Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booing @France game :(

• 07-09-2005 8:07pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats with the disgusting booing tonight?
    Am i missing something?
    Sickening to hear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

its brilliant.. irish fans are far too nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Ah relax will ya, they're booing everyone that came back from retirement, it's just a way to try and put them off, and it's work. Great tactic by the Irish fans, players coming back from retirement who get booed will wonder wtf are they doing there.

COME ON IRELAND!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Dcully wrote:
    Am i missing something?
    Sickening to hear.

LOL!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Should have expected replies like this tbh :(
    If it was the other way round im sure yas would be here moaning ffs.
    As regards an excuse itsretired players coming back, has Vierra,Henry,Wiltord,Galas come back from retirement?
    Cmon Ireland btw,france are there for the taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Calm down will ya. I am assuming they are booing the french in an attempt to put them off their game, and to create an intimidating athmosphere? Perfectly acceptable IMO.

Though I do think some of the imbeciles in the ground are booing Boumsong because he is a former Rangers player :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Dcully wrote:
    Am i missing something?
    Sickening to hear.

:rolleyes: Yes! we should all get together hold hands and sing koom-bi-ya after all it’s not like this is a competition or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

its about time with started intimidating the away team, does anyone remember the crowd at Anfield when Liverpool played Chelsea in the semis of the CL, the atmosphere was killer. It really fu*ked chelsea up!

More power to the fans, keep the boo's coming !

LOL guess im on my own here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

bizmark wrote:
    :rolleyes: Yes! we should all get together hold hands and sing koom-bi-ya after all it’s not like this is a competition or anything

hahah, classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The crowd are really up for it tonight!!

Should be a great second half.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of booing to put the other players off.
    Although if we were in france and France were playing like this, there own fans would be booing them! (it happens)

Gwan the Ireland

• Advertisement

Ah feck it your probably right,screw it let the booing continue:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Dcully wrote:
    Ah feck it your probably right,screw it let the booing continue:P

LOL it took less than an hour for you to turn Cully! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dcully wrote:
    LOL guess im on my own here :)

i agree with you but guess i am on my own now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

booing when the opposition have the ball is great. one of the more effective ways to make home advantage count...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

No real malice in it.
    Perhaps if they only booed only one particular player all through the game, that'd be questioned, but they were booing the French every time they had the ball.
    It's just a way of showing home crowd advantage.
    All part of football tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

sjones wrote:
    Ah relax will ya, they're booing everyone that came back from retirement, it's just a way to try and put them off, and it's work. Great tactic by the Irish fans, players coming back from retirement who get booed will wonder wtf are they doing there.

Yes let's all Boo Roy Keane.........

It's the difference between the majority of soccer fans and rugby fans in these isles... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

well they were asked to create a hostile atmosphere, that was pretty fecking hostile, not that it did much good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well they're gonna support the irish players. by definition, that means NOT SUPPORTING the french players ie being AGAINST them. how the hell are they meant to show "anti-support" for the french players? talk amongst themselves? write a column in their weekly newsletter? send a few txts to their mates sayin henry smells of wee wee? stay perfectly silent?

look fact is, its a game & its entertainment!! nobody ever whinges when the baddys in pantomimes get boo-ed. same difference!! its nothin personal. stop bein overly PC and grow some male genetalii ok?!?!

Women! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Booing the opposition for being the opposition is perfectly acceptable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

the funniest thing last night was during the french national anthem - given that the tune is well recognised by most people - an awful lot of irish people where singing along, except singing "dum da dum dum dum dum dum da dum, dum da dum dum dum da dum". Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    the funniest thing last night was during the french national anthem - given that the tune is well recognised by most people - an awful lot of irish people where singing along, except singing "dum da dum dum dum dum dum da dum, dum da dum dum dum da dum". Hilarious.

That was quite funny actually. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

sjones wrote:

DubGuy wrote:

It's the difference between the majority of soccer fans and rugby fans in these isles...

Ouch.......Isn't there a law against being brutally honest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I for one am appalled - think of the potential tourism we lost in giving France such a bad reception. We should have been more gracious hosts and aplauded and cheered every time they had the ball. There's no point in wearing a leprechaun hat and a waving about a tri-colour with a pub's name on it if you're not willing to go the extra mile for out masterful visitors. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Well there goes our friendliest and most behave fans tag, i was ashamed of it. Totally uncalled for. It can institgate crowd trouble which is not what the irish are about.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

The exact same thing actually happened in Paris.. The French loved it then too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What a load of rubbish. The idea is to help the Irish team by creating the most hostile and intimidating enviroment for visiting teams to play is. Who give's a crap what everyone else thinks of is - I'd rather be disliked as a winner that liked as a loser.

I for one am appalled - think of the potential tourism we lost in giving France such a bad reception. We should have been more gracious hosts and aplauded and cheered every time they had the ball. There's no point in wearing a leprechaun hat and a waving about a tri-colour with a pub's name on it if you're not willing to go the extra mile for out masterful visitors. :rolleyes:

**** I nearly took the bait.. Damn the lack of sleep!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think booing everytime a French player got the ball last night was ridiculous, and it lost its affect after a few mins as players are used to just tuning that out, mentally. It would have been far better to have the Irish fans cheering vociferously for the Irish, all the time and maling a real loud nose.

I agree on Kerr's stance, that a hostile stadium of mad opposing fans can create a difficult environment for opposition to perform. But we can be hostile without being negative with booing. Sure, we could have started throwing coins and plastic bottles at them as well, wouldnt that have helped our cause too? There is a place for booing if a player does something dirty or if an official makes a blatant mistake, but not booing for the sake of booing, a waste of energy and negative. I'd say even the Irish players got sick of it after a while.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i appreciated that the french anthem has been respected. it happen not that often.
    i didn't notice that the players were booing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

lili wrote:
    i appreciated that the french anthem has been respected. it happen not that often.
    i didn't notice that the players were booing.

:D

Should have booed each other tbh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Is this a serious thread?

Well if it is, I hope the booing didn't ruin ye're first ever football match lads :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

redspider wrote:
    Sure, we could have started throwing coins and plastic bottles at them as well, wouldnt that have helped our cause too?

Don't be ridiculous. Here's an apple...oh oh here's an orange. Can you tell the difference?

It's perfectly acceptable to boo the opposition when they have the ball, what's really wrong with it like? It's hurting nobody except hopefully their performances. Unless of course some player is singled out for being a Rangers player or whatever...now that's not on. I remembered once for one match at Lansdowne they MISTAKINGLY announced some player was with Rangers and the crowd all started booing him every time he got the ball :rolleyes: Pure stupidity...

I thought the atmosphere last night really helped us. Yet it still wasn't the best I've ever heard at Lansdowne :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

The problem is its a lack of resepct more then anything else. I cant see how it can be seen as a good thing from any respect as booing is either to:

a) Intimitate Players to make them play badly, which is gamesmanship which is equivalent to things like diving / hassling the ref for decisions / fouling players in dangerous positions

or

b) Because they play for some disliked club or come froma disliked minority, in Irelands case - Rangers. Anyone who boos someone for playing for rangers is a knob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

DubGuy wrote:

It's the difference between the majority of soccer fans and rugby fans in these isles... :rolleyes:

And that's why rugby bores me.

My god people whinging about booing opposition players, god help any of you who ever attend any big derby on the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I can't believe this thread is even here. If you want to watch a big match with no booing I suggest you go and watch the Ashes or something. Don't moan about it here. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its easier to boo then cheer your own team on.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Excellent thread for the sensitive types :D

redspider: "we could have started throwing coins and plastic bottles at them as well, wouldnt that have helped our cause too?"
    It's perfectly acceptable to boo the opposition when they have the ball, what's really wrong with it like? It's hurting nobody except hopefully their performances. Unless of course some player is singled out for being a Rangers player or whatever...now that's not on.

For some football followers, it's perfectly acceptable to throw plastic bottles at the opposition, and they will say the equivalent of: "what's really wrong with it like? It's hurting nobody".

Once you go down a negative path, its subjective as to what is acceptable or not. I may think booing is not on, you may think its ok, you may think that throwing plastic bottles is not on, someone else will think its ok, etc, etc. You need to draw the line somewhere, and my point is to forget negativity completely. Its moronic.

Ironically, you also mention that "it's not on" to boo a player just because he plays or has played with Rangers. This is the exact same thing - booing a player just because he plays for France is equally as idiotic as booing a player if he once played for Rangers. Your reasoning is decidedly selective!

Finally, this is not a major talking point of the game, and maybe the booing wasnt extensive. Was there any booing after France got their goal? Probably not. Why? Well, because it doesnt work.

Overall, it is something that Irish fans shouldnt resort to, it is not a sign of respect for players or towards other nationalities and fans and will not win us the tag of "best fans in the world".

For those of you that think moronic booing without reason is manly and part of football, grow up, take a look in the mirror - you might find a wimp staring back at you.

Btw, I agree with with your post Truckle and those posters of a simiar view.

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

redspider wrote:
    Overall, it is something that Irish fans shouldnt resort to, it is not a sign of respect for players or towards other nationalities and fans and will not win us the tag of "best fans in the world".

"Cead mile failte me a**e" Christy Moore nailed it, its gone.

• Advertisement

dbnavan wrote:
    "Cead mile failte me a**e" Christy Moore nailed it, its gone.

Sure then, if its intimidation Irish fans are to be judged on from now on, sure we did a crap job. Where was the stoning of the French team bus? Where was the noise outside the team hotel all night, with Police in riot gear keeping the riot back. Where were the irish fans who should have been spitting in the faces and on the heads of French fans, who should have been attacking fans outside and inside the ground, with bottles, flagons, cans, hi-ace vans? Where was the threat of violence? Where was the real intimidation?

Only booing, what a shower of wussies ! We can do "better" than that. If its intimidation and a cauldron Brian wants, that pathetic attempt at booing was a poor show. If its the opposite of Cead Mile Failte, we can be just as good in the oppositie direction. Should have worn my hoody and scarf to the match, brought along a wee can of petrol just in case, for the odd molotiv cocktail, or fire flares at the fans, and players.

Intimidation, we can do it, but its NOT a sensible choice. Each match could become a battle of Lansdowne. All countries would fear playing here.

If something should be stuck up an a.r.s.e, its intimidation, and booing. Yes, your arse Christy.

redspider

Its just think its uncalled for and not very sporting.
    I always look upon booing from a teams` supporters as a sign of a poor team when their fans can do little more than boo the superior opposition as they have little confidence in having anything to cheer about.
    No real harm i suppose at the end of the day but its slightly on the pathetic side,then again our team is bordering on pathetic at times.
    If it were the French booing the Irish team in Paris ,i can imagine the moaning here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I thought I had heard it all till I read this thread.

I thought I had heard it all till I read this thread.

Nice input there man

Well what do you want me to say. People boo in football. They often boo other teams when they have posession in an attempt to put the opposition off. Nothing wrong with it, it is done all over the world in veery league. Booing an individual player is also done, it is however done for moronic reasons such as in irelands case he used to play rangers with the celtic brigade. However players may also be singled out for a bad tackle they have commited or say diving for a penalty.

If the irish team got booed in france so what I dont think anyone who has a grasp of what happens at football matches would have batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

redspider wrote:
    For some football followers, it's perfectly acceptable to throw plastic bottles at the opposition, and they will say the equivalent of: "what's really wrong with it like? It's hurting nobody".
    Are you for real? If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling.

As for your above statement. The type of person that would throw something at a player at a football match wouldn't say, "It's not hurting anybody" they would be much more likely to say "I hope it knocks him out the next time" Why? Because people that throw missiles at players are morons.

To compare booing a team and throwing missiles is just silly. They are 2 completely different things. Nobody gets hurt with the former.

redspider wrote:
    Ironically, you also mention that "it's not on" to boo a player just because he plays or has played with Rangers. This is the exact same thing - booing a player just because he plays for France is equally as idiotic as booing a player if he once played for Rangers. Your reasoning is decidedly selective!
    WTF? How is his reasoning "decidedly selective"? They are 2 completely different things. Booing someone to put them off their game while they are playing your team is not the same as booing someone due to some sick sectarian reason.

FYI. I was at the match on Wednesday and the Fans actually started to cheer the Irish players when they were passing the ball but sadly, due to our squads inabillty to string a decent amount of passes together, it wasn't long before we gave the ball away, therefore resulting in the opposition getting booed. It is something I've seen in nearly every Premiership, Champion's League, International match I've seen. NO BIG DEAL!!!
    redspider wrote:
    For those of you that think moronic booing without reason is manly and part of football, grow up, take a look in the mirror - you might find a wimp staring back at you.
    Do you write into shows like Points of View complaining that people have swore on TV shows after the watershed? :rolleyes:
    PORNAPSTER wrote:
    I can't believe this thread is even here. If you want to watch a big match with no booing I suggest you go and watch the Ashes or something. Don't moan about it here.
    Exactly.

B.

Hey ronan ,i was having a laugh with you,notice the smilie.

Trust me i have a grasp of what goes on a fottie games alright,dont worry about that.
    Just because we express an opinion, we automatically dont have a grasp of what goes @ footie matches according to you?

I can't believe this thread is even here. If you want to watch a big match with no booing I suggest you go and watch the Ashes or something. Don't moan about it here.

So we express an opinion and we are moaning?

*dont leave work pc unattented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The main problem with Ireland fans is that 90% of them only know one or two songs, and when you have such a limited selection of songs, it's much easier to just boo the opposition. Yes, it helps create a generally hostile environment, but it doesn't do a whole lot in terms of encouraging the Ireland players.

Advertisement