Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mountain bike advice - €400

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

If you are going for a Kona at that price I would strongly recommend trying to find a steel Hahanna. The alu frame on the Lana'i isn't worth the alloy its made of and is very heavy.

For the money you have to spend, I'd try a Giant Terrago/Yukon/Rincon/Boulder or a Specialized Hardrock XC.

I am not sure about GT now, but they are not the same company they were ten years ago. After hitting financial troubles they're QC went out the window. I don't know if they've got back on track yet.

As for Ridgeback, they make qualitly hybrid/city bikes but I wouldn't use it for off road riding. But thats just my opinion.

If you are not bothered about new bikes, try find some older stock from 2004. The only difference in this range of bikes is the frame and forks change colour every year. Now is a great time for bargaining as the 2006 stock will hit the shops in a matter of weeks.

Good luck with your purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

hmm,

the Specialized Hardrock XC.: http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p691

seems to be it.£239/€347

the other are 2006 models (at least on http://www.mcconveycycles.com/)

and are:
    Make & Model Price

GIANT Terrago Disc £399.00
    GIANT Yukon £299.00
    GIANT Rincon £250.00
    GIANTBoulder £219.00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I own a Hard Rock XC FS and I find it brilliant, Very light but its very strong and rigid. I still have bog standard forks (RST Capa's), which Im upgrading a few months to set of Marzocchi (not too sure of which type), The only thing I have replaced is the stem, I got a short specialized one thats very short and stubby.

Great bike though.

Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Yep I would probably go for a Specialized model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

i ordered the Specialized Hard Rock XC FS.

cheers for the advice

• Advertisement

Here's a pic of mine to get you through the wait!!!

Bike.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is it any use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Whats wrong with it.... it's so clean... my eyes... burning

It was about 3 weeks old in that picture, but I do keep it clean. whats the point of letting it get ruined by leaving weeks of mud on it. My only gripe about it is the shocks they need upgrading but im pretty skint at the moment and my bike is pretty low down on my to-do list......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

If its covered in grime and mud, thieves are much less likely to be interested. You wouldn't have known my town bike was originally red by the time I'd finished with it :)

• Advertisement

I know all about thieves, my last bike was stolen with a D-lock and a coil lock on it, this bike spends its life either in my house or across the road from my shop (I can see it all day) with an ABUS lock wrapped around it. Ive spotted 3 different lads taking a good look at the lock and giving it tug and Ive even approached a little prick telling him to fúck off away from it, and he just stood there and said he didnt belive it was mine..... cheaky little fúckers.

What Height are u and the frame ?

Im over 6'4" and its a 21" frame, its bloody massive and I love it that way. anything smaller and it just seems weird..... my girlfriend has a 19" trek frame and if I ride that it seems really small. The only thing I had to do was change the Handlebar stem to a short stubby one so the steering is nice and sharp.

S.

Hmmm you really 6,4 or just say you are ? I'm about 6,2 or 3

RasTa wrote:
    Hmmm you really 6,4 or just say you are ? I'm about 6,2 or 3

In shoes Im over 6'4" and out of shoes im over 6'3" So to round things up I say Im 6'4", If you catch me with my shoes off, Ill say im 6'3"! That said Ive a mate who's 6'8"............ the only bloke i know who I have to look up to!!
    Whats with all the questions about height? Im sure Im not the only person out there with a 21" hardrock!

Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Whats with all the questions about height? Im sure Im not the only person out there with a 21" hardrock!

Too right, my bro has one, and it's a very nice bike. He be shorter than you, just under 6'3".
    Come to think of it he's also shorter than me and my MBK has a 19" frame and I have no probs with it. In fact, even though my bike is slightly smaller, I prefer cycling it, but that could just be down to the fact that I'm so used to my own one!

KR

Ive always liked smaller bikes up untill this one, Ive ridden BMX for years (S&M Warpig frame) but I just tried a 21" frame when I was buying it and it just felt perfect, I dont hate smaller bikes, they are great to chuck around and jumping, but over all the 21" hits the nail on the head!

Advertisement