Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get B'band in limerick...

• 07-09-2005 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a decent broadband provider???

Would prefer wireless, Do not have a phoneline and would prefer not to have the hassle of getting connected...

If anyone can advise one that is worth the connection that is fine...

Also do any companys, have contracts that are about 6 months or smaller??

Regards...

Hughesy :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you have line of sight to the Clarion Hotel in Limerick then you can probably get IBB, their mast is on the roof of the hotel. I know of two people in Limerick who have recently got IBB Breeze in and it's working perfectly, 1Mb up and down. However, look at all the IBB threads to see how shoddy this company really is and you may not want to consider them.

I don't know of any other wireless operator in the area so you're choices are Eircom/BT/UTV etc, or wait for Smart (still not set up here though), but you'll need a phone line of course.

BT's contract is 6 months I think, plus they're now advertising €10 broadband (but is this like Eircom Time, I don't know?). I think I heard on an IBB ad that there is no minimum contract with them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Hughesy

jor el wrote:
    If you have line of sight to the Clarion Hotel in Limerick then you can probably get IBB, their mast is on the roof of the hotel. I know of two people in Limerick who have recently got IBB Breeze in and it's working perfectly, 1Mb up and down. However, look at all the IBB threads to see how shoddy this company really is and you may not want to consider them.

I don't know of any other wireless operator in the area so you're choices are Eircom/BT/UTV etc, or wait for Smart (still not set up here though), but you'll need a phone line of course.

BT's contract is 6 months I think, plus they're now advertising €10 broadband (but is this like Eircom Time, I don't know?). I think I heard on an IBB ad that there is no minimum contract with them too.

Cheers for the quick response...

I have a friend who has just got IBB and he's having no problems.... Not to say the threads here are putting me off.

As the contract situation, it's a little funny because they say there is no minimum contract, but in the T&C's there is a thing they call
    1.5 “Minimum Period” means the term commencing on date of installation of the Equipment and the date twelve (12) months thereafter.

Later in the T&C's it says this
    6.2 This Agreement will commence at the date of signature by both Parties and continue for the Initial Period. After the Minimum Period expires the Agreement may be terminated by either party, giving the other 30 days’ prior notice. The Subscriber must pay Subscription up to the end of that 30 day notice period.

So that is just a smart way of getting u into a 12 month contract....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Forget IBB im in Limerick, Caherdavin and got them in and got them out today
    just dont do it to yourself.

Digiweb is what you want http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

ricey wrote:
    Forget IBB im in Limerick, Caherdavin and got them in and got them out today
    just dont do it to yourself.

Digiweb is what you want http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband.asp

Thats scarey i am waiting for them to come and install , i am out by the parkway , what kind of speeds and what package were you on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

BrendanD wrote:
    Thats scarey i am waiting for them to come and install , i am out by the parkway , what kind of speeds and what package were you on ?

You probable made a mistake getting IBB...then again theres always a chance your one of the (few) lucky ones to get the quoted speeds!!!

• Advertisement

Dont go ahead with IBB get Digiweb dont be foolish.

Speeds of 20kB`s on a 3mbit line!

Doesn't look as if Digiweb do wireless in Limerick :(

What's the cost of getting a phoneline installed these days??? Are there any deals???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hughesy wrote:

What's the cost of getting a phoneline installed these days??? Are there any deals???
    limerick is a big place could you be a bit more specific

Hughesy wrote:

Yes you can get Digiweb wireless in Limerick.

Im gettin the new metro wireless ( 3mb down / 1mb up ) €90ex.vat.

ricey wrote:

i have seen that whats the waiting time ?, ibb are supposed to be coming next week i can have it for 2 weeks free tryout .btw the business package looks good no cap [HTML]http://www.digiweb.ie/inbusiness_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=34[/HTML]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fsol

ricey wrote:

...been jiving at the cross roads with various suppliers trying to get b'band - looks like I dodged a bullet by not getting tied up with IBB. Anyhoo, also rang about Metro (on Tuesday) to be told - and I kid you not - that they "couldn't talk about Metro til it's offically launched". Think she said today was D-Day but if I was supposed to be on tenterhooks dying to find out more, suffice to say I was underwhelmed at such a marketing ploy.

Upshot is I'm in Pallaskenry - due south of Shannon airport as the crow flies. Was told by other provider they'd plans to put base station there with a 3/4 km radius, which would include my home. Except they've to wait for Govt go head etc etc - so I'm not holdng my breath on that one either.

Which brings me back to the mysterious Metro - Ricey, can you update me on what the package is - radius of service, rates etc? Thought getting b'band for the folks would be a piss of piss, albeit excessively expensive. Have tried Esat, Digiweb and even (gasp!) Eircom to no avail.

Cheers!

South Circular rd...

BrendanD wrote:
    i have seen that whats the waiting time ?, ibb are supposed to be coming next week i can have it for 2 weeks free tryout .btw the business package looks good no cap [HTML]http://www.digiweb.ie/inbusiness_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=34[/HTML]

Look get IBB if you want but all i will say is you have benn told that it is a bad
    choice and you will be sorry you did.
    i cant even use it, i use my DSL connection i held onto if IBB was crap and it was worse then crap il do a speed test and post it here later just to show you
    what i get from my 3mbit line.

SPEED.jpg

Like that is so so bad its crazy how IBB can get away with it, the only reason
    i still have it is because i cant get through to them to cancel it "your call is imprortant to us please stay on the line" that is all you get. i have told my bank to stop any payments to IBB so let the ba$tards ring me.

Please dont get there crappy service for your own sake.

Like that is supposed to be 3mbit`s Line ha ha n its not even funny :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

How about the IrishWan group.

www.irish-wan.com http://forums.irishwan.org/index.php

I'm connected in Galway but they are more active in Limerick. Its a wireless system where you need to have line of sight to a node who can see someone else and so on.

There are groups in the irishwan all over ireland but we have a link all the way from Galway/Clare/Limerick to Cork

Internet access is not quaranteed but you may be able to share another users access (not free) and have access that way.

If you interested in games ping rates between users on the wan network are quick and are often higher than someone with a DSL line themselves.

This is a hobbiest network each user buys there own antenna and router (embedded pc eg wrap board or you can use a old pc.)

You can also talk to the lads in real time on irc at irc.irishwan.org channel #limerickwan most nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

imagine are also coming to limerick in the next month or two..supposed to be around 45euros for a 3mbit line..it's wireless as well...
    I have the ripwve at the moment and it's grand for downloading etc..
    a mate has the 2mb and he says it's very good..low pings and fast speeds..apparently they upgraded the limerick site in the last fortnight.
    Only thing is IBB themselves are absolutely appalling at support...

ricey wrote:
    SPEED.jpg

Like that is so so bad its crazy how IBB can get away with it, the only reason
    i still have it is because i cant get through to them to cancel it "your call is imprortant to us please stay on the line" that is all you get. i have told my bank to stop any payments to IBB so let the ba$tards ring me.

Please dont get there crappy service for your own sake.

Like that is supposed to be 3mbit`s Line ha ha n its not even funny :mad:
    Thanks Ricey
    I wont be getting them in checked phone line with Digiweb should be ok in about 3 weeks , dont know how IBB get away with that, I thought they were over subscribed in Dublin and it might be different in Limerick

BrenD

Same as what i thought but it just as bad here as in dublin and cork.

Im tellin ya the new digiweb metro wireless seems cool,

Im on DSL now with digiweb 3mbit and its perfect only for the 256k up speed.

Airblazer wrote:
    imagine are also coming to limerick in the next month or two..supposed to be around 45euros for a 3mbit line..it's wireless as well...
    I have the ripwve at the moment and it's grand for downloading etc..
    a mate has the 2mb and he says it's very good..low pings and fast speeds..apparently they upgraded the limerick site in the last fortnight.
    Only thing is IBB themselves are absolutely appalling at support...

This is not true, sorry.

fearrchair wrote:
    How about the IrishWan group.

www.irish-wan.com http://forums.irishwan.org/index.php

I'm connected in Galway but they are more active in Limerick. Its a wireless system where you need to have line of sight to a node who can see someone else and so on.

There are groups in the irishwan all over ireland but we have a link all the way from Galway/Clare/Limerick to Cork

Internet access is not quaranteed but you may be able to share another users access (not free) and have access that way.

If you interested in games ping rates between users on the wan network are quick and are often higher than someone with a DSL line themselves.

This is a hobbiest network each user buys there own antenna and router (embedded pc eg wrap board or you can use a old pc.)

You can also talk to the lads in real time on irc at irc.irishwan.org channel #limerickwan most nights.
    Brendan, what kind of money are we looking at??? I presume there is no contact....

• Advertisement

Just found out that the place that i'm renting is to new to have broadband!!!

So looks like i have to go wireless!!!

So what are my options now????

Digiweb metro!!! AGAIN.

ricey wrote:
    Digiweb metro!!! AGAIN.
    I didn't think wireless was released in limerick yet...

Have you ordered ricey??

If so, how long for installation??

ricey wrote:
    Digiweb metro!!! AGAIN.
    Also, on the website, when you click "Order Now" Limerick doesn't come up????

digiweb metro is set up for limerick..was already talking to them this morning...you need to have line of sight to the city..have a look at their website
    http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=90&zzz=hm

Airblazer wrote:
    digiweb metro is set up for limerick..was already talking to them this morning...you need to have line of sight to the city..have a look at their website
    http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=90&zzz=hm
    Kool, what did they say to you??? Will give them a ring this afternoon....

girl I was talking to on the phone Niamh didn't exactly know where the base station was..anyway every customer has a los test done before anything is installed..looks to be be good value...43euros(incl vat) for a 3mb option...download is 30gig but what the hell...at least it'll stop serial torrent downloaders from hogging the line..

Airblazer wrote:
    girl I was talking to on the phone Niamh didn't exactly know where the base station was..anyway every customer has a los test done before anything is installed..looks to be be good value...43euros(incl vat) for a 3mb option...download is 30gig but what the hell...at least it'll stop serial torrent downloaders from hogging the line..
    Ordered yesterday!!! Going to be a long 4/6 weeks wait!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Can anyone tell me where the base station in Limerick is?
    I live in Caherconlish and on the phone I've been told I'm 'just' outside the range to get the service. :(
    The helpful guy on the phone told me they won't even do an LOS test if I'm not in the big red circle.
    What I want to know is, where is the centre of the big red circle ?

• Advertisement

jimoc wrote:
    Can anyone tell me where the base station in Limerick is?
    I live in Caherconlish and on the phone I've been told I'm 'just' outside the range to get the service. :(
    The helpful guy on the phone told me they won't even do an LOS test if I'm not in the big red circle.
    What I want to know is, where is the centre of the big red circle ?
    Not 100% sure jimoc, but i think it's 4km from the centre of town

Advertisement