Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox360 games to cost a fortune

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

ouch, yet another reason to stick with the xbox1. besides, I saw some of the demos for 360 and I wasnt blown away by them to be honest. I think I'll wait and see how the PS3 compares, I've a funny feeling it might be worth waiting for that (particularily since there are far more developers working on games for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

thwy are remaining the same price in the states so why not here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its not unusual for next games to cost more at first, they will come down.

They're are increasing the prices in America aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

I know some games im not getting lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Believe nothing until the games are on the shop shelves and you are rooting around in your change purse looking for the price marked on the box. The market will only tolerate prices set at a certain level, any higher and they risk pushing the market into decline as people refuse to buy games and stay in the second hand market or buy an alterative console with cheaper games. Aand if you read the whole article it seems to suggest that the real world price will be closer to €60 what with discounts and all. They will be that bit pricier, similar to when Nintendo brought out big titles on the N64 like Zelda Majoras mask and Perfect Dark I seem to remember they had slightly higher prices too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

nah, i dont believe that they will be about 45-60 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

60 odd euro is still considerabl cheaper than what SNES and Mgadrive games used to cost back in the day. I remember my Super Street Fighter 2 cost 70 punt for the Megadrive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

60 odd euro is still considerabl cheaper than what SNES and Mgadrive games used to cost back in the day. I remember my Super Street Fighter 2 cost 70 punt for the Megadrive..

Yeah I rmember paying a bloddy fortune for SNES carts, but then again they did cost a lot more to manufacture than Dvds do now.

Costs more to develop the game now.. The likes of EA are publicly listed companies so it will be blatantly obvious if they are increasing their margins on software with the new generation of consoles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd expect them to be the same as they are now. The days of N64 games adn Snes games costing £70 are long gone. As someone said, €70+ they will never sustain it and people will not buy them. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

just modify the xbox 360 and then the price of games won't be a problem

.... not suggesting anything illegal of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

then what are you suggesting??? hmmm??? :p

it'll take a while for the xbox360 to be modded. it'll happen eventaully but it will take a bit to get around the new security M$ are building into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Scruff wrote:
    then what are you suggesting??? hmmm??? :p

it'll take a while for the xbox360 to be modded. it'll happen eventaully but it will take a bit to get around the new security M$ are building into it.

From what I've heard the security will be hardware based and I'd say it might be a long time for someone to break that. Although saying that, the guys that mod consoles see the security features as a challange to be over come.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

How much does it cost to actually make the game itself? i.e. the DVD/CD disc with the box & manual etc.?
    Couldn't be any more than €3 or €4 surely?? Makes ya sick to think about how they're ripping you off, doesn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Sure didn't halo 2 cost something ridiculous to make as well, something in hte region of 20mill... could be off the mark there.

But other costs built into that that you dont see, is the programmers salary, studio time to voice the characters not to mention paying actors to voice it. For footie games getting players in to do the movements and everything and im sure they are not cheap. So there is a lot of cost, the cost in making a game now using the likes of Shevchenko covered in a suit putting his body movements into a computers are a lot more than the old days of mearly creating sprites and basic sounds.

Me personally say €50, for the amount thats in games now a days compared to what used to me in them and rates of inflation. I think we are doing quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

major games like halo cost 20million. half life 2 cost around 60mil because they had to make it 3 times over.. but with these big titles and big costs comes big sales, so they make that money back plus a quite large profit margin, hence why microsoft and sony entered the market in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

maybe the nintendo revolution will win the next console war because of the cost of developing for the 360 and PS3. Nintendo seem to be encouraging innovation rather than just throwing money at pimping tired old game types.

There's a good article about their controller (seems to be the reason for the name 'nintendo revolution') which I reckon will allow even small studios with limited budgets to develop original game types seeing as the revolution is not as graphically powerfull as the other two consoles:
    nintendo revolution controller

maybe it'll be crap but my hope is that it'll encourage more women to play games as well (which would be cool). We'll have to wait and see.

Bruce Fan wrote:
    How much does it cost to actually make the game itself? i.e. the DVD/CD disc with the box & manual etc.?
    Couldn't be any more than €3 or €4 surely?? Makes ya sick to think about how they're ripping you off, doesn't it!

Do you actually have any sort of concept regarding the amount of people and time that goes into developing a modern game.. Sheesh tis a new low for the Rip Off brigade on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

This is the crux of the argument, games are a lot cheaper now when you take inflation into account. But you could also make the point that they are a lot more commonplace now.
    Do you actually have any sort of concept regarding the amount of people and time that goes into developing a modern game.. Sheesh tis a new low for the Rip Off brigade on this forum.

I think his point is the physical media is a lot cheaper to manufacture nowadays. I know its not the whole argument but you cant really fault that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I would say to start with the games may be ~€70, but if you cast your mind back to when the Xbox was first released, games like Halo where selling for 69.99, then slowly dropped to 64.99, which you will still pay for some of the bigger titles at relaese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Looks like games will be €70+ here in the shops so :(
    At first> but given time the price should lower, as each supplier will try and outdo each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

All games on the Xbox cost €70 for ~1st year it was out (GAME were charging €80/ game for the first couple of weeks) so I don't know what the big deal is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm thinking more about what games there will actualy be this side of the new year and how good they'll be...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/10/10/xbox_360_launch_list.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, Far Cry is €60 at the mo, so reckon the Xbox360 game price won't be too much of a shock to the system, as the console gets more popular and widely owned the price will come down as stores discount them, depends on the pricing structure behind the games and how much the stores can shave off the RRP and still make a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

€70 seems a bit high.Internet will probably be the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Games up on Play are all at 63.99.....so 70 for some shops in Dublin sounds about right.

But thats for a brand new console, they should start dropping after xmas.

Advertisement