons won, not just because they're ****e, but because they don't feel british... i always think the album winning should really feel british...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Fair play to Antony and to the Mercury people for having the balls to pick the best album. Antony got in on the same "technicality" that the Kaiser Chiefs got in on. I'm sure other Mercury prize winners have lived outside of the British Isles. Antony has released two great albums and several EPs of highly original and distinctive material, toured the world several times on his own and as part of Lou Reed's band. Kaiser Chiefs can't decide if they want to be a Blur tribute band or a Clash tribute band. Granted Bloc Party are pretty good but they're no Antony ;)

either bloc party or MIA should have won it. i don't think it's fair antony and the johnsons won, not just because they're ****e, but because they don't feel british... i always think the album winning should really feel british...

they don't feel british? so to you to cock-party feel British? how does one feel a nationality? texture?

this sounds like one of those things people say when they don't like what they are hearing and try to voice an opinion but just end up sounding... silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

what about an Irish artist that wins, should they sound British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

John2 wrote:
    what about an Irish artist that wins, should they sound British?

I'm sure he means that they should feel British (Isles) ish. You know what he means, instead of saying he feels too American he said he doesn't feel English enough.

• Advertisement

Who cares what they sound like it's how they 'feel' - right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Next years qualifying rule (expanded):

An act can only be nominated if they were born in Ireland & UK*.

*They must reside in the mentioned areas. This could be akin to taxation rules, you have to spend x amount of the year to be considered a resident and not 'just' a passport holder (would also keep out those "passports for cash" citizens/subjects or worse from winning). Also that their music 'sounds' like it came from the above mentioned areas (whatever that means). Finally, Acts should possibly be 'felt' up to establish worthiness for Competition entry ;)

...or maybe the judges should just pick what they think is the best album.

Talvin Singh didnt sound very British, more Indian what with all the sitaars etc. Nationality is a load of boll**ks!!

Advertisement