Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this be done

• 07-09-2005 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Hi I was looking at Broadband. I am thinking of getting it, I was talkig to a friend. He is also thinking of getting it. So we were thinking of getting a wireless broadband connection, we were thinking of joining the two of them up together and have just oe so that we can use it together. Would it be possible to do this as he only lives about 5 mins away at most.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

One of you could get it and you could run a very long cat5 cable to the others house!

Or morepractically, you could see if you're within rangefor a wireless router or somethin, i'm no expert, but i'm sure it can be done, it'd be much easier if you were just next door though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Get yourself some Pringles and you'll be sorted:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Or if your too lazy for that there now seems to be ready made Pringles on a tripod for you as well:

http://www.cantenna.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Just put enough security on it to keep your other neighbours from jumping in and using it. Is there not a way to do it over over IP addresses that would give the same benefits? I dont know but maybe someone can tell you if/how it can be done.
    Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

your buddy lives five minuites away!!! thats gotta be more than 200 meters..wifi routers at best... line of sight and all that can only do 100 meters distance..

correct me im wrong...

also cat 6 cable...best results if under 100meters length...

easy option is to set broadband up in the one house and the other mate can have timeshare on it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Minutes is a rather unreliable unit of measure for distance. Ideally you should support your question with the distance measured in meter or yards. Also, information about possible line of sight would help a lot - i.e., can you see his house from yours? Or at least can you see his roof from yours? If the answer is no, you are very unlikely to be able to find an economically viable solution as far as I can see.

But, if there is line of sight, even if the distance is something like 1 Km, you might be able to set a wireless connection using directional antennas, and the whole setup could pay for itself in around 6 months (compared to paying for two broadband accounts).

Disclaimer: Obviously you are responsible for confirming that there are no legal issues with your ISP, even though they may not be able to detect the sharing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You need fairly close range (ie next coupla houses) for this to work.

the new Mimo kit has a lot better range so you should maybe check that out. Its pricey compared to the older bog standard kit.

You might also want to look at setting up a WAP as a repeater if you are on friendly terms with any of the neighbours between you and him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I you have clear line of sight you can get an 11g wireless router to travel a great difference. Pick up a copy of o'reilly wireless hacks. This is one of the most invaluable books when it comes to what your doing.

Slear line of sight is a must and the further your are planning to go with the signal the better the equipment you will need.

How far is it from one house to the other?
    Are you thinking of both paying for one connection and sharing or are ye thinking of getting two connection and just networking together. In that case you can use vpn.

More info leads to more answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

using an out of the box wifi router yes, you'll only get at max (dep. on hardware) 100-200m range, but they are not your only options.

Cantenna's are very effective directional antennas that can be used with wifi routers (with the right connectors) to make a point to point wifi connection over several km for very little extra cost.

if you really want somethignto aspire to though, then have a look at these guys:

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

using nothing more than USB wifi antenna's and some assorted chinese cookware costing (mostly) less than $5 (NZ) they have achieved wifi connections at distances in excess of 15km, so nothing you're asking is out of the question despite what some people here seem to think.

a little bit of independant research can yeild great rewards. ;)

Advertisement