Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Recommendations? Not a tits-n-tentacles fan

Options
  • 07-09-2005 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Any anime recommendations? Series or movies. I'm not a huge tits-n-tentacles fan (Ledgend of the overfiend etc). LOVED Cowboy Bebop series/movie, quite likes Lain (Although the video clips on the DVD were a bit uncomfortable) Love Ghibli films. Liked Ghost In the Shell (Have Innocence but not watched yet and series) + of course Akira (Overrated now but what an intro to Anime for the west huh?)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

wolf's rain
    witch hunter robin
    both of those are pretty good. or yakitate japan!! i like this, millions probably won't

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Try Paranoia Agent... It's a very interesting little series about a bunch of different characters who are all connected in some way by a series of voilent assualts by a mysterious character called Lil' Slugger.

The guy who did Paranoia Agent also did Perfect Blue, which is an excellent psychological thriller, and Tokyo Godfathers, which is a really enjoyable feel-good comedy adventure.

He's also done Millenium Actress... I haven't seen that one yet but I've currently got the DVD pre-ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Start reading the Battle Royale manga. It's excellent. Some bits are slightly gay, but the characters are developed very well and it's extreeeemly violent and a bit sick. Very entertaining! There's about 16 parts. Last part is out next month.

Oh, and anything by Rumiko Takahashi!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Try Noir, pretty classy action/mystery, a few little Lain like scenes. I loved Lain but the only other character i can think of thats Lain like would be Shinji in Evangelion

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

cade wrote:
    Try Noir, pretty classy action/mystery, a few little Lain like scenes. I loved Lain but the only other character i can think of thats Lain like would be Shinji in Evangelion
    Ah, Noir is terribly boring after the first couple of episodes until the last three; great soundtrack though.

I don't think Lain is at all comparable to Shinji. None of the neurosis or even humanity; Lain was just a weirdo.
    Though it's been a few years since I watched Lain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Just started watching Eva myself so i was refering to how distant and receded from the rest of the human race shinji was, but as i'm seeing his character does evolve, at 1 stage to keitaro from love hina(scene in rei's apt.)
    Noir, i just like it, though i'm now stuck halfway through, it seems Lazer only stock the beginning of the series for rental, i'm now stuck halfway in Eva and Cowboy bebop aswell, dang it.

PS. hope you didn't change your avatar on my account......Didn't mean to intrude :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

cade wrote:
    PS. hope you didn't change your avatar on my account......Didn't mean to intrude :)

Heh, I just happened to sumbit a paid subscription to the forums yesterday, no worries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's just not CuLT without the Vega avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 The Truth!

Golgo 13: The professional
    Appleseed
    Evangelions a great anime series
    Gungrave
    Vampire Hunter is great too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

If You Liked Ghost In The Shell Have A Look At Blood The Last Vampire, Very Short But Well Done. Mamoru Oshii Rules.
    I Thought Battle Angel Alita Was Cool Aswell...
    Perfect Blue Is Also Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'll give 'em a go......... As for Battle Angel, can't wait to see if James Cameron actually DOES get round to making it: 200million budget live action........ in 3D!!!!????!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Makaveli wrote:
    It's just not CuLT without the Vega avatar.
    He folded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Mslug

Bleach. Cause everyone likes Bleach. It's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Emo Kid

Hi folks,
    Any anime recommendations? Series or movies. I'm not a huge tits-n-tentacles fan (Ledgend of the overfiend etc). LOVED Cowboy Bebop series/movie, quite likes Lain (Although the video clips on the DVD were a bit uncomfortable) Love Ghibli films. Liked Ghost In the Shell (Have Innocence but not watched yet and series) + of course Akira (Overrated now but what an intro to Anime for the west huh?)

Cheers
    hey mmm.... Gungrave have you ever seen is brilliant!!!!!!!!

Emo Kid

Advertisement