Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up DMZ

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Heads up? Sure!!! :D

I think the problem is we're discussing it from different hymn sheets, yours is RFC 1631 rather than how vendor's impliment 1631 in reality.

So yes it's a pointless discussion, see you in the fitz? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I'm a newbie with this subject

:confused:

Lads, I get the impression you're all going way over this guys head, he didn't ask who could quote the most jargon in one thread .
    Psychedelik: DMZ isn't a good idea, but it's your choice and you do have a software firewall .
    Check these links http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Routers;action=display;num=1103408440
    http://firewalling.com/btvoyager/205adsl-firewall.htm

I'm presuming I've got the right modem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Go for DMZ and a software firewall imo

ITs far easier than messing about with router firewalls...

It has always been my preference since torrents and other such p2ps came out, it just represents a simpler, quicker, non restarting method of controlling traffic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

Well I figured out ( :rolleyes: ..) how to set up a DMZ, on IP 192.168.1.3. It turns out my BitTorrent client uses a random port rather than the standard 6681-6699. I can change the settings, but usually with filesharing software the more ports they have the better.

So I think DMZ works fine for me (a non-networked, home PC setup), much better than setting up loads of Public/Private rules. One thing I might consider using the router's firewall for is blocking high-vulnerability ports such as NetBIOS 137.

I'd like to know why with the GRC port scanner I never get any prompts to allow/deny traffic?? It's automatically stealth.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I can change the settings, but usually with filesharing software the more ports they have the better.
    Nah, more or less ports makes no difference. In fact, using random ports is a pain in the ass at times (take the MSN example if you have a router without UPnP. Theres no way you can use voice/video chat on the router unless you forward all ports/setup a DMZ).

The efficiency of a P2P app isn't dependant on the amount of ports it has access to. A well designed app will just use a single port (or two) for everything. But it is much easier to code for 1 port per download :P Whatever works for yourself is good, but you'll have to disable the DMZ if you ever want to share the internet between computers. Then we'll be here to help you with the NAT'ing.

EDIT: One thing that will make your transfers faster is NOT using the default port/port range. Always choose your own random port number to transfer on. ISP's know the default port ranges of all the P2P apps, and so they have been known to give all traffic on those ports lesser priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

EDIT: One thing that will make your transfers faster is NOT using the default port/port range. Always choose your own random port number to transfer on. ISP's know the default port ranges of all the P2P apps, and so they have been known to give all traffic on those ports lesser priority.

Irish ISP's do would *actually* do somethink like that?1?1?1!?!//1?1?1?1 nooooooo, It can't be true.

Advertisement