Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Sept. 10] NTSA AGM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Clash wrote:
    In your opinion, here's mine on the failed motions. Maybe this can start a debate, so everyone put away your prejudices and let's do this like adults :p
    :D
    OK, I'm not sure on this one, there are serious risks inherent on either side of this argument. My view is this would require a meeting all to itself, with a lot more input and information than I have at my disposal right now. Can we leave this to a seperate thread?
    It is rather a large topic, but we're hesitant to split up the thread.
    OK, this is a bit like the discussion over publication of cabinet meeting minutes. On that argument, I felt that the possibility of publication probably would lead to a less than frank exchange of views and create a dysfunctional atmosphere, where business would be second to self-preservation.
    And I would feel that if something is being done at the top table in my name, I don't want it to be something that you wouldn't stand behind in public. Want to bad-mouth someone without the proof in hand? Go down the pub. Want to bitch about how some shooters are a pain in the ass to deal with? Go down the pub. Want to bitch about how annoying the DoJ can be for us? Go down the pub. And so on.

If, on the other hand, you're arguing over where funding should go, I want to know what the reasoning was. And since it's my money (through dues and taxes), and the decision as to where it's spent affects me (since it's my sport), I feel I have a right to that knowledge.
    In view of the accusations of the meeting being stuffed, wouldn't it be even easier (and cheaper) under those rules? I don't know what the net effect on the NTSA budget would be, but I would have thought that the affiliation fee was quite low as it is. Anybody?
    Affiliation fee is currently €40 for clubs and €15 for individuals, who must apply through the clubs. Which means that as you graduate from college, you're dropped from the net.
    The "pay nothing for the first year" idea would show us how much interest there was in the sport every year (College clubs get up to 700-odd members joining each year) and from the number who continued to remain in, we get an idea of the active membership (College clubs would have a turnover rate above 50% - people join, try it once or twice, then can decide it's not for them and walk off, or they can just lose interest, or they can just join for the party and not bother to shoot, etc, etc. Active membership tends to be near the hundred mark in the big years for DURC).
    The motion has several motives;
    • Gather information on the number of people shooting in the sport at present - if it really only is 120-odd people, then something's astray, because there are 298 people on the books in DURC right now, and over a hundred of those would have been active through termtime.
    • Make membership of the NGB more accessible to collegiate students and juniors. Those who believe that reducing the fee from €15 to €2 will have no impact are... somewhat out of touch with the financial situation of students.
    • Increase the membership of the NGB.
    • Increase and maintain the database of contacts for the NGB.
    • Increase the weight behind the NGB's grant applications. Consider the plausible responses to a request for funding for 100 people versus one for 600 people (and that's just adding the college clubs to the current membership).
    Again, not sure about this one. Would having a shoot supported by the NTSA be any better attended than ones not supported?
    Have we ever tried it?
    And I would argue that were the prizes better (at least at the lower levels of the sport), there might be more motivation to compete; but a club that must break even usually skimps on the prizes (if I had a euro for the number of times I've seen eyes roll at cheap dodgy dogs' gravestones for prizes...). If the NTSA was providing prizes for a years' worth of competitions, savings could be made by bulk buying custom medals or the like.
    If that's the point that is. And if it's to support club shoots, perhaps a better approach would be to find out what is reducing support and tackle that, rather than giving money to clubs to keep them in funds.
    But without the funds, what can the clubs do to counter such problems? Let's say the problem was facilities; what can the club do about that without cash? And there are numerous other possibilities, but for once, I'd like to see someone not say "well, it's the shooters, isn't it? Damn lazy sods don't know they're born. Wouldn't happen in my day, oh no, in my day we were down the range morning, noon and night and we set record scores and we were princes among men..." :D
    The purpose being?
    So that we have an idea before we go of what result we should expect, and that afterwards we see what it was that we did that helped us towards that goal and what it was that we could do better, and what it was that just plain didn't work. We send off a shooter to a world cup; he comes in last. Do we blame him? Or do we notice that we sent him without a team manager, a coach, any backup whatsoever? Or is it down to an act-of-god type equipment failure or whatever? What lessons do we learn from it for next time? How do we do our best to ensure that noone else ever has to see their name in that spot on the list? What do we have to do?

If all you have is a "What I Did Last Summer" type of report, you learn nothing. You need others to ask questions you wouldn't have thought of yourself, you need to review what happened and analyse both the successes and the failures in order to improve.
    This is starting to sound like the cricket forum :D
    It does sound odd... right up until you're trying to set a qualifying score in the last registered shoot for the year and the windspeed is pushing thirty knots...
    Is this not a bit OTT? According to reports there are only about 120 members of the NTSA, that's less than most clubs in the UK!
    That's referring to creating a communications network so every club's PRO has a means to contact every other club's PRO and the national PRO, either to look for help in promoting an event or to get details on something they've been asked about, or whatever. It also helps them pass on information to the others as well.
    Agreed, what was the rationale for those opposing?
    That having them all together was loads of fun.

The disadvantages are numerous: College clubs cut out of the Nationals, huge requirements being placed on manpower for the organisers, shooters being forced to travel a hundred miles between ranges, off-season training schedules being scrapped because there no longer is an off-season, training for a specific national championships event no longer being possible as they're all run at the same time (except for the 25yd Indoor Nationals, which apparently isn't a "real" nationals), and the scores for the events all went down from last year (except for the 3P where the winning score increased by one point, but it's the first event of the four that were run that weekend). The Nationals, don't forget, is a registered shoot - so by running it like this, you're imposing a choice on shooters; do they want to make the National Squad (in which case, train for one event and shoot it to the exclusion of others), or do they want to go for the National Championships (in which case the same is effectively true), or do they just want to go away and shoot for a weekend (in which case, happy days).

I think it comes down to what you want - I just had this idea that the NGB of olympic target shooting would want to improve both participation and performance, as opposed to participation alone.
    That's the one I espoused here, make no apologies for, and makes it no less valid.
    I've no problem with that at all - so long as the interests of the student and junior shooters aren't sacrificed for those of the senior and master shooters!

And by the way, what everyone seems to forget with collegiate shooters is that they graduate. And become young, relatively high-earning professionals in most cases. And thus have an amount of disposable income that can be put towards the sport. Which means, in the medium to long term, more shooters with better equipment in more clubs. Since UCDRC was founded, a very conservative estimate would say that we've graduated 10,000 trained shooters from DURC and UCDRC, at levels from recreational plinker through National Champion level to International level. Imagine how healthy the sport would be now, if we'd paid sufficient attention to the beginner's end of the sport to keep even a small fraction of them involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭tireur

Whilst you are congratulating yourselves on energising the membership and getting so many to sign up/renew so quickly, you might consider why this happened. Do you think it was to support a different way of organising the sport or could it have been to balance up a debate and decision making process.

What do you mean, tireur?

What was the sign up rate like in each of the constituent clubs in the period running up to the meeting?

Can't speak as to the others tireur, but the bulk of the sign-ups in WTSC were for the shooters going to Bisley, and the those in DURC were coming up to the Nationals. But surely you're not suggesting that the sudden rise in membership was simply to be able to outvote anything that came up on the agenda!

• Advertisement

I have no idea, what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I'm just going to jump in here and discuss a couple of topics. I'll look at some of the other ones as time permits. Good work Clash on starting the ball rolling.
    Sparks wrote:
    And I would feel that if something is being done at the top table in my name, I don't want it to be something that you wouldn't stand behind in public. Want to bad-mouth someone without the proof in hand? Go down the pub. Want to bitch about how some shooters are a pain in the ass to deal with? Go down the pub. Want to bitch about how annoying the DoJ can be for us? Go down the pub. And so on.
    I'm of the opinion that you're being a bit simplistic here Sparks. I'm sure that quite a few committee meetings are taken up with referring to people in uncomplimentary terms, however I would imagine that some discussions could involve the names or opinions of third parties, who would not like their (third hand) words published in print. Then you have to edit the minutes, either to avoid possible legal consequences or an argy bargy about whether or not a said x to b. This is just off the top of my head btw. I know of situations in other committees I have sat on, where certain directions of the discussion would have had peoples heads in baskets when the revolution came.
    If, on the other hand, you're arguing over where funding should go, I want to know what the reasoning was. And since it's my money (through dues and taxes), and the decision as to where it's spent affects me (since it's my sport), I feel I have a right to that knowledge.
    Sparks, I think you have a bit of emotional baggage about minutes :D And if you remember, the last time this was discussed, I supported your right to see previous minutes while you were on the committee. However, I did not support the right of everyone to see them.

My fundamental belief, is that we elect a committee to run the association in our best interests, to the best of their ability. If they do not do so, they are removed at the following AGM. We do not elect them, and then look over their shoulder at every opportunity and question their every decision. Sure, we can question them when we see something we don't agree with and they have the right to accept or discard whatever view we articulate, and to coin your phrase 'grumble down the pub' when they disagree with us, but we gave them the job to do, and they should be allowed the time and space to do that job.

If you want to know these things, why not just ask? If you don't trust the answer to be honest, are you going to trust a set of edited minutes? At the end of the day, funding questions will be answered in the accounts and at the AGM. But here's a question for you; How many other bodies publish the minutes of their private management meetings?.

If I sat on a committee, and was asked by a member to publish the minutes of meetings I attended, I would see that as a fundamental mistrust of the decision making process and my own integrity. Is this in essence at the heart of your request?, and can you honestly say that you have asked this of other committees that represented your interests in other walks of your life?

Out of time, gotta go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

S'funny ... :confused:

People used to bandy about words like "Openness" and "Transparency"

"Ho.Hum" ! ..Said Pooh ..

rrpc wrote:
    I'm of the opinion that you're being a bit simplistic here Sparks.
    I'm not sure it's so much simplistic as a case of different philosophies rrpc!
    I'm sure that quite a few committee meetings are taken up with referring to people in uncomplimentary terms, however I would imagine that some discussions could involve the names or opinions of third parties, who would not like their (third hand) words published in print. Then you have to edit the minutes, either to avoid possible legal consequences or an argy bargy about whether or not a said x to b.
    An accurate summation of the current situation. However, I would argue that the correct solution is not to hide away that it's done; but to stop doing it in the first place.
    When the committee meets, and I know they usually don't think this way because it sounds terribly puffed-up, but they are meeting to make decisions in all our names. That's got a bit of weight behind it, and the decisions do impact us. So I'd like to see it undertaken with a bit less frivolity and a bit more of a sense of procedure, equitability, even decorum!
    Sparks, I think you have a bit of emotional baggage about minutes :D And if you remember, the last time this was discussed, I supported your right to see previous minutes while you were on the committee. However, I did not support the right of everyone to see them.
    I remember it well rrpc, but I doubt feeling annoyance at an annoying action can qualify as emotional baggage!
    It does raise the interesting point; how will the new committee members get up to speed on developments over the past 18 months, since they are not permitted to see those minutes?
    My fundamental belief, is that we elect a committee to run the association in our best interests, to the best of their ability. If they do not do so, they are removed at the following AGM. We do not elect them, and then look over their shoulder at every opportunity and question their every decision. Sure, we can question them when we see something we don't agree with and they have the right to accept or discard whatever view we articulate, and to coin your phrase 'grumble down the pub' when they disagree with us, but we gave them the job to do, and they should be allowed the time and space to do that job.

I can understand the sentiment rrpc, but I don't agree with it for several reasons:
    • The NTSA doesn't work like that. What actually happens is that the committee is elected, and then we hear very, very little about them and damn near nothing from them until the next AGM. We have no means of judging their performance, no metrics, no goals stated and reported on, no idea of what they did. How then, to make that judgement at the AGM every year?
    • Minutes are not transcripts. Minutes are a record of decisions made and tasks allocated and reports given and so forth. The minutes are a summary of the meeting's results, not a full transcript of every word said during the meeting. The closest I'd expect to see to that in the minutes would be the points of view considered in deciding on matters of importance (such as what to prioritise for funding for the year and so on). It is wholly possible to both keep the membership fully informed and hold the meetings in camera.
    • It's our association. That the members take an interest in what it does in our names should be a goal for the committee to strive for, not something to discourage and block. Why? Because who's going to be the next committee? One of our biggest problems is manpower. Yet Ireland is known internationally as having a high proportion of people who will volunteer. (The Year of the Volunteer was only two or three years ago, and much of this was discussed at the time). However, among the prime factors in what encourages people to volunteer for a job is knowing precisely what is required of those who take up that job and how it's done. People, in general, don't volunteer for a job whose tasks they don't know, and whose requirements they can't guess at.
    • We're an olympic sport with a long and proud history, and I'm sick to my gills of us always hiding away. I'm sick of us keeping everything under wraps. I'm sick of us not promoting ourselves and pushing information out there. And this is a facet of that.
    If you want to know these things, why not just ask?
    I did. When on committee. And was denied access to the minutes. And besides, you have to know what to ask before you can ask it!
    If you don't trust the answer to be honest, are you going to trust a set of edited minutes?
    No, but if there is a set of minutes showing what a decision is, then you can see if the committee follows up on that decision and thus judge if they're a good committee or a bad one, so you can make a decision on their re-election at the AGM.
    If I sat on a committee, and was asked by a member to publish the minutes of meetings I attended, I would see that as a fundamental mistrust of the decision making process and my own integrity.
    Would you insist on keeping your own actions in that room secret then? And the decisions made? How would you handle a direct question at the AGM so? It's not a logically consistent position to withhold information during the year, only to be questioned on it directly in public and on the record at the end of the year!
    But here's a question for you; How many other bodies publish the minutes of their private management meetings?.
    My answer is that I'm not interested in emulating other organisations; I'm interested in setting an example for them to follow!

And call me pessimistic, but I can't help but think that the deletion of the dissenting comments on the NTSA website by the new PRO does not auger well for the odds of the new committee bringing about changes in relation to openness and transparancy in the NTSA!

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    When the committee meets, and I know they usually don't think this way because it sounds terribly puffed-up, but they are meeting to make decisions in all our names. That's got a bit of weight behind it, and the decisions do impact us. So I'd like to see it undertaken with a bit less frivolity and a bit more of a sense of procedure, equitability, even decorum!
    When the cabinet meets, the same applies, and yet no government however much they puff out their chests in opposition on the matter has never agreed to publish the minutes
    I remember it well rrpc, but I doubt feeling annoyance at an annoying action can qualify as emotional baggage! It does raise the interesting point; how will the new committee members get up to speed on developments over the past 18 months, since they are not permitted to see those minutes?
    Well it was pretty much admitted at the EGM, that it was giving them to you that they had a problem with for whatever reason, real or imagined. Other members seemed to have no problem getting them which presumably holds true today.
    The NTSA doesn't work like that. What actually happens is that the committee is elected, and then we hear very, very little about them and damn near nothing from them until the next AGM. We have no means of judging their performance, no metrics, no goals stated and reported on, no idea of what they did. How then, to make that judgement at the AGM every year?
    Well they have goals now!, Motions were passed at the AGM, that must be followed on. We're not a big community, I think we'd notice if club level coaches were not appointed and trained for one.
    Minutes are not transcripts. Minutes are a record of decisions made and tasks allocated and reports given and so forth. The minutes are a summary of the meeting's results, not a full transcript of every word said during the meeting. The closest I'd expect to see to that in the minutes would be the points of view considered in deciding on matters of importance (such as what to prioritise for funding for the year and so on). It is wholly possible to both keep the membership fully informed and hold the meetings in camera.
    Don't patronise me, I know what minutes are, I used to take them for limited companies among other committees and boards I sat on. And they are supposed to be an accurate representation of the discussions and decisions made at a meeting. Their purpose is to act as a record of the meeting and a roadmap for the committee members as to what actions each needs to take and the timescale for taking them. The members of the committee are accountable to each other and to those who appoint them to carry out the functions of the organisation to the best of their ability in an orderly and timely fashion. I well remember old minute books with a 'For Action' column to record the name(s) of the person(s) designated to carry out tasks agreed at the meeting.
    Minutes were never designed or intended to be published generally, as this would create a further workload for the committee in dealing with issues again and again and again, as ordinary members would take up time discussing decisions made on an ongoing basis and thus bringing the proper business of the committee to a halt.
    It's our association.
    This one gets trotted out all the time, and it's meaningless! We devolve the decision making process to a committee or a board, and we question them at the AGM, that's the system that works time and again throughout the world
    That the members take an interest in what it does in our names should be a goal for the committee to strive for, not something to discourage and block.
    Taking an interest is a good thing, and need not be exclusive of seeing the minutes. As I said before, there are many ways to oversee a committee, and they do not require sight of minutes to do so.
    Why? Because who's going to be the next committee?...snipped...is knowing precisely what is required of those who take up that job and how it's done. People, in general, don't volunteer for a job whose tasks they don't know, and whose requirements they can't guess at.
    Really?, so you've no idea what a treasurer, secretary, PRO, target rifle coordinator etc. etc does???
    We're an olympic sport with a long and proud history, and I'm sick to my gills of us always hiding away. I'm sick of us keeping everything under wraps. I'm sick of us not promoting ourselves and pushing information out there. And this is a facet of that.
    No, it's not. See above.
    I did. When on committee. And was denied access to the minutes. And besides, you have to know what to ask before you can ask it!
    If you don't know what it is, how do you know it's a problem? This is getting strangely existential
    No, but if there is a set of minutes showing what a decision is, then you can see if the committee follows up on that decision and thus judge if they're a good committee or a bad one, so you can make a decision on their re-election at the AGM.
    You don't need minutes to see that. I've made decisions in the past about the suitability of people for posts based on their performance of set tasks that always existed for that post. If they can't do the standard stuff, then they can't do the rest either. Looking at minutes is just nit-picking, it smacks of trawling through reams of documentation for the purposes of standing up and saying 'Aha! Gotcha!'. Maybe that's a simplification, but I've stood up on my hind legs in public and called people to task for not carrying out their duties correctly, and I did not need minutes to do that.
    Would you insist on keeping your own actions in that room secret then? And the decisions made?
    Yes, I would. I would require the agreement of all present at the meeting before I divulged what they had said and what way they had argued. Decisions made 'in that room' would be public knowledge when they were implemented, and would not be secret per se before implementation, nor would a general discussion on other possible courses of action. However, I would not be second guessed after the fact, or be browbeaten into returning to a decision already made unless there was new, previously undisclosed information available that would materially alter that decision.
    How would you handle a direct question at the AGM so? It's not a logically consistent position to withhold information during the year, only to be questioned on it directly in public and on the record at the end of the year!
    Answer it truthfully! All members of the committee are present at the AGM, and therefore available to discuss their contribution to the debate. The logic is simple. The AGM is where the committee outlines it's work during the year and answers the questions of members as to it's successes or failures. They are not mutually exclusive.

Try looking at it this way. Decision X is reached at a committee meeting after a long discussion which also threw up alternative decisions A, B, C, D & E. X was reached as a best fit for all facets of the organisation. The minutes are published, and member A comes along and puts forward decision F which is a mixture of A & E. The committee say we didn't look at that one, so we'll go back and discuss it. Next meeting the discussion starts again and decision F it is decided is the way to go. However after the minutes are published member B comes along with an alternative suggestion G, which again is discussed and this time rejected as it would impact on group D. the minutes are published and member B is up in arms because he says member A has too much influence on the committee, and got his proposal through. The committee are forced to review the situation again at a subsequent meeting which comes up with decision X again. End result, four meetings same result, and a lot of lost time, decision X does not get rolled out until just before the AGM, when the committee have to listen to heated arguments about undue influence etc. etc. If minutes are not published decision X is reached, rolled out, and at the next AGM, is discussed in a rational manner with on the ground feedback as to how it could be tightened up , improved etc. in an open meeting where everyone gets their say.

You tell me which is better, and before you say it, it is hypothetical, but also sadly true, as I've seen this kind of thing going on, and it's never minuted.
    My answer is that I'm not interested in emulating other organisations; I'm interested in setting an example for them to follow!
    :D My your god complex is looking shiny today sir.

I gather that we are not going to agree on this one, and that's fine by me. Here's a final thought though; A camel is a horse designed by a committee, what you would get by publishing minutes is a committee to the nth degree and you wouldn't even get the camel.

rrpc wrote:
    Don't patronise me, I know what minutes are, I used to take them for limited companies among other committees and boards I sat on.
    And you think I've never taken minutes? You and I *both* know that they don't include the gaffes and outbursts that seem to be the main reason that the last committee never seemed to want to let anyone know what was in their minutes. And without releasing the minutes, rrpc, how do we gauge their progress with the goals that have been set for them, and those they are due to set for themselves and publish after their first meeting? Are we *all*, all 120-odd of us, supposed to ring the Chairman every month and question him on his progress? I think you know how that would go!

Publishing the minutes is an opportunity to effect a sea change in attitude at that table. And a sea change in attitude *is* needed. The fact that they've taken the dissenting comments off the NTSA website article on the Nationals, and then taken off the entire article itself is evidence of that. Barely a week in, and already they're erasing dissent that happened before they were elected?
    Taking an interest is a good thing, and need not be exclusive of seeing the minutes. As I said before, there are many ways to oversee a committee, and they do not require sight of minutes to do so.

But they do require active checking of the committee, which is more work than the average member has time for. By publishing the minutes, everyone can just read them straight out, and if they're claiming to do more than they have, everyone hears about it in short order. If they're not bothering to do the job, then everyone knows it. And likewise, if they're doing an exemplary job, everyone knows it too. Anyone who works for a living in any kind of engineering or IT job knows that it's often the case that you can be working your guts out on something and *still* catch flak from the boss for not working hard enough, unless you ensure that what you do is communicated up the chain. Same applies here. How can we judge performance without data on what was done?

And on another reason; Where do all the rumours and bad information that float around our community stem from? A lack of actual data from the horse's mouth about what's being done. Publishing the minutes wouldn't be a silver bullet for this, but it would alleviate the situation somewhat.
    Really?, so you've no idea what a treasurer, secretary, PRO, target rifle coordinator etc. etc does???
    On a national level? Only from having done the job myself. I had no idea of what was involved when I started, no contact details, no handover; and I certainly didn't have any desire to take up the job. I certainly knew how to do the club-level jobs (I'd done them for several years at that point in DURC), but what were the differences between club-level and NGB-level? No idea. Couldn't read the minutes to find out (as I did in DURC), and had to go searching for someone to ask about it (which I didn't have to do in DURC). Only reason I did volunteer at all, was that I was specifically asked to do so by someone I trusted at the time, and I did it more as a personal favour than anything else, because like most club shooters, I had little to no contact with, nor idea about, what the NTSA actually does, save a vague notion that it was somehow involved in the national squad.
    If you don't know what it is, how do you know it's a problem? This is getting strangely existential
    No it's not. You and I both know that some things that cause problems could have been spotted a mile off, had more people known about them. The scheduling of the Nationals, funding decisions, team selections - all of these have caused resentment and disillusionment down the years, and all of it was avoidable, just by putting the information out there ahead of time and listening to the response to it.
    Looking at minutes is just nit-picking, it smacks of trawling through reams of documentation for the purposes of standing up and saying 'Aha! Gotcha!'.
    That's the second time I've been accused of that this week, for simply looking to see whether the people who said "I can do the job" actually did it. And it's simply not true. Let me give you a specific example; the ISC, OCI and NCTC ran the 8th National Forum on Coaching on Sept. 2-4 this year. That's a bloody important conference - it's where things like the LTPAD model (which strategic plans follow), carding grant schemes, the national coaching development plan, and others were all thrashed out initially. And we didn't attend. There was no representation. Now me, I heard about it almost accidentally; but the NGB is notified by post of these things in advance. Now if I don't know it's on, I can't ask at the AGM what actually happened in it. It wasn't in the committee's report (there was no individual director's reports, despite 18 months of activity, instead there was one single report read out), and it wasn't mentioned on the website, and if there was communication about it to the members, then WTSC and DURC were left out of the loop on it (odd, since two of our three ISSF-qualified coaches are in WTSC). So how would I have known to ask, save by random chance? And I'd still have to be forward enough to stand up at the AGM and ask a committee - I've no problem with that myself, I know them well enough, but someone whose had no communications from them? It's too intimidating. And that's not my opinion, that's what I've been told by more than one person.

Maybe that's a simplification, but I've stood up on my hind legs in public and called people to task for not carrying out their duties correctly, and I did not need minutes to do that.
    True, but RRPC, isn't it fair to say that you and I know more about the NTSA committee than many shooters, since we've both been involved in it at one point or another?
    However, I would not be second guessed after the fact, or be browbeaten into returning to a decision already made unless there was new, previously undisclosed information available that would materially alter that decision.

I'm not sure how you get from reporting the decision reached with being required to return to it. However, if there is serious dissent over a decision, and it is possible to return to it to ensure a greater level of consensus, is this not the better thing to do for the good of the organisation?
    Answer it truthfully!
    And that would be a difference between yourself and some of those that were on last year's committee!
    The logic is simple. The AGM is where the committee outlines it's work during the year and answers the questions of members as to it's successes or failures.
    But that rarely happens. This year saw a perfunctory report for an 18-month period, and it was a particularly bad example; but in general, there isn't enough detail of what was done during the year available unless you were monitoring it yourself, and the reports are never available ahead of time (though credit where it's due, the treasurer's accounts were available ahead of time this year, and kudos to the treasurer for doing that), so people don't have time to reflect on them and so there are rarely questions on the day; though they often surface hours or days later.
    Try looking at it this way. ... End result, four meetings same result, and a lot of lost time, decision X does not get rolled out until just before the AGM, when the committee have to listen to heated arguments about undue influence etc. etc. If minutes are not published decision X is reached, rolled out, and at the next AGM, is discussed in a rational manner with on the ground feedback as to how it could be tightened up , improved etc. in an open meeting where everyone gets their say.

The problem here, is that you're assuming noone is doing work on solution X until all the arguments end; and since these only come up at the monthly meetings, you'd have to be not bothering to do any work after a solution was agreed the first time for it to become even possible. Also; you're forgetting that the agenda is published in advance of the meetings, so we see what decisions are going to be made and that means people have an opportunity to put forward their views to the committee and the committee can take them on board to avoid the later arguments. (I say can, that doesn't mean it happens - the only input to the decision on the Nationals this year was a formal written protest from DURC against the plan to put the Nationals as one single festival-type event because it cut them from the air rifle nationals; and that was ignored, brushed aside as though it didn't matter. That attitude is far more important as a factor in why you get the arguments!
    :D My your god complex is looking shiny today sir.
    Oh, bleh rrpc, you know me personally well enough to know that's not a god complex, it's pride in the shooters we have. I mean, seriously. We have the world championship gold medal in the shotgun team's display cabinet, along with numerous team and individual medals in gold and bronze from various world cups and european championships; the air rifle juniors have taken medals from bisley every time they've gone there; we've a sterling reputation abroad on the international circuit; and we've good people who put their backs into all aspects of the shooting community, even if we desperately need more!
    How the hell can you not want to shout to the world about that and say "look at us: this is how you're meant to do it!"???
    I gather that we are not going to agree on this one, and that's fine by me.
    I don't mind not agreeing with you rrpc; at least you're willing to give your reasoning about things! I still believe that we should be doing this, even if it's only as a trial for a year, however.
    Here's a final thought though; A camel is a horse designed by a committee, what you would get by publishing minutes is a committee to the nth degree and you wouldn't even get the camel.
    And yet, I'm thinking; if everyone feels they have a voice at the top table which is actually heard and listened to; where would the arguments stem from then? :D

I'm not going to quote from your two posts, as this thread is getting needlessly wordy, but here are a few points that spring to mind.

The first is trust. It is apparent that you fundamentally lack trust in the NTSA committee, and that is why you are looking for minutes. I understand where that lack of trust comes from, but I don't believe that publication of minutes is going to help in this regard. If anything it will widen the gulf between you and the committee, as you see in yourself the role of overseer of their actions, and they see in you a nuisance to be avoided at all costs. There is no quick fix to this situation, it will require a great degree of compromise and co-operation on both sides over a prolonged period to solve.

Real solutions to these problems need to be found, for the organisation to move forward in a more harmonious manner. You have made good points regarding failings in the past, but your solution would exacerbate the lack of trust inherent in the current relationship. To take the past minutes issue as a case in point: Your solution is to read the past minutes to read yourself into the job. A more elegant solution would be a detailed job description, along with contact numbers, names and other data that would help to complete the job efficiently. This could be updated regularly and would be far easier for a new incumbent than trawling through minutes ad nauseam.

The other problem with going through old minutes, is that they are just that; old. New committees should be brimming with new ideas, not focussing on the past. I'm sure that experiences from the past can help to illuminate decisions for the future., but these are the broad brush strokes that everyone in shooting is aware of, and not the minutiae of past arguments and discussion records.

You're nitpicking my hypothetical scenario. I thought it was too long already, but if you wanted me to write a book.... The camel is a horse analogy gets the point across just as well. And if you publish minutes just after a meeting, submissions will start coming in before any decision is rolled out. I am minded of Clint Eastwoods comment in one of the 'Dirty Harry' movies "Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.".

Having brought a large number of motions to the AGM, and having the greater number of them passed, I was under the impression that some sort of rapprochement was under way, and was encouraged to see this. I know that one or two that you had set great store by did not make it, but I thought it was a start. I was hoping to see a discussion develop on this board about the failed motions, but apart from clash and yourself and myself, no-one else seems to have got involved other than in slagging matches.

It does not appear that you can set up a poll on this board, but it would be interesting to have one on each topic, after a bit of debate has taken place, such as this one on minutes between yourself and myself. It would be interesting to see if the members here echoed the views of the members at the AGM.

Regarding the removal of the discussion topic on the NTSA website, I hadn't read it, but some of the comments were reproduced here, and some were more than a little insulting. Now I know you can say that criticism is a good thing, but I've also taken part in discussions on other sports clubs forums, and that sort of thing just never appears. It's not good for an association to be seen to be infighting all the time, and worse still to be publishing some puerile criticisms of itself on its own website.
    Sparks wrote:
    And yet, I'm thinking; if everyone feels they have a voice at the top table which is actually heard and listened to; where would the arguments stem from then?
    Of course there will be dissent. If there's dissent at the top table with small numbers involved, imagine adding 120 voices to the clamour?. Better I think, for each club to put a member forward for a job on the committee, and to have that member as a focal point for that club's interests. It's a smaller verion of constituency politics, but it's been around a long time.

And btw, I was never involved on the NTSA committee :p

In conclusion, here's a couple of new motions ot chew over.

1. All posts on the committee should carry a detailed job description, along with attached addendum containing all data necessary to carry out that job. The job description should be kept up to date and sent out to members along with the notice of the AGM.

Reason: So that putative members of the committee know what they are letting themselves in for.

2. All officers of the Association should prepare a detailed report of their activities throughout the year, such report to be circulated to members along with the notice of The AGM.

Reason: So that questions may be prepared in advance of the AGM, and to allow more time at the AGM for debate.

I have been rightly criticized in this thread for arguing against the person and not his arguments. Surely it is clear at this stage that the attitude of the person is the underlying cause and the arguments, motions etc are a symptom? That is not to say they have no merit.Many of them do but the way they are delivered detracts from the message. Nothing is more likely to raise opposition than views that are apparently expressed "ex Cathedra" . This is especially true if there is a history of animosity between the parties which in this case resulted from Sparks time on the NTSA committee. Sparks does not like the NTSA committee, the SSAI and I suspect many other groups of people. He does not seem to live in the same world as the rest of us where practicality has to take precedence over an extreme unilateral view of how the world should operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Lads this is all getting a bit personal. Seeing as most of the parties to this thread seem to know each other, and as I suspect many of the issues are going over everyone else's head, could some of this not be better dealt with via PM / email?

Sparks does not like the NTSA committee, the SSAI and I suspect many other groups of people.

On the contrary; I do not like what the NTSA committee have done; I do not like what the NRPAI committee have done; and I do not have some long list of people I don't get on with (I think the total number of people I can't work with comes to 4, not too bad after three decades).
    practicality has to take precedence over an extreme unilateral view of how the world should operate.
    Sorry tireur, but I accept neither that the viewpoint I have is extreme (because it's shared and was moulded by so many others who are seen as being the height of reasonableness); nor that practicality has to take precedence over doing the right thing for the sport.

On the former; if the problem is that I'm so extreme, why was there any support at all for the motions I put forward (and how am I so extreme, when those motions were all drafted by others over the last few years?); and on the latter, I'll point out that the course of action lauded by those who opposed the motions was the eminently impracticable one because it meant that the NGB in effect gave up its NGB status.

And on a last point, I'm quite willing to forgive ad hominem attacks - provided, that is, you actually stop making them.

Sparks wrote:
    Sorry tireur, but I accept neither that the viewpoint I have is extreme (because it's shared and was moulded by so many others who are seen as being the height of reasonableness); nor that practicality has to take precedence over doing the right thing for the sport.

On the former; if the problem is that I'm so extreme, why was there any support at all for the motions I put forward (and how am I so extreme, when those motions were all drafted by others over the last few years?); e
    My understanding is that there was no support at all for your key motion, i.e. No 1. You carried the block votes of DURC and WTSC , some of whose members were with you but none of whom spoke up on this motion. Where were the members who helped you develop your ideas? You say some of the existing committee and other NTSA members did this but they obviously changed their views.You were alone on the key issue and that set the tone. Some of your other motions were fine and the meeting clearly agreed them. Others had a good basis but were not worded well enough to be practicable.

My understanding is that there was no support at all for your key motion, i.e. No 1.
    Then you understood incorrectly. It was agreed at the AGM that one person would speak for the motion and one against; however, once the one person had spoken for, the rule fell by the wayside (this kind of thing has been happening a lot of late and really does need to cease). And you are incorrect in saying that noone else spoke for it; in fact others did. And for the past several years, many others have been speaking for it, at all levels from the grassroots right up to the Chairman of the committee.

Tell me, did you not realise, when the Committee announced at the AGM that the ISC wouldn't be in favour of the idea that the Committee would have had to have gone to the ISC looking to carry out the motion before they'd have found out the ISC's position on the matter? And that going to the ISC about it is not exactly a thing to do idly?

Also tireur, I think you're painting a slightly rosy picture of the actual atmosphere in that room. Perhaps, standing at the top of it, I had a different point of view from you; but somehow I don't think so, given that I've heard the same interpretation now from a dozen or more other witnesses.

edit: And I should point out that yes, I carried block votes for DURC and WTSC; but those who were there in person voted with me for the motions.

• Advertisement

And do I need to point out that if personal animosities were what swayed the votes, then we need to be wondering if in fact it's not a case of "it's Sparks, I know, but dammit, he's actually right"?
    After all, you've yet to indicate why it is that the motions which were defeated were bad...

Sparks wrote:
    Then you understood incorrectly. It was agreed at the AGM that one person would speak for the motion and one against; however, once the one person had spoken for, the rule fell by the wayside (this kind of thing has been happening a lot of late and really does need to cease). And you are incorrect in saying that noone else spoke for it; in fact others did. And for the past several years, many others have been speaking for it, at all levels from the grassroots right up to the Chairman of the committee.

Tell me, did you not realise, when the Committee announced at the AGM that the ISC wouldn't be in favour of the idea that the Committee would have had to have gone to the ISC looking to carry out the motion before they'd have found out the ISC's position on the matter? And that going to the ISC about it is not exactly a thing to do idly?
    No-one else spoke for the motion so your memory is incorrect. If any one had wanted to they would have done so. The reason more than one spoke against it was because people were clamouring to have their say. I do not understand your last point. I would have assumed that the NTSA reps meeting the ISA would be competent enough to ascertain a position on a subject like this without revealing a position?

Tireur, other people did speak for the motion. Not from the front of the room; but then, only two people stood up to speak against the motion (as I said, the rule regarding who would speak for and against the motion was dropped pretty fast), so by your logic, the majority of the NTSA is neither for nor against the motion!

Also, the NTSA couldn't go in to meet the ISC on another topic and gently hint about to evaluate their position on the matter. (They can't meet the ISC independently, remember?). They had to ask directly, and so got an official response that the ISC doesn't encourage that sort of thing. However, the official precedent was set by the Olympic Taekwondo association splitting from the Martial Arts Federation and being recognised independently. The NTSA is in a very similar position - support from the OCI, a valid reason to be recognised independently, and meeting the requirements to be an NGB. Whether or not it could be done is not really an issue.

OK Sparks just so you know where I stand:

Sparks wrote:
    Those passed and not passed, for the record:
    1. That the NTSA immediately withdraw from the NRPAI and seek independent recognition from the Irish Sports Council, the Federation of Irish Sports, the Department of Justice and other relevant bodies; but that our withdrawl not be contingent on such recognition.
      Not Passed
      Bad because of allowing parochial selfishness to let others divide and conquer
    2. That the agenda of all NTSA committee meetings be published on the website at least 3 days before committee meetings.
      Passed
      Obvious and easy The Agenda will usually not change from mtg to mtg
    3. That the minutes of all NTSA committee meetings be published on the website and made available to all NTSA members with the exception of the AntiDoping and Disciplinary committees, whose meetings should not be held concurrently with other meetings.
      Not Passed See what RRPC has said which makes a lot of sense to me.
    4. That the NTSA institute a programme of pistol safety courses for its members.
      Passed Teaching granny to suck eggs
    5. That the NTSA appoint a dedicated cartridge pistol coordinator for smallbore and fullbore pistol events; and charge him with the oversight of the reestablishment of pistol shooting in the republic.
      Passed
      As above
    6. That the NTSA commit to publishing a monthly newsletter.
      Passed OK
    7. That the NTSA change its membership policy from a club based system to an individual system, with the following fees:
      Club Affiliation fee: €50 per annum

Individual Membership:
      - First year, through an NTSA club: free
      - First year, not through an NTSA club: €2 student / €5 adult
      - Subsequent years: €2 student / €5 adult
      - Individuals may not serve on committee nor vo te in the AGM during their first year.

Optional extras:
      - Newsletter: €15 per annum or €2 per copy
      - Insurance: As per Insurance policy details
      Not Passed
      A recipe for reducing income without increasing membership. Evidence of confused thinking
    8. That term limits be defined for each committee position as follows;
      - Chairman: 2 terms
      - Other committee position: 3 terms
      - each term to be one olympic cycle.
      Withdrawn
      Poor definition and wording. Not thought through.
    9. That the system of registered shoots be abolished and replaced with;
      - A list of recognised shoots whose scores can be used for the purposes of maintaining national averages, rankings and classifications; and
      - Supported Shoots, one per discipline per NTSA club, where the NTSA pays for all operational costs of the competition from targets to prizes to advertising and the club keeps all entry fees.
      Not Passed
      See RRPC comments
    10. That the NTSA institute formal review meetings following all National Championships, International Matches in which the NTSA send Irish shooters to compete, and all Supported Shoots. Minutes of these meetings to be made available to all NTSA members via the website.
      Not Passed
      See itms concerning minutes in general
    11. That a maximum wind velocity be set for outdoor matches beyond which scores will not be counted for national ranking purposes.
      Not Passed
      Ludicrous nit picking
    12. That outdoor and indoor prone rifle shooting averages, rankings and classifications be maintained seperately.
      Passed
      Common sense.
    13. That a subcommittee be appointed with representatives from all NTSA clubs to review the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the NTSA, it's final recommendations to be made available to all NTSA members.
      Passed
      OK
    14. That an internal appeals process be instituted for cases where formal complaints are made to the committee.
      Passed
      OK
    15. That the NTSA appoint an Anti-Doping Officer.
      Not Passed
      No comment

16. That the NTSA appoint a Children's Officer.
      Not Passed
      No comment
    17. That the NTSA appoint a Ladies' Officer.
      Passed
      No comment
    18. That the NTSA appoint a Collegiate Officer.
      Passed
      No comment
    19. That the NTSA commit to building a National Shooting Centre and to that end appoint a dedicated Development Officer.
      Passed
      This sort of aspiration makes sense.
    20. That the NTSA commit to have at least one club-level coach accredited by the NTSA and NCTC in each NTSA club within two years; and that at least one club-level coach be accredited by the NTSA and NCTC in each new NTSA club within two years of the club affiliating to the NTSA.
      Passed
      As above
    21. That the NTSA discipline coordinators convene subcommittees comprising representatives from each club which shoots their discipline; said representatives to be active shooters at at least club level in that discipline.
      Withdrawn
      Definition problems
    22. That the NTSA create a network of club PROs who are in contact with one another and the national PRO.
      Not Passed
      Should be working informally
    23. That the NTSA allocate a realistic budget for Public Relations.
      Passed
      What is realistic?
    24. That the NTSA actively pursue corporate sponsorship for the National Squad.
      Passed
      OK who will do it?

25. That the NTSA itself apply for a grant under the Capital Grants Scheme to purchase equipment that can be used nationally, such as electronic target scoring machines, equipment control gauges and so on.
      Passed
      OK
    26. That the NTSA schedule seperate 10m Airgun and 50m Rifle National Championships at the end of their respective seasons from next year onwards.
      Not Passed
      Committe should decide matters such as this each year based on the exigencies of the prevailing situations
    27. That the NTSA committee, at its first post-AGM meeting, publicly state its goals for the coming year and how they plan to achieve these goals.
      Passed
      OK. I hope they get all clubs to help,
    28. That from next year's AGM, nominees for committee posts must be submitted to the committee prior to the AGM notice being sent to NTSA members; that a deadline for this be made publicly known and listed in the offical calendar; and that such candidates be permitted to submit a brief written note (of up to 200 words) regarding why they feel they are the best choice for the post; and that the list of nominees and their submissions be circulated as part of the AGM notice to the NTSA members.
      Withdrawn
      They are all volunteers. Why turn it into a beauty parade.

Sparks wrote:
    Tireur, other people did speak for the motion. Not from the front of the room; but then, only two people stood up to speak against the motion (as I said, the rule regarding who would speak for and against the motion was dropped pretty fast), so by your logic, the majority of the NTSA is neither for nor against the motion!

Also, the NTSA couldn't go in to meet the ISC on another topic and gently hint about to evaluate their position on the matter. (They can't meet the ISC independently, remember?). They had to ask directly, and so got an official response that the ISC doesn't encourage that sort of thing. However, the official precedent was set by the Olympic Taekwondo association splitting from the Martial Arts Federation and being recognised independently. The NTSA is in a very similar position - support from the OCI, a valid reason to be recognised independently, and meeting the requirements to be an NGB. Whether or not it could be done is not really an issue.
    As regards your first point, have you forgotten about the voting? I just think it was odd that the people from the clubs whose block votes you wielded did not feel able to speak in support of you. Was it that they were nervous about being associated with such a motion and needed a fall guy?
    On the second point, you have no idea about the mechanics of how the NTSA raised the point with the ISC. Neither have I but I believe they are competent enough to do it subtly.

tireur wrote:
    OK Sparks just so you know where I stand:
    Now we're getting places!
    1. That the NTSA immediately withdraw from the NRPAI and seek independent recognition from the Irish Sports Council, the Federation of Irish Sports, the Department of Justice and other relevant bodies; but that our withdrawl not be contingent on such recognition.
    Bad because of allowing parochial selfishness to let others divide and conquer

You're wrong here tireur. This is the "let's all stand together" argument, I've heard it a thousand times before. Thing is, I keep noticing that the current situation is not all shooters standing together - it's certain shooters being forced to bow the knee before other shooters. If the NTSA is to stand with other shooters, it must first be able to stand!

And I also have to point out, that the loudest proponents of the current setup are those to whom the shooters are expected to bow the knee...
    Obvious and easy The Agenda will usually not change from mtg to mtg
    Unfortunately, that's true - and that totally bypasses the entire point of the motion, namely, to let the members give their views to the committee before a decision is made, instead of being reduced to complaining afterwards, with all the ill-feeling that that generates!
    Passed Teaching granny to suck eggs
    Then maybe granny should have learnt to case her pistol when leaving the firing line rather than learning how to suck eggs...
    5. That the NTSA appoint a dedicated cartridge pistol coordinator for smallbore and fullbore pistol events; and charge him with the oversight of the reestablishment of pistol shooting in the republic.
    Passed
    As above
    Ah, but where was the pistol coordination in the year-and-a-bit since they were reintroduced? Sometimes the obvious doesn't get done :(
    A recipe for reducing income without increasing membership. Evidence of confused thinking
    As was explained on the day, we need to increase membership. Nothing thus far has worked. If we keep going this way, we'll have to have a fight at every AGM to keep the numbers up. Remember, the average age of a licenced firearms owner in Ireland is a fair whack north of 40. We need new blood in the sport (pardon the poor choice of words) - and keeping students and juniors in the NGB is a good step forward. And anyone that thinks that students have lots of money lying about had better not be earning his living from trying to be a market analyst!
    11. That a maximum wind velocity be set for outdoor matches beyond which scores will not be counted for national ranking purposes.
    Ludicrous nit picking
    Not. As was explained in the meeting by the chap sitting to my left (who holds a national championship medal or two in 50m shooting) and the chap behind me (who holds a few more and has shot for Ireland in 50m matches abroad), it was a measure that tried to, in a practical and realistic manner, make the process of maintaining national averages a bit fairer.
    Definition problems
    Which were explained on the day quite well. We've actually had discipline coordinators who tried this and were slapped down for it by the committee, so I suspect that not all motives were fully explained on this one.
    Should be working informally
    How can it work informally? Do you know who all the PROs are? Their phone numbers? Who to call in the national or local press? The network was meant to provide a means to get all that information to club PROs. And as to why it didn't get passed, this was the point in the meeting where the Quote of the AGM was uttered: accountability only stymies the system.
    What is realistic?
    As I specifically stated, on the record at the time, "realistic" means, at a base level, that the PRO doesn't have to pay for the costs of the NTSA newsletter out of his own pocket again.
    OK who will do it?
    That would be the committee's job. Appoint someone to do it if you need a dedicated person; otherwise, have everyone try to get funding from one company per month. That's what, 48 companies tried per year?
    Committe should decide matters such as this each year based on the exigencies of the prevailing situations
    And the protests of those that the decision cut out of the nationals mean nothing, do they?
    OK. I hope they get all clubs to help,
    I do hope they don't make the same misinterpretation. Those goals are what the committee are going to do, not what they're going to ask people to do. And before you say that it's too much to ask for, this is precisely what I did when I was on the committee. Written, submitted goals. And every month, a list of what my progress towards those goals had been. And as a result, whenever I had a spare hour to give to the NTSA, I had a list of things I could work on, rather than have to faff about for 50 minutes trying to think of what to do for the remaining ten!
    They are all volunteers. Why turn it into a beauty parade.
    Because not everyone in the clubs know who they are or what their records are.

tireur wrote:
    I just think it was odd that the people from the clubs whose block votes you wielded did not feel able to speak in support of you. Was it that they were nervous about being associated with such a motion and needed a fall guy?
    I think tireur, that the interesting point there is not the answer to your question; but that the question itself is valid.
    Why would someone with a dissenting opinion need to take such machevellian measures in an association (which exists to serve their needs) that was working correctly?

On the second point, you have no idea about the mechanics of how the NTSA raised the point with the ISC. Neither have I but I believe they are competent enough to do it subtly.
    Actually, I asked them when I was on committee. They just asked the OCI and the ISC about it. The OCI said they'd back us to the ISC and support us in the meantime; the ISC gave the official line of "we don't encourage fragmentation".

Thing about the idea of fragmentation, though, is that splitting from the NRPAI does not mean that the NTSA and other NGBs would be split up; it just means that the NTSA would be able to stand beside them instead of being forced to kneel before them.

BTW, if it should be "all shooters together", then why is it that we have the IPSA and the NRAI as seperate NGBs and why is there animosity between the NRPAI and the IPSA? Why aren't the NARGC and NRPAI and IPCSA all meeting to decide how to merge to one single body? And where was the independent (you can't ask the committee members to do this job!) NRPAI representative at the NTSA AGM?

You seem to kneel a lot Sparks. Are you praying for something nice to happen?
    Were you a serf in an earlier incarnation?

That's humourous tiruer, but not exactly an answer...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    I think tireur, that the interesting point there is not the answer to your question; but that the question itself is valid.
    Why would someone with a dissenting opinion need to take such machevellian measures in an association (which exists to serve their needs) that was working correctly?

I would not have thought being devious was the motivation for hiding. I would have thought shame was more likely.

Advertisement